“Best Place I Have Ever Stayed, Great food, service, activities” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of The Lodge at Glendorn

The Lodge at Glendorn
Huntsville, Alabama
“Best Place I Have Ever Stayed, Great food, service, activities”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 July 2011

Have stayed here three time and plan on making it an annual trip. Best service and facilities you'll ever find. The staff and management could not give any better service. They will accomidate your every need and make you feel welcome. We loved the horseback riding, trail walking, feeding the large trout, dinners at the lake, can't wait to go on a float trip. We get there and never want to leave.

Room Tip: All rooms and lodges are great we love the Hideout, secluded, private, even has its own shooting gal...
  • Stayed July 2011, travelled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (44)
New york, NY
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 July 2011

We stayed here for 3 nights & absolutely loved it. If you like cookie-cutter properties, then Glendorn isn't for it. It is oozing with charm & the property is quite unique. It was originally a wealthy family's summer camp, similar to the great Adirondack estates. We stayed in the Roost, one of the original cabins with 5 bedrooms. It had so much character & one felt like they were going back in time - it was like being in the 1930s. The other cabins are more modern. The beds were extremely comfortable, with luxurious linens & everything was top of the line & well maintained. The bathrooms are also wonderful with great soaking tubs, and the sitting rooms were comfortable & cozy.

This property would be perfect for a romantic escape, or for families. We bike rode, took a guided horseback ride with an amazing guide, went skeet shooting, & fished. Shane was the best shooting instructor. There are also miles & miles of hikes. The grounds are stunning & well maintained, & there is a lot of privacy given the layout. We used the babysitting service & it was fantastic. The pool is also wonderful.

The food was decadent & delicious (& we are from New York City & used to great food). We will definitely return.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled with family
2 Thank Kikik1234
Parsippany, NJ
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 June 2011

Recently returned from Glendorn and my wife and I were very impressed with our stay - the staff was magnificent, friendly and catered to every request; the cabin we stayed in was immaculate and had all of the amenities we needed. The meals were absolutely fantastic - the chef made something as tough as brussel sprouts edible! We did some horseback riding which was located on the property; our guide was so helpful and made our ride very enjoyable. We even did some trap shooting which we've never done before - the instructor was fantastic and had a ball! It was too bad we didn't stay longer.

• Stayed May 2011, travelled as a couple
Buffalo, New York
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 April 2011

We have been to Glendorn several times and have always been enchanted. If you love the Adirondack Great Camp style of rustic elegance it is a must see.

We decided to go there for their advertised Easter Sunday Brunch. Yes, it's pricey but usually delivers. However this time we were somewhat disappointed. The brunch buffet started with a so-so Cesear salad, soup was an outstanding Potatoe Leek with a velvety texture, average Quiche, below average roasted potatoes, baked halibut and leg of lamb. The fish and lamb were good. Desert was mini raspberry tart. Pretty sparse display for $29.00. But the real shocker was the beverage bill! When our server seated us she asked what she could bring us to drink..."champagne or a Mimosa?". Asked in such a way that one might assume it was included in the brunch price. It was good...probably fresh squeezed oranged juice garnished with a shapely twist of orange and served in a champagne flute. Imagine our surprise when we got the bill and found we had been charged $18.00 each! That's outrageous! On top of which they add 17% gratuity. Usually the service is on point, but not so this time.

We have done an overnight visit, Christmas lunches and tea, Bistro night, etc. and have always enjoyed the meals and ambience. Yes, it's pricey but never did it disappoint so much as on Easter.

• Stayed April 2011, travelled as a couple
4 Thank LJPlateisfull
Hamburg, NY
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 March 2011

