“Awesome venue and servers ~ food could improve”

Orangery At Glen Isle
Ranked #14 of 76 Restaurants in Downingtown
Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed February 20, 2017

Four ladies had a special 60th birthday celebration and although we read some extraordinary reviews and a few not so great ones, decided to try!

Loved the building, the room was awesome, wait staff very pleasant, a single fresh red rose on each table, BYOB, and the dishes fun, nothing matched yet old lovely ones. 1st course was a seafood dish presented in a shell, very good and correct temp. Net a farro salad, was very tasty and we enjoyed, the creamy mushroom soup was excellent buy only lukewarm, had a complementary app from chef, was goo & nice to receive. The was salty & over cooked, we mentioned and waiter said oh chef adds to much salt?!?! The dessert was tiramisu, no rum flavor detected, great whipped cream and a coffee with ice cream finished the food presentation. Was a value for $50, one setting so all guests served at once.

Reviewed February 20, 2017

The atmosphere was wonderful. I have never had such horrible food, cold soup, salty food and chicken that was so over cooked. I watched a man try to remove a toothpick holding his chicken and I had a chuckle thinking of Julia Roberts and the escargot. So disappointing because this was also a Birthday celebration. We would never return and I feel the chef owes everyone from that setting a do over! One course was edible only, very poor food.

Reviewed February 17, 2017

This is a BYOB which I typically love to go to over a regular restaurant with bar, but I had to ask for chiller to keep our wine cold and they didn't pour our wine. They didn't charge us a "cork fee" so i guess i shouldn't complain. The first course was nothing extraordinary (scallops on shell), but I I did like the salad. The Mushroom soup had clumps of roux, and the main course was very salty and the chicken was dry! I wasn't impressed by the dessert either and when I asked for a cup of coffee I was told I would be getting a coffee with ice cream. It didn't get it till after I was finished with the dessert. I really wanted a hot cup of coffee. They also didn't serve rolls. The atmosphere could have been so much better. It reminded me of a Holiday Inn dining room. Some of the candles in the window were not lit (at least not on my side of the room) and I am all about the ambiance. I did like the china and silverware that didn't match and the serving pieces that also didn't match...love that. We have been to many restaurants that serve "chef's choice - course meal" and usually have a fantastic meal. I am sorry I can't say this is one of them. The servers also did not tell us what was being served. If it hadn't been for the paper on the table we would not have known. The dessert was not described on the "menu" and I am not sure what it was. I am thinking Vanilla Wafers with Vanilla Ice Cream on top. Usually the servers give you an explanation on what you are about to eat. The servers were very nice, but with the exception of a few just brought your food to the table.

Reviewed February 17, 2017

My wife and I had Valentine's Day dinner here and everything was superb. We don't get to this restaurant often as meals are a standard $50 in cash per person and BYOB but we do make there at least once a year for special occasions. The only annoyance about this place is you can't make reservations online, you have to call and everything is straight cash. The food and service was amazing. Highlight was definitely the Prosciutto Crostoni with Sage Infused Butter. I wish I could have that everyday. Everything was good - the shrimp cocktail, the porkloin wrapped bacon and the butterfly pasta was delicious. This would be a place I would come back to regularly if the price was around $35 a person but the $50 price is warranted on the food alone. I will keep coming back at least once a year. Definitely a must if your looking for a romantic night out!

Reviewed October 9, 2016

You really need to go here!
Arriving at the Orangery gives you the feeling of suddenly being in another place at a time long past. The buildings are circa 1700's and the landscaping is just perfect. Very quiet and serene.

You have no say to the menu. What they serve is what you get and it changes often. Check the website to see what they're serving.

First off - the decor of the restaurant is very tastefully done. It just feels so relaxing. Classical music was piped in. The staff made you feel at home.

This is a BYOB so bring a nice bottle of wine.

Now to the menu - they served us 5 courses.
Eggplant crostini
Fried Cauliflower croquettes with a tomato basil sauce
Gnocchi with a mushroom sauce
Turkey breast tenders wrapped in bacon with a wine/honey mustard sauce,
served with oven roasted baby potatoes with Italian spices
Creme Brûlée

All the food was delicious. If I had to pick a favorite I would say the gnocchi was really good, due to the mushroom sauce.
Everything was flavored perfectly, nothing overpowering.

Meals are served at 6:30 and the restaurant closes at 9:00. The time just flew by.

The only negative comment I have is that there isn't much legroom under the tables. The metal legs are rather obtrusive.

I found the price to be very reasonable for the quality of the evening. $50 per person. They do have a cash only policy ( I believe they will take a check too but ask when reserving just to make sure)

The chef and staff get high praises from us!