“Nice and Dirty”

Nichols Village Hotel & Spa
Ranked #5 of 6 Hotels in Clarks Summit
Reviewed 14 November 2011

The short:
-bloodstain on the wall of our room
-stains on the blanket of one of the beds
-stains on the sheet of the other bed
-hair in the shower
The long:
This hotel could be a nice, quaint hotel. It's kind of pretty, the room, minus the dirt, was nice and a good size, and the staff was nice. But frankly, I was grossed out.
The hotel is easy to find, check-in was easy. The room looked nice, but upon closer inspection, well, see above. I cleaned the bloodstain off myself and then went downstairs to tell the front desk about the stains on the bedding. They apologized, and were happy to accomodate getting new bedding. But, surprisingly, rather than just change all of the bedding, they told me they just changed the blanket and sheet with the stains. I guess that's economical, but to make a guest feel better, it would have been nice to change everything.
The pool was nice - slightly heated...though the room the pool was in was not, and when my toddler and I got out we were FREEZING!
Back in the room to shower after the pool...and there was the hair in the shower. YUCK! I just took a rag and scooped it up and threw it in a corner...and begged my kid not to touch anything!
We ate at the restaurant on-site, a pretty good Italian place, though a little pricey.
Breakfast is included...but it consists of mainly cold food...the hot food was mushy sausage and pancakes, though they did have a Belgian waffle maker. The breakfast room was a little small.
Again, staff was nice, and had the place been cleaner I would recommend it. I met another family in the pool area who told me that they had had to switch their room because the first room they went into was too dirty. I have to say, one of the dirtiest hotels I've ever stayed in. Clean up, Nicols, you have potential!

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled with family
gmnicholsvillage, General Manager at Nichols Village Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 21 November 2011

I am very sorry for your experience during your visit. We certainly did not live up to our norm with your room. I have shared your comments with our entire team and everyone is upset for your experience. We hope you will give us a second chance to show you that this experience is not the norm.

There are newer reviews for Nichols Village Hotel & Spa

Reviewed 4 November 2011

We stayed at Nichols Village on Oct 29 (nor'easter day) and had a great time. The front desk staff were friendly and helpful. Big shout out to Chris who took time out from shoveling to bring us some wine. The spa was awesome- highly recommend the hot stone massage. The restaurant was surprisingly good. Most hotel restaurants are questionable at best- the food here seemed fresh and creative. The rooms were clean and spacious. The pool and Jacuzzi were both well taken care of....The only issue we had was getting stuck on the same floor as a wedding party who decided to have a 30 person drunk fest in the hallway, right outside our door. Back in the day we would have definitely joined in but we were here to relax- a little get away from kids and pets. We called the front desk and they handled the problem quickly and efficiently. The only thing I would suggest is to maybe look at where you place your guests on the campus. Putting a couple on the same floor as an entire 25-30 wedding party is probably a mistake.....Thanks for a great time

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled as a couple
gmnicholsvillage, General Manager at Nichols Village Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 9 November 2011

Thank you for your comments. We are very proud of our Hotel, Restaurant and Spa. I agree that the stone massage is nice way to unwind and the Chef at the Restaurant prepares some great dishes that I am glad you enjoyed. I am sorry your were disturbed by the other guests but glad to hear our team was able to resolve the situation timely. We hope to see you again in the future and we will try to ensure you are not near a large group.

Reviewed 8 September 2011

This was our 4th time staying at Nichols Village and it was as enjoyable and relaxing as always. Lisa at the front desk was so sweet and helpful- she put us in a room with a jacuzzi tub which our little guys loved! The hotel is quiet and tastefully decorated in soothing tones. The rooms are clean and comfortable. Breakfast is a nice addition. The kids love the pool and the grounds are lovely. Its a great place to stop and relax in the middle of a long trip. The service is always top notch. Very friendly staff. Im sure we will return.

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled with family
2  Thank lovevacationOH
gmnicholsvillage, General Manager at Nichols Village Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 10 September 2011

Thank you for your kind remarks. I will share them with the entire staff. They all take great pride in the service they provide.

Reviewed 30 August 2011

My husband and I recently moved to the area. When we were looking for an apartment back in May, we used Priceline for a hotel, which put us in the Nichols Village. We were very happy with our stay. The hotel is cute and clean, and using Priceline, it ended up being a fantastic value. I'd definitely recommend this place to travelers in the area. (In fact, I just recommended it to my parents for their upcoming visit).

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled as a couple
gmnicholsvillage, General Manager at Nichols Village Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 31 August 2011

Welcome to Clarks Summit. We are happy you are in our community and thank you for recommending us to your parents.

Please don't be a stranger.

Reviewed 22 August 2011

Stayed here a few nights ago, at the strong recommendation of a friend, while attending a family function nearby. Over our two night stay, we were very surprised by the quality of service, staff and overall value. Check in was smooth, room was well appointed and was very comfortable. Bed was also comfortable, with crisp clean linens. The bathroom was sparkling clean, and it was obvious that the housekeeping staff take pride in a job well done. A request for an extra pillow was fulfilled in less than 5 minutes...hats off to the front desk staff for great customer service.

Breakfast was fresh, hot and well prepared. Again, the restaurant staff must be a group that takes pride in its work. Nothing to complain about...only friendly service and great food.

Take advantage of the Nichols Village Hotel. It really is a an outstanding value, when compared to the chain hotels nearby. Experience what customer service, and a relaxing hotel stay are supposed to be like. Its far superior to anything in the area! We will definately return.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled with family
4  Thank Sarzyn
gmnicholsvillage, General Manager at Nichols Village Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 23 August 2011

Thank you for your kind remarks. The entire team at Nichols Village is pround of our uniqueness, service and accomodations the ownership has provided us.

We hope to see you again in the future!

Reviewed 5 August 2011

I spent one night at St Nichols Village and was very pleased with my stay. Everyone was very friendly and the room was clean and comfortable. My son is a freshman at the University of Scranton, so I am sure to stay here again.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled solo
1  Thank mcpherson007

Thank you for Choosing Nichols Village Hotel & Spa. Congratulations to you and your Son for his attending the University of Scranton. It is a great school and I am sure he will like it.

We look forward to having you back over the next 4 years!

Thank you!

Reviewed 2 August 2011

We had a chance to stay for 2 occasions (a few days apart) and we were quite happy. The room in our 1st stay could use some improvement as the carpet was a bit damp. However, the size of the room and the breakfast were excellent. In our 2nd stay we got a great room with a nice view to the garden but we missed the breakfast hour. We were told in our 1st stay that breakfast hours are 7-11 so we went by what we're told for our 2nd stay but it turned out that it ended at 10am. Hope to have better information next time

Room Tip: Presidential room is great!
  • Stayed: August 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank DanH23
gmnicholsvillage, General Manager at Nichols Village Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 5 August 2011

Thank you for your comments. I am glad you enjoyed our Presidential Rooms so much. I am sorry you missed breakfast. For your infomation breakfast is served Monday through Friday 6am-10am. On Saturday and Sunday we serve from 7am-11am. This must have been missed during check in on a different day then your first visit with us.

Thank you for Choosing Nichols Village and we look forward to seeing you again in the future.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Clarks Summit
Days Inn Scranton PA
#8 of 10 in Scranton
9.0 km away
Hilton Scranton & Conference Center

Been to Nichols Village Hotel & Spa? Share your experiences!