My husband took me to the Glendorn Lodge for two nights to celebrate Valentine's weekend. We arrived on Friday evening and was impresssed. When we announced our arrival, a staff member met us at our CAR! Talk about great service! We checked in and rather than just whisking us away with directions, the staff member drove her car and let us follow her to our cabin and walked us in! We stayed in Jill's cabin, and just loved it. It was so cozy, all lit up as we arrived, and we immediately felt at home! We settled in and then took the short walk through beautiful lit pathways to the Big House for dinner. Two words come to mind - relaxation and delicious. No one rushed us as we enjoyed a glass of wine in the Billards Room prior to dinner. The dinner itself was exquisite - we chose the three course dinner - service was impeccable and everyone was SO friendly - and what a beautiful environment to have dinner. We went back to our cabin and enjoyed a wonderful evening. The next day was spectacular - we had a day of fun-filled winter activities - snowshoeing, horseback riding and snowmobiling. I am not sure what I enjoyed the most - the horseback riding (with a wonderful guide) or the snowmobiling. A guide took just me and my huband out snowmobiling for a tour of the grounds - the land is amazing - huge space outskirted by the Allegheny Natioanal Forest. Our guide was so nice to us - even stopped at one of the other cabins to tell us some history about the Lodge. I can't say enough about the service. I had a massage in the cabin later that afternoon and the evening was wonderful - we even had chocolate fondue set up in our cabin by the staff. The next morning, it was the same relaxed environment - breakfast was probably the best I have ever had at a restaurant - and then the guides casually came around to see if there was any other activities we wanted to do before we departed. The only thing I wanted to do was book another night! I knew my 16 year old daughter would LOVE the place, so I actually booked an overnight for the following weekend, for just her and I! She loved it as much as me - especially the horseback riding and snowmobiling - again, the guides were so nice to us! We stayed in a room in the Big House and although it was much smaller than the gorgeous Jill's Cabin, it was quaint and very cozy. The time I spent with her was wonderful and something I will always cherish - she is still talking about how great the pancakes were! Before we left, we booked John's cabin, for our entire family, including my parents for a visit in July and simply can't wait to experience the summer activities offered at Glenrdorn! HIGHLY recommend for a romantic getaway, or with a family with older children!!!

• Stayed February 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank WNYTravelers
maine
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 January 2011

Absolutely the best! Bistro night at the Glendorn Lodge. Kudos to the Chef. The dishes were creative and delicious. The service was impecable. The affiliation with the Relais & Chateaux group speaks for everything that the Glendorn has to offer. The atsmophere was warm and cozy, making the chill of the cold evening melt away. It was a delightful dinner with a level of service and quality of food that the Glendorn should be proud of. Everyone should have an experience in this secret haven of fine dining.

• Stayed January 2011, travelled solo
1 Thank coopMaine
Atlanta, Georgia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 January 2011

Fair warning-this is long! If you'd just like the bottom line, skip to the last paragraph. It has become a family tradition to stay at a resort for New Years so we could bring the family together to start the year. We’ve spent the previous three years at Nemacolin, The Point and Lake Placid Resort. 3 of the other properties are R&C, and we’ve enjoyed other Relais resorts in the US and abroad. We’ve generally found the properties to be unique, with a reassuring level of consistently good service and food. I’ve tried to judge Glendorn fairly, with an eye towards what we would expect at a similarly priced property. Our group was split between the main lodge & a cottage. The different accommodations were by request, with the older members of the group being in the lodge so they didn’t have to walk through the snow to get to meals. This also gave us an opportunity to view the different accommodations available.

The good: it is a beautiful, rustic property. The main lodge is wonderfully warm and inviting, the cottages are cozy, yet spacious. The cottages, especially, are very true to the period in which they are built, which is charming. It does mean “rustic” more than “luxurious”, but they are quaint, charming and different. We enjoyed that aspect, even though the bathrooms are noticeably dated. The event/excursion staff are wonderful, and many of these outings are complimentary. The staff for the sleigh ride and snowmobile were wonderful! They were friendly, informative and generally seemed to enjoy their jobs and the activities. Some of our party paid for several rounds of sporting clay, and found it enjoyable and worth the expense. Of note regarding the food, the soups we had were very, very good.

