“Nice Stay”

Hampton Inn Pittsburgh / Cranberry
Owen Sound, Canada
“Nice Stay”
Reviewed 23 August 2011

We stayed here 2 nights while we were visiting friends. The hotel was very nice, the king with a pullout is very small, not a double more like 3/4 sized bed and the room is quite tight. The breakfast was nice and had many options. The pool is small but enjoyed by my kids as was the hot tub. Close to restaurants and shopping. Highway close for drive into Pittsburgh and the museums. Staff was very helpful and accommodating. I felt the price was a little high but I guess it is to be expected with being so close to Pittsburgh. You did hear quite a bit of noise from the halls and other rooms showering and flushing the toilet.

Room Tip: non smoking rooms away from elevator
  • Stayed August 2011, travelled with family
HamptonInnCran, Manager at Hampton Inn Pittsburgh / Cranberry, responded to this review, 25 August 2011
Thank you for taking the time to comment on your most recent stay with us! Based on your comments I am pleased to see you had an enjoyable experience with our staff. If you have any additional opinions or suggestions that you feel would help us improve your experience please contact us. We are committed to providing superior hospitality as well as accomodations and your thoughts are greatly appreciated!

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (44)
Bethesda, Maryland
Reviewed 15 August 2011

I booked this hotel using HH points. The morning of my departure I received a phone call asking if I was interested in an upgrade. I originally booked a double double and on the phone they said they would upgrade us to king with a pullout sofa. The sofa seemed a bit small but that was not the problem. We checked into room 432 and when we opened the door, the room smelled like smoke. I called the front desk and they said that there were smoking rooms directly across the hall. I asked for another room and they said the hotel was sold out. At this point it was late and we went to sleep.

I woke up the next morning with a scratchy throat from the smoke. At breakfast, I went to the front desk and asked about the Hampton 100% guarantee since I really felt that the room was not up to standards. The front desk person said they would refund the points. It is now 10 days since we checked out and I have still not received a refund on my HH account. I called the middle of last week and they said the points were being processed.

Being a HH Diamond Member, I really expected a little more in the response from Hampton Inn.

Room Tip: Stay away from the nonsmoking rooms across from the smoking rooms
  • Stayed August 2011, travelled with family
HamptonInnCran, Manager at Hampton Inn Pittsburgh / Cranberry, responded to this review, 19 August 2011
Thank you for taking the time to complete our Guest Satisfaction Survey. It is with great regret that I learned of your unacceptable experience with us.

In the near future we will be updating our hotel to 100% non smoking. It is my hope that if you are in the Cranberry area again, you would consider staying with us to see the changes we will be implementing.
Reviewed 24 July 2011

I've been staying with this chain of hotels for over 4 years and I haven't been disappointed yet. Great stay, clean and comfy room, and located near several popular businesses. I'm staying now for my 2nd week and wouldn't want to be anywhere else. I havent been to the front desk much and it was nice to arrive today and the front desk associate remembered me from the prior week. :)

• Stayed July 2011
HamptonInnCran, Director of Sales at Hampton Inn Pittsburgh / Cranberry, responded to this review, 12 August 2011
Thank you for your positive comments about our hotel. Our staff strives to meet and exceed our guest needs. We are commited to providing superior hospitality as well as accommodations. Your kind words and thoughts are greatly appreciated.
Maple Grove, Minnesota
Reviewed 20 July 2011

We come to the area once a year and this was our first time trying out this Hampton Inn and we were not disappointed. The hotel has been nicely updated, First of my list of "must haves" is clean, clean ,clean and this place passed my test! The beds were comfy with quality linen,the bathroom was stocked with extra towel which was a nice touch, the A/C worked great ( it was HOT and humid weather) , breakfast was plentiful and items stocked promptly. We had great night sleep!

Stayed July 2011, travelled with family
HamptonInnCran, Director of Sales at Hampton Inn Pittsburgh / Cranberry, responded to this review, 7 October 2011
Thank you for taking the time to complete our Guest Satisfaction Survey.! It is with great pleasure that I learned of your positive feedback regardng our cleanliness as well as our complimentary hot breakfast. We are committed to providing superior hospitality at our Cranberry Township Hampton Inn. We look forward to making your next stay enjoyable as well.
San Diego
Reviewed 22 June 2011

After a completely frustrating experience with the laundry facilities at a Hilton property in DC, we arrived in Cranberry ready to get our clothes clean at the coin laundry advertised on this property's website. Turns out that they don't have one...The person at the front desk provided us with directions to the local coin laundry down the street, but the experience would have been much more pleasant to do within the hotel. We would have chosen another place to stay if we had realized there was no laundry facility. We also discovered how thin the walls are when we had the neighbors from you-know-where one night. My husband finally went downstairs to talk to the front desk about them, and then all was quiet. This is also probably a result of older construction, but you may want to come prepared if you have trouble sleeping. Breakfast area was busy, yet was always clean and well-stocked. Free wi-fi, which is always nice these days! I have a habit of pulling the comforter up in the mornings to smooth out the bed, and we found that if I did this, the beds were not made underneath...

• Stayed June 2011, travelled with family
HamptonInnCran, Guest Relations Manager at Hampton Inn Pittsburgh / Cranberry, responded to this review, 23 June 2011
Thank you for taking the time to write a review for the Hampton Inn Pittsburgh-Cranberry! I am pleased you had a pleasant stay for the most part. I am not sure what website you are referring to regarding the advertisement for coin laundry, thank you for bringing this error to our attention.
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 22 March 2011

Arrived at this location based on tripadvisor reviews and maybe my expectations were just a little too high. I stopped at the desk and spoke with a friendly front desk attendant who provided my room key, details about the hotel and information concerning local eateries. The check-in was quick and efficient and 2 people were working the desk which adds to the speed of check-in.

