Villas at Tree Tops and Fairway
Quality Inn - East Stroudsburg POCONOS(East Stroudsburg)(Great Value!)
US$80
QualityInn
Super 8 Stroudsburg(East Stroudsburg)
US$55
US$170
TripAdvisor
Days Inn East Stroudsburg(East Stroudsburg)
US$59
Econo Lodge(Stroudsburg)
US$64
US$62
TripAdvisor
Hampton Inn Stroudsburg / Poconos(Stroudsburg)(Great Value!)
US$100
Hampton.com
Pocono Inn At Water Gap(Delaware Water Gap)
US$68
  • Breakfast included
Value Inn(East Stroudsburg)
  • Breakfast included
All reviewsindoor and outdoor poolsnegative reviewspaintballpennsylvaniaplayground
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 28 May 2012

This hotel is well past it's prime and poorly maintained. I read the other reviews prior to visiting, they were very accurate. The front desk staff was not helpful. On check in, your credit card is immediately charged. I had already made a deposit and the front desk associate criticized a trainee over .03 cents. There were feral cats on the property. The halls were moldy smelling, stained carpeting, dark(dark carpeting and dark door paint) and narrow. Our room was huge, the carpet was stained, we had our very own plunger, the surface mounted sink was not caulked and had dirt around it, the wallpaper was peeling, etc. The outdoor pool was closed. The hot tub did not work, there was no showerhead. The final part of the this crap of a hotel, we are in the POCONOS and there was no view from our room, we had a 2 1/2 story utility building next door.

1  Thank soccerzlife
Management response:Responded 22 June 2012

First, I would like to apologize that your stay here was an unhappy one. We do however, thank you for your posted review of your most recent stay with us at Fernwood Hotel and Convention Center. In the past few months the hotel came under new ownership. We have been working nonstop to get upgrades and renovations done. We have recently completed renovating the lobby of the hotel, 3 new restaurants, upgraded the outdoor pool, fitness center and the entire façade of the entire building is currently receiving a great facelift. As you can imagine and have seen we have an extensive list and the hotel rooms are next on the list. We hope you will come back and stay with us again in the near future to see more of the great upgrades that will continue to occur at the Hotel.

Reviewed 27 May 2012

Spent a weekend there since our soccer team booked it for us, (Thanks team!). I went with the flow and didn't even check Tripadvisor. Big mistake. I don't like to jump on the bandwagon but this place is as bad of a place as I have ever been to. How about vomit in the hallway that was called to the attention of the frontdesk and was still there in the morning? Muddy water coming out of the faucets and tubs after an unusually heavy rain. They blamed the well water but is that the tenants fault? Uncaring front desk people. Nonexistent maintenance people. Decor that needed updating 15 years ago. Doors propped open. Beds that were hard and uncomfortable. Many of the team immediately asked to leave and left to go to another hotel. Positives. It was quiet and I personally didn't see any bugs. I'm not sure who would stay here, the desperate or uninformed. I thought the team was looking out for us, but next time I will be more wise. Their intentions were to find a place on short notice that could accomodate out team. Small wonder why this place was still available.

3  Thank mjpgh
Management response:Responded 22 June 2012

First, I would like to apologize that your stay here at Fernwood Hotel was not up to par. During the weekend of the soccer tournament, we did have a very unusual amount of rain that had flooded the entire Hotel’s water supply. This is an issue that we have taken very seriously and is currently being addressed, to ensure that this will not happen in the future. I would also like to share some information with you, Fernwood Hotel and Convention Center has come under new ownership. In the past few months, we have been renovating and upgrading all across the resort. We have recently completed renovating the lobby of the hotel, 3 new restaurants, upgraded the outdoor pool, fitness center and the entire façade of the entire building is currently receiving a great facelift. We have a long list of improvements and upgrades as you can imagine and the hotel rooms are the very next item on that list. Again, on behalf of our staff, I apologize and we hope that you will give us another try in the future especially to see more of the upgrades through to their final products.
-Steve Bartlett Chief Operating Officer

