All reviews general store nice campground delaware river port o potties campers canoe potty rv milford
Reviewed October 15, 2014

We loved our stay at Dingmans. It's my favorite place I've ever camped. We stayed one night on the river's edge. There's a short path down to the river and from there it's a beautiful view of the Delaware Water Gap. It was early October when we stayed, so there were almost no bugs, and the weather was beautiful. We were next to a loud group, but they went to bed around the same time as us, and I certainly didn't mind. We had a two year old staying with us, and they weren't loud enough to wake her, so that's all that mattered. I can't say anything about the port-o-potties because I never used one, but I heard from our friends that they were fine. We had 6 people and one two year old and three dogs total, so we got two campsites next to each other and it was great to have that much space. Because of the time of year, there were hardly any reservations on the river, and we had first pick of where we wanted to stay. I think we chose sites 118, 119. Other reviewers have mentioned that they wished there was more of a ranger presence, but I was happy to be left alone. I don't like feeling as though we're being babysat when I'm camping. The staff was a lovely bunch, and they're very relaxed and accommodating. I would absolutely recommend this campsite to anyone looking for a fun and relaxing time on a beautiful river, close to lots of gorgeous trails and waterfalls. Kid friendly, dog friendly, and comfortable.

Date of stay: October 2014
  • Trip type: Travelled with friends
2  Thank nicole e
Reviewed August 13, 2014

Just the drive itself is beautiful, but the campground is so much better. Just make sure you are ready to take some pictures! The bear come by to visit quite often. They have a small camp store that has most necessities. As most campers have said....no alcohol aloud! There are a couple small town bars in Dingmans Ferry that are very welcome to serve you a cold one!

Date of stay: August 2014
  • Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Reviewed August 4, 2014

It does the job but we won't be going back though. Margie up at the office was wonderful (best part to be honest)! However, our neighbors were very very loud the Friday night (I am talking 2am and still going, all 6+ of them), and not a single ranger in sight. Then Saturday, between 10 and midnight another party going on 2 sites away. The nearer site was quieter, tired from Friday night. Someone must have complained about the people at the end of the river (we were the last site, the noisy ones were the walkins at the end) so at midnight, when we had all been in bed for over half an hour, a ranger "demanded" we come out. She said she heard the clinking of the cans (we had no cans). She demanded we show her the cans. When I said to please give us a moment, we had a dog we wanted to make sure we contained her and I had no pants on, she became hostile, stating she didn't care and to get out here. My boyfriend went out, a 44 yr old, graying computer professional, who is famous for handling difficult women (me and his mother). She searched all of our belongings before he was out of the tent. When asked in we had alcohol, he admitted he brought in 3 beers, not realizing he was not allow, it was his second time camping ever and in DE and NY, where we are from, it is allowed (I had already yell at him - the man refused to read complete emails). He was so confused, the box said "camping collection", but I digress. She did an FBI/homeland security check on him, then told him he was "red flagged" but welcomed back. She also wanted to know why we had 2 tents, "do you need that much room?" (again hostile) but he calmly explained there were 2 couples. She became more relaxed and pleasant at the end. Stating because he admitted we had it, she would let us off with a warning, not the $75 fine. When my boyfriend returned I asked what was going on. He said there were 3 additional rangers at the camp next to us tossing their stuff too. Now after watching them for a full day, I would bet anything they didn't have any alcohol on them. Just loud rowdy late teens/early 20s. Finally they moved on to the massive back sites which had sounded as if they were putting on a wedding. I am all for enforcing rules, really I am, but the way we were treated was as if we had been partying it up for hours. Additional issues, they need way more than 4 porto-potties if they are gonna allow parties as big as we saw there, most had 5+ people per site. Signage was terrible. People allowing their dogs off leash. Finally, and this is what really got me - their trail maps. I asked if they had trail maps and was given the waterfall listing (by a very grumpy store clerk). Most unhelpful guide ever. Do your research beforehand on the state website. Much better and actually accurate. Dingman's blaze colors were inaccurate, bad descriptions, and no actual map. I can't believe I am going to say this, but Promised Land further north was much better. I have camped all up and down the northeast, Michigan, and Minnesota, so far this was the worst campground I am sorry to say.

Room tip: I wouldn't waste the money for a river site again. The portopotties are scary, the massive groups are very loud, and you can barely see the river. Of all the sites we explored site 111 was the nicest I think my friends said. But if it was me, I would skip the place altogether.
Date of stay: August 2014
  • Trip type: Travelled with friends
3  Thank Fieemully
Reviewed July 26, 2014

My husband and I spent 3 nights (Sun-Wed) here mid July. We stayed at site 128 which is a river site. I was kind of disappointed that we really couldn't see the river or get to it easily since we were at the top of a steep embankment. I thought we would be able to directly see the river from our tent or even from the picnic table. We didn't see any rangers that others complained about, the place was pretty empty, only about 4 tents down by the river and only 3 or 4 others in the other part of the campground. It would be nice if they could build a bath house by the river sites as we had to drive to get to the showers. There are porta-potties by the river sites. We were thankful it wasn't busy as the bath house only has 2 showers and 2 toilets which would be frustrating when it is busy! The campsites are quite large but each one is fairly private. We enjoyed our 3 nights at Dingman's although next time I wouldn't pay the extra for a river site.

Date of stay: July 2014
  • Trip type: Travelled as a couple
2  Thank Sandra M
Reviewed July 7, 2014

A very nice rustic place to camp! Staff was wonderful and having a store on the premise is a definite plus. I also was able to bring my dog! The walk to the river was a short one and enjoyed watching the children play on the field. I also loved the ranger program!

Date of stay: July 2014