US$100
US$99
HIExpress.com
US$80
Travelocity
Foggy Mountain Lodge(Stahlstown)(Great Value!)
US$75
  • Restaurant
US$129
Hampton.com
US$71
QualityInn
All reviewsthe main lodgeroller skatingbreakfast buffetfamily memoriesalpine slideski slopessummer activitiessnow tubingpizza shopwine festivallift ticketstower roomfourth floorsporting claysindoor poolzip lineslope side
Reviewed December 24, 2011

We have been coming to 7 Springs for almost 15 years for Christmas, minus one year we had a baby! This has been the first year that we have had problems. The prices have always been a little high, but comparable to other East Coast resorts of similar size. The staff this year seems to be angry and not satisfied. We needed to change our reservation (against policy, even though it is not written anywhere) and I had to go to the head manager to have it taken care of. We almost went ahead and canceled because it was such a problem dealing with her. Once we arrived we had no wireless, which was in the original reservation and was needed for my husband's job. When we called the front desk to ask about it they proceeded to "remind" us several times that we changed our reservation and should be thankful he have the condo we have, despite it being before Christmas and not busy! We called for the shuttle to come and pick us up and was treated as if we were inconvieancing them, before I could ask how long it would be before pick up I was hung up on. When I went into the concierge to get some information about the pool and surrounding area, for hiking and other things to do, the women wouldn't even get out of her chair to come and talk with us, and she had not suggestions! We needed new towels and a mop to clean the mud from the tile floors, I was transferred three times, and it was easier to go to the main lodge to get what we needed. My husband was given a hard time about using the pool, even though when we checked in we were told all we needed was to show our condo key to get into the pool. Perhaps the staff is upset there is no snow, but we felt there was plenty to do and it is a pretty place to spend Christmas. Being treated poorly and not finding smiles or any costumer service has caused us to reconsider spending our Christmas here in the future. If we are going to pay these prices, we will go somewhere else and hopefully get treated better.

Room Tip: Always call to make sure you have amenities you want in each condo rental
  • Stayed: December 2011, travelled with family
7  Thank KellyArehart
Reviewed December 23, 2011

My husband has been going here all his life. He introduced it to me and then we started bringing our children which are now teens. We enjoy staying here every ski season for about four days. Weekdays are less hectic if you can do it. The resort is huge, lots to do, but it all costs extra - except the pool. Skiing is great and tubing is fun! The breakfast buffet is awesome, but the rest of the food is okay, nothing fabulous. We usually bring our own food for lunch and snacks and eat dinner in Timbers or get a pizza. The rooms are fine. We prefer to stay in the tower, slopeslide, on a middle floor. It is very rustic. My only problem with the place is the prices. It is very expensive! Sometimes I do feel that for the expense the food could be better and the rooms nicer, but we always have such a good family vacation I chose to ignore it.

Room Tip: Slopeside is nice, but beware of the lower floors, they groom slopes at night and those snowcats can be loud while you sleep! We, however, prefer the views from the lower floors. Not for a light sleeper.
  • Stayed: January 2011, travelled with family
Reviewed December 23, 2011

Wow! I didn't realize it had gotten this bad! I'm one of those who has been going to Seven Springs for over 40 years, so perhaps I view it differntly than those who are visiting for the first time. I spent the day at the resort last weekend. Accompanied by family members who hold ski passes. I went to see my grandchildren ski. (I haven't skiied for almost 20 years now, so can't report on the slopes but all family members were thrilled just to be "out there" for the first time this season.)

What you have to understand is that Seven Springs is basically the only half-way decent, accesible place to ski between Vermont and Colorado. So it has the "location, location, location" thing going for it. And for what it is, the slopes and the trails are just fine. It is not Vermont, it is not Colorado, but it can be quite good. So don't worry about the skiing.

It is what has happened inside the resort buildings that is the problem. Seven Springs was a family-run resort until just a very few years ago. And this family, the Duprees, really, really cared about skiing and really, really cared about their guests. So even as the resort got bigger and bigger over the years, that same "family-oriented" management style continued. And it was AMAZING!

The food in the restaurants was OUTSTANDING - cooked by local folks who had worked at the resort for many, many years. Employees wore buttons that showed their name and how many years of service they had. Many said "25" and "30+". And there were multiple generations of families working at the resort. Including multiple generations of the Dupree family who worked at the resort - who worked at "lowly" jobs like loading you onto the chair lift. (You could usually recognize them by their red hair!)

