All reviewsseasonal campersnice campgroundindoor poollaurel highlandsplace to staybingoamenities
Reviewed September 28, 2015

My husband and I stayed at Mountain Pines campground over Labor Day weekend. We normally do not like huge campgrounds like this where the sites are one on top of the other; however, we had no choice as our plans changed and we did not have reservations anywhere and could not find any at a campground more our style. We didn’t hate this place, just not what we look for. Because it was Labor Day it was packed, almost every site was booked. There are hundreds of sites in this campground in many sections. Many of the sites are seasonal residents, and some to not keep up their sites. Tons of people are driving around on golf carts making driving very difficult.

When we arrived, we were given a site that was very difficult to pull into due to the closeness of sites, the trees around, and cars parked everywhere. The Wi-Fi and Cable TV cost extra so we ordered both (they are provided through an outside company). I paid $10 for Wi-Fi for three days, it was so slow it was almost unusable. My husband ordered Cable TV for the weekend so he could watch the College Football games and it never worked. He called several times for the company to come service and they never showed up. There were good however, and refunded the amount to us when he called and requested the refund. I did not go swimming in the pool because some of our neighbors said there were things floating in the pool like paint chips that were peeling off the cement.

The night we arrived my husband went to the Clubhouse where they were offering a “fish” special. He ordered the meals for us, and when he went to pay, found out they did not take charge cards. He had to walk all the way back to our site to get cash from me, and then back to get the food. It was cold when he got back, and they thought nothing of giving it to us. I understand it was our fault for not having cash (did not know that was a requirement); however, good customer service would have been to take our site number with his ID, given him the food, and let us take the money back to them.

On the positive side the bathrooms were nice and the people were friendly. They have a nice dog park area which was great for our dogs as walking them to “potty” was almost futile as dogs were everywhere and they had no interest in going to the bathroom. They also had a lot of activities that weekend (Christmas celebration, bands, weekend garage sale, and movie night).

It is not a bad place, not a good place, just so-so. We were happy to just find a place to stay for the Labor Day weekend.

Stayed: September 2015, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Susan E
Reviewed July 19, 2015 via mobile

We reserved months in advance. When we arrived we were taken to a spot in the mud with water hookups so close to the ground we couldn't hook up. We were moved to a site so slanted we couldn't level. Lots of smokers, like a bar in the 70's. Pool looked nice but paint rubbed off on our bathing suits. There was an additional charge for TV and internet. There were so many golf carts that it felt dangerous to walk. Also lots of loud music late at night.

Stayed: July 2015, travelled with family
3  Thank Greg B
Reviewed May 25, 2015

This place is just one word, terrible. The bathrooms were disgusting, the people up there all they do is gossip about other travelers. And the security is useless up there. I suggest not going there to "relax"

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
4  Thank kayli r
Reviewed December 10, 2014

I really don't find anything special about this place. I've been here twice. The first time we went as a family vacation during a holiday. We reserved our spot well in advanced based off a previous experience. When we got to the campground, our site was taken by some random person. The company did nothing to resolve this issue and wanted us to take our Motorhome into a spot that was muddy and sinking in due to the weight of the motorhome. I went up after my family had already arrived, I was a part of the reservation yet I was charged a $10 fee to spend the night although my family had already paid for me being a part of the reservation.

The second time we went, we reserved another spot that we had found and liked as it had gravel and was easier to pull into. Well they said they would have it but once we got to the campground it was taken by a now permanent site.

I'm all up for having a good time around a fire pit with my friends but the noise levels during the last holiday were insane. People next to us were up until 3am at least partying and carrying on. There was no one from the campground making sure to enforce the quiet hours policy.

There isn't much going on for this place as far as amenities. You have to pay an arm and a leg for Wifi. The 'general' store has nothing but junk in it. They do hold movies on some nites and have both an indoor and an outdoor pool which is nice.

I don't like the place enough to go back, however my dad likes it due to the location. It's not far from Pittsburgh, PA and there are other things in the surrounding area to do.

Room Tip: Spots by the back, near the road are actually pretty quiet from road traffic and have a nicer selection of spots for motorhomes. Though a spot near the pool would be better for younger families.
  • Stayed: September 2014, travelled with family
5  Thank Tammy A
Reviewed October 23, 2014

I have been going here since I was a teenager. After traveling many places around the area, my parents decided to get a permanent site. I have seen many changes in this place. I like it up here so much that I have decided to buy the trailer from my mom. The people up here are extremely friendly. There are many activities for all ages: from bands, to dj's, to movies, to crafts and games for kids. They also have an indoor and outdoor pool, basketball courts, mini golf, access to the walking/biking trail, and a stream that they stock yearly. They have started upgrading electricity and seem to have a handle on the sewage problems they once experienced. They are trying to make the place more camper friendly. As long as we keep seeing improvements, this will be our summer home for years to come.

• Stayed: October 2014, travelled with family