All reviewscrystal lakehole golf coursefern halljohnson familyprivate bathrooma king size bedon site restaurantboat houserooms are spaciousretreatmansionphiladelphia
Reviewed November 3, 2017 via mobile

We spent 5 Days in this lovely 1916 stone “cottage” built by the Johnson & Johnson Family. There are 7 rooms for rent and 4 have private bathrooms. The hospitality was so wonderful. The new Innkeeper, Vicky, and Mary, the restaurant manager, cooked different entrees each day for breakfast. Mary made the best French Toast on Tuesday and on Thursday, Vicky made fratittas. Mary was very knowledgeable about the area and gave us excellent recommendations for restaurants and sight seeing. There is a 9-hole golf course on the grounds for a challenging round of golf. Joe keeps the golf course and the entire Inn running smoothly.The Inn is an old house so don’t go expecting a 4-Star. They have done their best to keep everything as original as possible so the wallpaper is peeling but still very beautiful. A great getaway any time of year. There are plenty of places to prop up you feet and read a book or just enjoy the scenery. The rooms are neat and tidy. If you need something, just ask. When we checked in Amy, a part-time housekeeper, gave us a tour and shared some of the history. Currently, they are planning to open The Steakhouse at Fern Hall in mid-November. The restaurant and Inn have 2 events lined up - a Comedy Show and A Murder Mystery Dinner. Check them out when they open. The new chef is planning a large menu with a lot of variety. We are already looking forward to our next visit.

Stayed: October 2017
Reviewed October 23, 2017

The Fern Hall Inn is very comfortable and quiet. The Innkeeper, Mary, who is about to turn over the reins, was absolutely wonderful and made us feel very welcome and comfortable. Happily, it sounds like she may stay on in another capacity. The amenities that go along with staying here might disappoint a person looking for a truly luxurious stay. The beautiful house is in need of some system updates and cosmetic improvements, but the ambiance, very spacious bedroom, charming breakfast room and downstairs common lounge more than made up for it for us. I am not a golfer, but the adjoining course looked extremely well maintained and the staff we met were very friendly and helpful. I read a couple of reviews that said they couldn't find the Innkeeper when they arrived, I found her without difficulty in the small pro shop that faces the golfers' parking lot. (you can tell by the line of golf carts parked outside). When we were there, the in house restaurant was closed, but I believe that it will soon open again. We had a delicious meal just down the street at the Crystal Pines Restaurant which I would also highly recommend.

Room Tip: As far as I could tell, all rooms were quiet... but the restaurant wasn't open, and that might make some a little noisier.
  • Stayed: October 2017, travelled with family
Mary-fernhallinn, Manager at Fern Hall Inn, responded to this reviewResponded November 29, 2017

Carolyn,
Thank you for the kind words, you are correct that Fern Hall is comfortable and quiet. However, on your next visit it won't be so!.....Our restaurant has indeed re-opened!
When you come back you will hear the sounds of happy diners. Of course, it won't affect your stay other than make it more enjoyable!!

Reviewed October 17, 2017

The first thing you notice about this place is the absolutely gorgeous scenery! The trees are beautiful and the Inn itself is gorgeous, including a very old manual elevator that was very interesting to look at! My boyfriend and a friend stayed in a suite for a friend's wedding and found this was the best place for the money in the area, the only negative thing I experienced was that the bed was less than comfortable. We were greeted and shown to our rooms through the quiet hallways with amazing looking decor. The inn is very quiet and there are no TVs to be found so if you're from the city it takes some getting used to. The inn keeper was extremely personable and really takes interest in her guests! The breakfast was served in a small dining area downstairs and was home made! One guest was not satisfied with the breakfast option and the innkeeper offered to make her something else right on the spot! If you're looking for a place to party (or if you have children as I can see them being bored as there are no TVs and cell phone reception is almost non existent) this is not the place for you but if you're looking for a nice quiet stay with great scenery you will LOVE it. Its a photographer's dream (I'm considering going back JUST to take pictures!)

Room Tip: Open your window and enjoy the scenery!
  • Stayed: October 2017, travelled with friends
Reviewed July 24, 2017

Over the past 5 years, we have managed to stay at Fern Hall several times while visiting friends and family in NEPA. We fell in love with this place immediately. My husband loves to golf and I love the quietness and the beauty of the house and grounds. I love taking a walk around Crystal Lake and going to the boat house.

All theses lovely memories we had at Fern Hall no longer exist. This place has changed ownership and the new owners are absent. The gentleman that manages the bar and restaurant in obnoxious. He bashes the rest of the operation.

During our first night, our toilet overflowed. When I went to get Kate, all she did was mop up the water. The next day it did the same. My husband had to fix it. Later that day the toilet seat fell off and while taking a shower, the water shut off 3 times. Our room was not freshen up and the towels and robes looked dirty. The sheets seemed like they were not fresh and the blanket was scratchy.

I did complain and they gave us a night credit on our credit card bill. It is sad but you can be sure we will never go back

• Stayed: July 2017, travelled as a couple
2  Thank mvgreene112
Reviewed May 16, 2017

Found this property on Expedia for business travel near a client's location. Price was excellent as they are trying to attract for occupancy during the week. The B&B is the former country residence for the Johnson & Johnson family. Very homey and a superbly friendly and helpful staff. Restaurant on the premises is top notch and prices are very reasonable. Gold available on site for guests (free rounds for guests of the hotel). This is my third week coming up here and it gets better each week.

The team here is doing a great job and the rooms are clean and very comfortable. Feels like home. Definitely worth a try.

Room Tip: Quiet B&B in northeastern PA, near Elk Mountain Ski Resort - location great for a destination wedding or a golf/lake retreat.
  • Stayed: May 2017, travelled on business