All reviewscrystal lakehole golf coursefern halljohnson familyprivate bathrooma king size bedon site restaurantboat houserooms are spaciousretreatmansionphiladelphia
Reviewed October 17, 2017

The first thing you notice about this place is the absolutely gorgeous scenery! The trees are beautiful and the Inn itself is gorgeous, including a very old manual elevator that was very interesting to look at! My boyfriend and a friend stayed in a suite for a friend's wedding and found this was the best place for the money in the area, the only negative thing I experienced was that the bed was less than comfortable. We were greeted and shown to our rooms through the quiet hallways with amazing looking decor. The inn is very quiet and there are no TVs to be found so if you're from the city it takes some getting used to. The inn keeper was extremely personable and really takes interest in her guests! The breakfast was served in a small dining area downstairs and was home made! One guest was not satisfied with the breakfast option and the innkeeper offered to make her something else right on the spot! If you're looking for a place to party (or if you have children as I can see them being bored as there are no TVs and cell phone reception is almost non existent) this is not the place for you but if you're looking for a nice quiet stay with great scenery you will LOVE it. Its a photographer's dream (I'm considering going back JUST to take pictures!)

Room Tip: Open your window and enjoy the scenery!
  • Stayed: October 2017, travelled with friends
Reviewed July 24, 2017

Over the past 5 years, we have managed to stay at Fern Hall several times while visiting friends and family in NEPA. We fell in love with this place immediately. My husband loves to golf and I love the quietness and the beauty of the house and grounds. I love taking a walk around Crystal Lake and going to the boat house.

All theses lovely memories we had at Fern Hall no longer exist. This place has changed ownership and the new owners are absent. The gentleman that manages the bar and restaurant in obnoxious. He bashes the rest of the operation.

During our first night, our toilet overflowed. When I went to get Kate, all she did was mop up the water. The next day it did the same. My husband had to fix it. Later that day the toilet seat fell off and while taking a shower, the water shut off 3 times. Our room was not freshen up and the towels and robes looked dirty. The sheets seemed like they were not fresh and the blanket was scratchy.

I did complain and they gave us a night credit on our credit card bill. It is sad but you can be sure we will never go back

• Stayed: July 2017, travelled as a couple
2  Thank mvgreene112
Reviewed May 16, 2017

Found this property on Expedia for business travel near a client's location. Price was excellent as they are trying to attract for occupancy during the week. The B&B is the former country residence for the Johnson & Johnson family. Very homey and a superbly friendly and helpful staff. Restaurant on the premises is top notch and prices are very reasonable. Gold available on site for guests (free rounds for guests of the hotel). This is my third week coming up here and it gets better each week.

The team here is doing a great job and the rooms are clean and very comfortable. Feels like home. Definitely worth a try.

Room Tip: Quiet B&B in northeastern PA, near Elk Mountain Ski Resort - location great for a destination wedding or a golf/lake retreat.
  • Stayed: May 2017, travelled on business
2  Thank 518edwardp
Reviewed February 2, 2017

Restaurant is closed which was a surprise, trying to make up for poor heating by covering the windows in plastic, leaky plumbing, bad wiring, and no service. I "checked out" early on Sunday meaning when I left there was no staff (and never saw any staff over the weekend at all meaning no room make up or fresh linens) and have tried to contact them for a receipt multiple times. To date no answer, no receipt, which means no reimbursement for my business trip. Stay in the Best Western in Carbondale - you're going that way for dinner anyway.

Room Tip: No views in winter as plastic covers them so stay in whichever room has a private bath
  • Stayed: January 2017, travelled on business
4  Thank Certif658
Mary-fernhallinn, Innkeeper at Fern Hall Inn, responded to this reviewResponded March 31, 2017

Sorry that you left without seeing anyone, we are around, but not always where you expect to find us. I have no answer but to apologize for the lack of service that you feel you experienced while staying with us.

The Inn is very old, but a thing of beauty!
We try to keep things as original as possible and of course things break or are outdated. That doesn't make them bad.