I arrived at my King, nonsmoking room and found it tastefully decorated with nice furniture and muted color and texture on the walls. I was a little disappointed in the size; the room and bathroom were a bit small. I then inspected the king bed and found the sheets white, clean and crisp and the comforter smelled freshly laundered. I then inspected the bathroom and found it clean, well organized and stocked with plenty of clean white towels and amenities. The room also had a large flat screen TV with HD capabilities and 61 available channels, with 28 in HD.

The desk/ work area was adequate and well illuminated with recessed lights directly above. The internet was adequate and met my business needs. The breakfast is standard for this chain of hotels, good but nothing special. This hotel did have a friendly, smiling breakfast attendant.

The HVAC quickly cooled the room and was relatively quiet. It did not hinder my sleep. Be advised if you are on the back side of this hotel a major highway is within 50 yards. Due to the road noise I was forced to run the fan on the HVAC unit all night. There are many eateries within a short driving distance and a Primanti Brothers which is within walking distance.

What I found disappointing about this hotel was the lack of a refrigerator and microwave in the room. Based on the price I believe the hotel needs to add these amenities.

As far as value, based on the proximity to the highway and lack of a refrigerator or microwave I feel the price paid was just too high. Monday night in March 2011, $144.00 (room) + $12.96 (taxes) = $156.96. This is a bit high for the area.

Overall this is a nice, clean hotel but I can't rate it any higher than average based on the lack or amenities and price.

Would I return....Maybe, I would check other properties in the area before coming back. Would I recommend, Yes, if price and lack of a frig and micro are not a concern.

• Stayed March 2011, travelled on business
HamptonInnCran, Guest Relations Manager at Hampton Inn Pittsburgh / Cranberry, responded to this review, 4 April 2011
Thank you very much for your review of the Hampton Inn Cranberry. I apologize that you were not made aware that we do have microwaves and refridgerators available upon request.. Also, we are hoping to have installed microwaves and refridgerators into all rooms by the end of 2011. We hope to see you the next time you are in Cranberry Township!
Yorkshire, UK
Reviewed 1 February 2011

This review is from the perspective of a British traveller; I stayed in the Hampton Inn for five nights recently on business.

The Good:
My bedroom was specious, with an enormous and comfortable bed. There are dozens of television channels available, if that's what you want; a desk on castors with a decent chair to work from. The wi-fi connectin is fast and complementary. The bathroom was pleasant, with a decent pressure shower and plenty of towels. Rooms have an individual coffee machine with ordinary and decaffeinated coffee (but no tea). The water is quite soft and fine to drink. A copy of USA Today is delivered each morning. There's a small swimming pool (25 feet) which is fine for leisure use but not long enough for exercising, and a jacuzzi.
The best asset of the hotel is, in my opinion, the staff, who are outgoing and friendly, have local knowledge and seem to be genuinely happy to help.

The "less Good"
As mentioned in earlier reviews, my colleagues sleeping in odd - numbered rooms to the rear of the hotel commented that they were disturbed in the night by heavy vehicles engine braking on the interstate. Having been in a room at the front of the hotel, I can't comment on how loud this is, but thought it worth relaying. The weather was cold and snowy while we stayed, so I imagine that they were disturbed despite having the windows closed.
Although my room was cleaned each day, the small strips of carpet between the bed and the bedside tables was never hoovered and had a lot of small bits of rubbish. Also, although there was a card advising where to put towels if they were to be changed or left for the following day, they were all changed each day, along with the toiletries even though they had only been used once and were part full.
The coffee machine in the room makes nice filter coffee, but instead of single servings of milk, there was powdered "dairy substitute" creamer. This may be a cultural issue, since everywhere I went, I seemed to get powdered creamer; for me, it's nothing like as good as real milk or even something like millak maid.
Breakfast was plentiful, but my issue here is that there was no real crockery or cutlery - it is all plastic and disposable (though the plates and forks are biodegradeable). I'm an adult and I really prefer to eat using china crockery and metal cutlery! Even great food would taste poor off a paper plate. I understand that the hotel has no cooking or dishwashing facilities, but even so, it would be nice to feel like I'm not picnicking. Additionally, and on a similar theme to the toiletries and towels, it doesn't seem to be very environmentally conscientious to dispose of so much mixed waste when washing and reusing is an alternative.
Either way, plastic plates and cutlery make it feel cheap.
The gym has a few weights machines, which I did not try, a recumbent bike, a nordic track, a stair climber and two treadmills. One treadmill and the stair climber are out of service. The gym seems to be a bit neglected when 40% of the cardio equipment is inoperative. I couldn't get the shower in the men's changing room to produce any hot water. On the plus side, it's open from 05.00, which is great for us early starters, but it's small and seems to be poorly maintained, so, a bit of an afterthought.
There are no pavements in the area around the hotel, so going out for a run is not possible, and it's probably not a good idea to walk along the side of the road either, so a vehicle is essential.
My final observation is that the carpet in the communal areas has definitely seen better days and need to be replaced sometime soon.

All in all, this is an excellent hotel for one, maybe two nights, but staying for five really exposed some of the limitations of the place to me. I would stay again, as it's good value, the guest rooms are good, and the staff excellent, but it's not somewhere I would want to be for any length of time.

• Stayed January 2011, travelled on business
HamptonInnCran, Front Office Manager at Hampton Inn Pittsburgh / Cranberry, responded to this review, 2 February 2011
Thank you very much for staying at the Hampton Inn in Cranberry Township.