Reviewed 24 May 2012

What our Interval International exchange book said about this place and what the pictures showed of this place, in our opinion was deceiving. The grounds were unkept, bare spots in and around each villa. Granted this stay was early for the north areas, but with the mild temps in that region and spring like weather, you would have thought they would have things looking better and working better for their guests. Our stay was May 13-20th. We also found the 3 or 4 outdoor pools were not cleaned and usable. The indoor pools were ready and we were glad about that. The front desk at check in, lacked making us feel welcomed and they offerd no information as to what to expect and things to do at the resort. The first 2 bedroom villa we were given was in not in a very good location as young adults were hanging out on the front porches in the villas next door and near by. Not impressive at all. My husband went back to the front desk to see if we could be moved and we were about to get another unit on the other side of the resort area near the golf course. The restaruant on sight "Big Daddy's BBQ" was good. My husband did enjoy mountain biking at the nearby trail along the Delaware River next to our resort. The horseback riding that was part of the resort "things to do", was a heafty $30.00 pp. We did enjoy a nice 45 minute ride was a nice view from horseback on top of one of the hills. The bedroom were small, and the furniture was outdated as were the mattresses. It was a 3 floor villa with the bathrooms and bedroom and the laundry area in the basement. The living room and dining room and kitchen was up on the first floor and the loft with 2 single beds was on the top level. After doing this week at this resort, i'll know not to ever do one of these type units again. The quest bedroom did not have a TV at all. The 2 TV's in the unit, one in the living room and one is the master bedroom, were old units. All in all, the question is, would we go back to this Fernwood Resort called Tree Tops Fairway Villas...and the answer is no. A lot of renovation needed at this Resort.

Room Tip: There are lots of other places to stay and We would definately recomend that. I do have a few photos,,,but didn't really find much I wanted a picture of. We did find the Bushkill Falls which is real close to this resort a lot of fun and beautiful. We also took the time to drive around and see some other places of interest in the area.
4  Thank Georgia H
Lherman2012, Customer Service at Villas at Tree Tops and Fairway, responded to this reviewResponded 5 June 2012

First and foremost, please allow me to apologize for the frustrations encountered during your stay with us. I was disappointed to hear of the concerns that you had mention of.

Although, our region did have a mild winter, the spring was very wet. I can assure you now that the weather has improved, our Landscaping Team is busily getting ready for the summer season. Our outdoor pools open every year on Memorial Day weekend. I do apologize that you were not able to enjoy one of the outdoor pools, however we do offer indoor pools through out the Resort.

I have contacted our Quality Assurance Team to do a thorough inspection of the villa that you stayed in. I can assure you their reports are extremely detailed and any issues found, including those you have made note of will be addressed by our Preventative Maintenance Team.
I have also passed along comments regarding the Front Desk to our Director of Guest Services so that they can be addressed to ensure this does not happen again.

I was pleased to hear that you were able to enjoy the horseback riding, I do agree the view from the mountaintop is spectacular. As well as the bike trails are great for the views and wild life, not to mention a great work out.

I would like to take this moment to reassure you that the current direction of the property is a positive one. The owners have made significant improvements property wide over 2011. This plan of action will continue in 2012 as we determine what areas of the resort will have the most impact on our guests.

Reviewed 23 May 2012

Although the picture shows a garden style dwelling, the villa we had was equipped with enough stairs to make a mountain goat happy. It was impossible to get to the front door without a hike (8 to 10 stairs) and then there was a landing-five steps up to the living room /kitchen, eight or so down to the master bedroom. The 1/2 bath was also on this landing. It was another 15 steps up from the kitchen/living room to the second bedroom. I have bad knees so the fun did not begin at the door.
The voicemail system did not work and I was informed that it would not work for the length of our visit - "a software problem" even though we had some expected guests who just might leave a message on the nonworking system.
The upstairs bedroom and bath had ants and the open mousetrap under the kitchen sink was not a delight to discover.
The sofa cushions were torn and the whole place, while neither too clean nor too dirty speaks of neglect and things done on the cheap. The bed was hard and obviously inexpensive.
Although the staff was very nice, I know we will never return.

Room Tip: I'm not sure there are any.
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple
4  Thank mamalolly

I sincerely apologize that you had a less than desirable stay with us. I can assure you that this is not our usual standard. The items you listed should indeed have been noted and corrected prior to the Villa being released for check–in. Our inspection process is usually quite thorough and I would apologize for any shortfalls in our more typical standards of presentation on this occasion.

I have asked our Quality Assurance Team as well as our Maintenance Department to do an inspection on your villa to determine if the furniture needs replacing. I can assure you that the current direction of the property is a positive one. The owners continue to make improvements property wide and this plan of action will continue in 2012 as we determine what areas of the resort will benefit from upgrades and enhancements.

The Fernwood Resort and The Villas at Tree tops and Fairway offer many different unit accommodations with little to no steps. I only wish you had reached out to our Front Desk or Guest Services Director during your stay, as they would have been more than happy to relocate you to another villa to ensure you had a most enjoyable stay.

I thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts.

Reviewed 23 May 2012

I went to Fernwood for a little get away in May with my girlfriend. We wanted to go to Bushkill Falls, so after looking at the Bushkill website we saw the website for Fernwood. We figured it was close to the falls and we would give it a chance. We planned on leaving Friday and coming home Sunday. Well Friday I decided to look up some reviews for this place. I should have cancelled my trip before we even went. I read the review about the bedbugs and was a little skeptical. I called the hotel during the day and asked told them that I read they may have bed bugs. The lady tried to convince me that they did not have them. She stated if there were bed bugs there, then she herself would not be there because she wouldnt want to bring them home either. I figured she had a good point. Well that was until we got there and I realized that the check-in desk is not in the hotel, so obviously she wouldnt get them. So we decided go and we went with an open-mind. We knew that we werent going to a four star resort, but I wasnt expecting a hotel that looked like it was out of a horror video. When we went to go check-in the girl was nice and helpful. We entered to hotel which is right across from the check-in and immediately noticed a disgusting smell. It smelled like smoke and dampness. Once again we understood that its an older place and figured we could deal with the smell. Our room was a suite on the second floor. When we got to our room off of the elevator we noticed the smell had gone away. We were relieved about that. Until we entered the room. The room was very old and outdated, but that is not one of our complaints. The room was disgusting. We had a jacuzzi tub in the room which looked like they just ran water through the tub to clean it. I wouldnt get in the tub unless I had a full body suit on. The bed literally looked like one of those beds where the springs stick out of it. We stripped the blanket and sheets off the bed just to check. The sheets were disgusting and looked like they had lint all over it, until we realized the lint were hard objects. To describe it better they looked like black splinters. Anyway with all that we didnt think it was too bad.

We called housekeeping asking for more pillows becasue they only gave us two. At this point we were trying to figure out if we wanted to stay or leave. We decided we would stay the night and if we were still unhappy we would leave in the morning. Well that all changed once we went into the bathroom. In the tub there were several bugs that looked like ticks. We understand it is in the woods so thats more then possible for ticks to be in there. Well we took a picture of one of the bugs and compared it to bedbugs and it was identical. Also we read that bedbugs are likely to come out of the wall and that is exactly what we saw. Behind the toilet we noticed little bugs that were coming out of the wall. We were disgusted at this point. At this point we realized we couldnt stay here and risk it incase there were bedbugs. We decided we were going to leave after debating for about 40 minutes. While we were in the bathroom I went to get the soap and wash my hands. The soap came in a little box but on the box was a curly little hair that didnt look like it was from someones head. I was so disgusted that I grabbed our stuff and left. Btw housekeeping never gave us pillows. We also understand why the sheets are dirty. They keep them right next to the vending machines in what looked like a hole in the wall closet on wooden shelves that were kept open.

We brought our stuff to the cars then went to go check out. When we got to reception a gentleman (im assuming a manager) asked if he could help us. I said yes I would like to check out and he said sure. I told him we had just arrived an hour ago and felt the place was disgusting and we told him about our complaints. He went to go get the girl that checked us in. As soon as we told him about the bugs he told us he would refund our money. He wouldnt even let us finish talking. It was as if he knew there were possibly bedbugs, but didnt want us to make a big deal about it. Also the girl and manager was telling us that the bug we saw was not a bedbug, but any type of bug is not acceptable he said. We never described the bug to them, so how would they know it isnt a bedbug? Anyway the manager went to go check the room as we were getting the refund. The girl then said "just so you know bedbugs only live in the bed and they cant be seen by the naked eye, you can google it" Well little did she know before we went to check out we did google it and we read that bed bugs dont live in just the bed. It actually said that bedbugs will come out of the wall (which is were the bugs in the bathroom came out of) and can live in any part of a room or home. At that point I was so angry at driving three hours there just to have to drive another three hours home. I also found it very odd that they were so willing to give us a refund before we could even finish telling them about the bugs. We were waiting to recieve our refund before writing this review.

Advice to those who are thinking of going to Bushkill Falls. DO NOT STAY at Fernwood. IT is gross. I am not over exaderating. I read the other reviews before going and it was my mistake for not believing them. Just about all the negative reviews are accurate.

Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple
8  Thank A2325
FernwoodResort, Owner at Villas at Tree Tops and Fairway, responded to this reviewResponded 6 March 2015

This is a review for a property located across from Fernwood Resort that has been closed for over a year and is not affiliated.