But all of that is gone now. Most of the "old time" employees are gone. Generally, the service sucks and the food sucks bigtime! (In some ways the poor service is not the fault of those providing it. They obviously are new, inexperienced, over-worked and dealing with a lot of unfulfilled expectations from the guests. I actually feel somewhat sorry for them.)

The food being served is an abomination! Remember the wonderful hand-made cinnamon pretzels? They're fronzen pretzels now. Remember the hand-cut french fries where you could see the guy cutting the potatoes into fthose wonderful thick ries? They're frozen french fries now.

A large chocolate chip cookie is $2.96 cents. Okay, I'll pay the darn price! But - why not just charge the price to $3.00 for the cookie, instead of making everyone wait in a long, long line to receive four cents worth of change from the three dollars they are handing to the cashier? (What? Is this Walmart?)

Sometimes corporations can't see the forest for the trees. Sometimes corporations just come in to a place, knowing they can "ride things out for a few years" based on the reputation of a prior owner. And all they seem to know how to do is to raise prices and decrease maintainence and service. Is this what has happened at Seven Springs?

Seven Springs has been a family-oriented resort for most of its existence. It will succeed or fail base on that principle. Yes, okay, it is sometimes a party place and it has conventions, but year after year it has been the families, like my own, who purchase the season pass, who have sustained Seven Springs through good and bad snow-years. Do corporations not know this? Oh, and by the way, what has happened with the snow makers?
Because the slopes looked pretty sparse last weekend.

Can Seven Springs fail when it has "location, location, location" to its advantage? Based on the page upon page of poor reviews on Trip Advisor, I would say yes. How long will folks put up with bad food, poor service, less-than -sparkling-clean surroundings and watered down drinks? Not to mention the dirty hallways and inoperable amenities that other Trip Advisor reviews report?

There is a place inside me that hopes someone from the corporation that now owns Seven Springs will read this review and say "Ah, hah!". But I am not holding my breath. I am told the Seven Springs website has eliminated the "Complaints" section. Thanks to Trip Advisor, we can still inform each other.

Bella of Pittsburgh
A grandmother, a former skiier, a long-time Seven Springs family pass holder (since the 1960's), a Plateau de Mount part-time resident for many, many years

P.S. On the "Overall Rating" I first clicked onto "Poor", but then decided to be kind, because the place is still so beautiful as to the location and the slopes that I ended up giving it an "Average". Perhaps the solution is to stay somewhere else and just go to the resort to ski. (Which is what my family has always done. But we HAVE stayed at the resort from time to time over the years. Especially the "young ones" on New Year's Eve, which I understand is no longer the party it once was!)

Room Tip: There is a brand-new Holdiay Inn Express at the Donegal exit of the Pennsylvania Turnpike.
  • Stayed: December 2011, travelled with family
7  Thank BellaofPgh
Reviewed December 22, 2011

After reading some of the recently posted reviews I believe that some people are over-demanding and childish in their expectations. My stay on the tenth floor of the hotel was absolutely excellent as was the rest of the Seven Springs experience. I rented the cheapest possible room I could get on the backside of the hotel so my expectations were low. I was pleasantly surprised at how nice, quiet, and clean the room was. I asked the front desk if I could possibly check in early and they told me no problem even though I was six hours early from their posted check-in time. Everyone I encountered from housekeeping to front desk to restaurant servers to ski check attendants were very pleasant. I also don't know why people complain about SS being expensive. Some of the smaller ski areas I visit are far more demanding for much less in return. About the only complaint I had was that even with all the various places to eat in and around the lodge nobody offered room service. All in all, thank you Seven Springs for a nice getaway.

Room Tip: Higher floors may be reserved for those who would like quiet rooms and guests without kids.
  • Stayed: December 2011, travelled solo
3  Thank Mark F
Reviewed November 28, 2011

Attended a private party at Seven Springs Saturday evening and there were issues concerning what is a valid ID. You must have a valid driver's license, a temporary ID isn't acceptable even though you have your expired license along with your temporary ID IT ISN'T ACCEPTABLE AT SPRINGS. We were dealing with a very condescending security person who went to every measure to make sure our evening was a disaster. My advice is to publish this policy in all contracts and make it public to avoid this situation in the future.

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled with family