The bad: I have paid too much for food and wine in too many places, and I’m ok with that. If you are going to charge an exorbitant amount for food, make it so consistently, outrageously good that there is no question I couldn’t find it elsewhere and I’m paying for a unique experience. Alternately, pour your drinks with a heavy hand. A great meal with an outsize check presented when you have a warm buzz is often laughed off. Unfortunately, Glendorn doesn’t use either of these strategies. Lunch is prix fixe “light fare” with several selections (sandwich, soup, cheese, salad-mix and match as you wish) or a 3 course meal. Both options are the same price. Unfortunately, the light fare is the same each day and they ran out of several things while we were there, which inexplicably were not restocked during our stay (potatoes!!). Lunch for 2 without drinks was $120+ (gratuity was always included, regardless of how many people were dining) and we had 2 drinks each with lunch (hey, we were on holiday!), so ours was $40 more. The wine is poured exactingly, stingily.
NYE dinner was five courses. It was imaginative, different and well presented. It came with the option of a wine pairing at a $55 supplement, which we selected. It was $450 for two. That may have included a pre-dinner cocktail for two, to be fair. It was quite good, but not worth the price, and left me thinking, I’ve had much better for much less. Even with 5 courses and 5 wine pairings, I was rather sober (dinner took almost 4 hours) and was poured no more than 3 ounces of each of the wines, sometimes less. I’ve had very long multicourse dinners, but I’m not used to waiting uncomfortably long periods between courses. They don’t seem to have “the flow” of great restaurant, and I'm glad it was the only evening we chose the 5 course option.
Dinner on our 3rd night was a 3 course meal with one of the worst ribeyes I’ve had, a poor cut that was over cooked with unmemorable sides. (Contrast that with the kobe filet the night before which was very good). I had 2 small glasses of a middling pinot noir (the excellent one that was served with NYE dinner was not available by the glass) and the check was $125 for one. (The boys had “opted out” of dinner). I did not complain about the steak, and I’m sure someone would have done something to “make it right”, but my dining companions were not impressed with their meals either and quite frankly I was just over it by that point. In fairness, the soup served as the 1st course was phenomenal, as usual. They certainly have cream soups down to an art form!

The ugly: The service is simply not up to par. A sampling of some of the experiences: We awoke in our cabin the 1st morning to find the coffee maker not working properly and the toaster not working at all. We called the office to let them know, someone else stopped by the office to mention it, and another family member informed the housekeeping staff when they came by. We were in and out all day and assumed it had been fixed, so we were disappointed when woke the next morning to find neither had been replaced or repaired. We made 2 requests during that next day, but they still weren’t replaced. The 3rd morning, the coffee maker completely stopped working (we’d given up on the toaster) and so someone finally brought a carafe to the cabin. A nice touch, but really?
I love the creative menus at R&Cs. I love learning about regional foods, different preparation methods, etc. I don’t “quiz” the staff, but if there’s something I’m unfamiliar with, I might ask. We learned that tilefish is “a medium sized fish caught off the coast of *New Mexico*, similar to sea bass in texture”. The wonderful, nutty hard cheese similar to a parmesan that we were served as part of our cheese plate at lunch was “smoked gouda”. The explanation of some of the special dishes for NYE dinner were just comical. I’m ok with “I don’t know”, “I’ll ask the chef”, etc. I’d almost give credit to a single server who took creative license to cover her lack of knowledge, but this bizarre behavior occurred in several of our servers. There is one dark haired male server who is wonderful, and my apologies are in order for not being able to commend him by name.
We did not eat breakfast at all during our visit. We aren’t big breakfast people, didn’t feel like walking to the main lodge, and preferred to sleep late. Perhaps breakfast was an extraordinary value we overlooked.

By the 3rd day, the “quaintness” of the bathrooms, poor lighting, randomly functioning appliances, uncomfortably worn furniture in the cottage central areas, no wi-fi, etc. was beginning to lose its charm with the mounting bill.
Though you shouldn’t judge an experience purely by the price tag, it gives you a point of reference for comparison. We stayed last year during the same time period at Lake Placid Lodge. We had an incredible time, a luxurious suite, phenomenal food and service and a great experience. At NYE dinner at the Lodge we splurged on 2 magnums of great wine for the table. We took part in similar activities. We stayed a day longer at Placid Lodge and ate at least 2 additional meals. Our final bill at Lake Placid and Glendorn was the same within $25. I’ve tried to be fair and write a review that will allow you to make your own decision. The Point is always a pleasure, but you do pay for it. I didn't think I could fairly compare Nemacolin, because we stayed 3 years ago and I don't remember as many details, but I feel sure it was significantly less expensive than Glendorn. The other R&C properties we've enjoyed have been in different seasons, areas, or countries, thus my reasoning for comparing most closely to Lake Placid Lodge. There were several things we enjoyed about Glendorn, but I don’t think we’ll return any time soon.

• Stayed December 2010, travelled with family
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
10 Thank WineGirlSE
Also consider these accommodations in or near Bradford
7.5 km away
39.3 km away
Inn at Holiday Valley
Inn at Holiday Valley
#2 of 5 in Ellicottville

Been to The Lodge at Glendorn? Share your experiences!