Please come back next season and when you call make sure you remind us of the situation

Reviewed January 30, 2017

I am daunted by the number of positive reviews, and as such, felt compelled to advise potential travelers what to expect at Fern Hall. When we arrived at 7pm, the door was unlocked, and there was nobody there to greet us. There was a strong odor of natural gas throughout the first floor, and some music playing from a small sitting room down the hall, echoing through the hallway. Very "The Shining"-esque. The hallway looked like one from an institution rather than a cozy inn, very wide with terrazzo floors. There was a slip of paper with some instructions about the local area, and a "if you need help, call this number", without even a name of who we'd be calling. We called the number, and Mary told us that she was leaving her home and would be there in 20 mins. We found the sitting room, which had a heating unit turned movable gas fireplace in front of a very old sofa, which was the source of the gas smell, with a gas line running from it, in front of an old radiator. Every window was covered in plastic, so any possible view was impossible. And the romantic dinner we had hoped for that evening was not to be had, as the restaurant lost their liquor license, and is closed, a detail that was not communicated to us prior to our arrival. Mary eventually arrived, and informed us that though she had run our credit card for the booking, she never took down our contact information. So on the night we were to arrive, she simply left, rather than even waiting for us to greet us. We had to hang around waiting for her. She knew upon booking that we were planning to ski, but made no changes to their 8:30am breakfast time. Instead, she showed us to the back kitchen and instructed us to use their commercial grade industrial coffee maker to brew our own in the morning. Then she showed us a teeny mini fridge where we could grab our own (lousy) yogurts, and a buffet that offered those small boxes of cereals (fruit loops, cheerios,etc) and a basket of fruit that should have been thrown out a week prior. She then showed us to our room, past the ancient and non-functioning elevator. The room was beyond ancient, and the electrical wiring is literally dangerous. The remediation for a leaky pedestal sink was to wrap the base in a towel, so anytime you got close to the sink, your feet would get a splash from the sopping wet towel. There's a sign in the bathroom not to plug in any two accessories, and not to leave the room with anything plugged in. The lights on the walls were from perhaps the 1940's, with the pull switch. I have no idea how this place passed any inspection as it's electrical wiring is a death trap. After Mary took us to the room, and gave us the WiFi password, she told us that they needed two WiFi's: one, for guests and one for staff as they have disallowed most web traffic on the one for the staff. She further explained that she has tried, in vain, to curtail the "teenagers" who are the staff from wasting time browsing the internet, and has gone as far as to take their phones and put them "in a locked cage". Wow, I thought... this is a LOT of information after only 10 minutes. We go out to Ambers in the Grand Hotel in Carbondale, which was great and I would recommend. Good news: the bed was relatively new, and thus comfortable. The next day we get up early, make our own coffee in the institution styled eating area, and get on the road by 7:30am for Elk Mountain. We return around 5:30pm, and the room was not tidied at all. No towels, no bed-making, nothing. There was no contact whatsoever from Mary since the moment she gave us the keys and left. Don't expect any sense of security here. Think "The Shining" meets "One Flew Over ..." We went out to dinner, and upon return, found a bunch of kids, maybe early 20's, sitting in the blazing fluorescent light of the cafeteria/kitchen area drinking beer. We had no idea if they were staff, or guests, or just locals who know they can get in and drink in this joint. At this point we were so disgusted, and knew that the security in this place was non-existent. Long and short of this review is this: stay somewhere else... even a cheap motel would be better.

Room Tip: Don't stay here. Go to the Holiday Inn Express or Grand Hotel in Carbondale
  • Stayed: January 2017, travelled as a couple
4  Thank litetravellerNYC
Mary-fernhallinn, innkeeper at Fern Hall Inn, responded to this reviewResponded March 31, 2017

Sorry that your stay wasn't what you expected.
As you stated , it is a very old Inn. As a matter of fact we celebrated our 100 birthday this past July.
I am sorry that you didn't see me after your night of check in, but I am there everyday during ski season, Fern Hall is very large and if I was in the office you would never even have found me. I personally tidied the room.
The guests in the breakfast room were extremely delightful, up to ski from the DC area during the inauguration.
Give us another try, why don't you? Maybe you will be delighted as are most of our guests.