“Prime rib.”
Review of Deer Oak Lounge

Deer Oak Lounge
Ranked #1 of 1 Restaurants in Cambra
Reviewed January 29, 2018 via mobile

Always a nice time. Friendly staff and good food. Saturday is prime rib night so if your in the area be sure to stop by.

Reviewed December 3, 2017 via mobile

There was not one aspect of this visit that was ok. My husband has been seeing the advertisements for the prime rib on Saturdays so we thought we would give it a try. We got there and took at least five minutes to be acknowledged and another ten to be seated. As soon as we sat down, we heard all of the other customers complaining about various things. We should have left then. It took quite a while for them to take our drink order (I think they had one waitress where her only job was drinks and it still took forever). My husband got his drink almost right away, but I did not receive mine until after our food arrived (Again... there was a waitress that had ONE job... drinks). My husband ordered the prime rib medium rare, and I ordered wings. Thirty minutes in with no food, and still no drink for me.... the table behind us is complaining that they have not received their beers after waiting 20 minutes and the old man at the table beside us is spitting out his French fries because they are so bad. After we finally get our food, my husband’s prime rib has no hint of pink after he ordered it medium rare, but at this point he wasn’t going to send it back because we were starving. He said it was tough for a prime rib and had absolutely no flavor. My wings were.... bad. I think they were just way overdone. They had an almost stale quality to them. And the old man next to us was right about the French fries. On top of mine being cold... they just tasted terrible. We were getting ready to go before the girl apologetically brought my drink. The other waitress was wandering around with food the whole time trying to decide who ordered what and rarely got it right. Now, the waitresses were nice and polite, just really bad at their jobs. The bar side might be better, but do NOT go for the food. Just don’t do it. We went home and had sandwiches. We should have said something, but it was so bad that we felt sorry for them and by the end of the evening it was just comical to watch the rest of the customers getting frustrated too.

Reviewed October 8, 2017

We were told by locals that the Deer Oak was great on Saturdays for Prime Rib and on Tuesdays for ribs. We tried them on Saturday and while the ambiance wasn't great, the prime rib was. Service was friendly and attentive. The deal was a great piece of prime rib (for $2.00 more it could be all you could eat) two excellents sides and a salad. Well worth the price paid.

Reviewed May 14, 2017

We heard rave reviews about the prime rib on Saturdays and we've also been told that the Deer Oak Lounge doesn't take reservations. However this Mother's Day weekend we didn't want to take a chance so we did call to make reservation for 4pm on Saturday and they did write our name down...so I am unsure if reservations are a common thing or a busy Mother's Day weekend was an exception.

Parking - there is parking on the bar side and on the restaurant side. You can enter from either but there is more parking on the bar side. Easy access with no steps but it is gravel and uneven black top so drop off those that aren't sure footed over by the restaurant door and then park.

About the restaurant - small inside - probably 40 chairs with tables set for 4 or 6, 8 etc.
It was clean, on the rustic, dark side but very nice.
The bar is on the other side so we were separated from those there just to drink.

On to the staff - very nice, the waitress came to us frequently asking if there was anything else we needed or wanted - how was everything etc. Our particular waitress was phenomenal.

Pitcher of beer was good and cold and frosted glasses came with it. Don't think you'll get away cheap with water because they serve bottled water and there is a charge.
Salad - not heaping, more lettuce with just a bit of other veggies. I had the blue cheese dressing and it didn't have the chunks (which I love..)
Choice of cole slaw, beets, candied carrots
Choice of baked potato, twice baked (didn't get but looked amazing), french fries or mashed potatoes with gravy.
Baked potato - nice size and French fries were nicely browned and plentiful.
Generous mashed potatoes and gravy too....
All of the above just sat while we anxiously awaited steak.

Prime Rib - I had med rare and it was delicious. Another had rare and he said it was fantastic. Huge and served with Au Jus in a hot platter. It really was good and, of course, we ate almost none of the other stuff so we could have a second piece of prime rib. They did allow us containers to take remainder home.
Dinner for prime rib was $16.95
All you can eat prime rib is $18.95
One piece would have been sufficient.

Things to improve on - next time I'd take my own knife. They're serrated edged knives would not cut through the fat and/or spots of grizzle in the prime rib. The prime rib melted in the mouth so I know it was the dull knife that gave me grief.
I would have preferred some Worchester sauce on the table.
Overall I thought it needed salt during cook time. I added at the table but sometimes you seem to add salt and you can't taste it, this was one of those times.
Lastly - I know prime rib should have fat in it. I thought this was slightly excessive though. No one else seemed to mind but I spent most of my time trying to cut the piece to eat it and the aggravation with the dull knife dulled my overall experience.

Will I go again - YES. The menu looks amazing and I'd love to try their specials throughout the week and Iike I said above - the twice baked potato loaded with everything looked like a meal in itself. That's something I will have to try!

Reviewed April 15, 2017

The drinks were very weak, the steak was tough, we didn't get the sides with the entrees and the service was mediocre. Needless to say, I don't think we'll go back

Been to Deer Oak Lounge? Share your experiences!