“Won't be back”

Northampton Hibachi Buffet and Grill
Ranked #228 of 303 Restaurants in Easton
Cuisines: Chinese
Reviewed April 19, 2017

On Tuesday, April 11th I visited this buffet with my husband and two daughters, ages nearly 7 and nearly 7 months. I, a very exhausted mother, was trying to eat and take a much needed break while my husband played point for a bit. We are native Pennsylvanians currently living 3,000 miles away in Europe, and so our travel had been draining.

I think the array of dishes offered at this restaurant is impressive but given that the place was quite empty, I wonder how it is cost effective to have so much and I wonder a little how old the food might be. That being said, that is not the crux of my complaint.

When our baby daughter needed a diaper change, my husband went up with the diapering equipment and asked where the restroom was. Our waitress and the manager were sitting at a nearby table going over some business papers (it looked) and talking.

After my husband asked his question, they pointed in the direction of the restrooms, but then said, with a big smile, "The men's room does not have a changing table."

My husband said to them, "You really need to have a changing table in both restrooms."

They seemed to think this was highly amusing and looked at me judgmentally, who was trying to eat some of her meal without near constant interruption from our elder daughter. I got up, after what must have been the millionth interruption in my failure to actually eat the meal I was paying for looked at them and said, "You know, it is 2017. Both fathers and mothers care for children. You DO need to address that. It is sexist. " They smirked at me. Afterwards, I caught them giggling and whispering to some other waiters.

A diaper changing station costs a whopping $100-150 dollars (an easy, low-cost investment for a business) and can be easily installed in both restrooms which are spacious enough. May I ask what my husband would have been expected to do if he was alone with our kids? Or if there were two fathers instead? This is why you equip both bathrooms!

If you are a parent who is tired of this crap, tired of being a father forced to change children on the floor of the men's room and tired of being a mother who is unable to divide child care up equally because of these dinosaurs stuck in sexist ways, who then even insult their customers to top it all off, spend your money elsewhere. They won't get the picture otherwise. How a family divides up childcare is not their concern. We won't be back and we are sharing this experience far and wide.

1  Thank akbittner

Reviewed April 8, 2017 via mobile

Well the decor is a little dark and dated. They still have the Valentines decorations up and it is April. The buffet has a fair selection of food and to be honest none of it looks too dry. The spring roll has an interesting twist with some kind of meat puree in it. I would stay clear of the cheese wantons, but that is just my taste (it is kind of a ricotta) If anyone likes ricotta it may be your cup of tea. The hibachi could have larger selection. and the sushi was pitted and had imitation crab meat in the Philadelphia Roll instead of salmon.

The service today was better than others have posted on this site. The staff were attentive. I would have liked to have given the restaurant more, but I was turned off by the artificial colors of some of the dishes.

1  Thank SPMurphy
Reviewed January 18, 2017

In the 21st century, new businesses threatening pre-existing competitors elicit bogus reviews from threatened employees, whether immoral, illegal or fattening. Poison pills are a dead giveaway. It is not the path to Making America Great Again!

The best healthcare value in the Northeast surrounds Northampton Hibachi Grill. Family care in Bangor, Saint Luke's and Muhlenberg hospitals in Bethlehem and America's Best Optical in Whitehall all rate second to none, 50 years of Pocono residency and national travel for work have taught me Monroe County is a place for the well-heeled, while Northampton County is a place to go to get healed.

With a hotel/restaurant/transportation career path and a fondness for ethnic foods,
I have tried Asian buffets in over half the United States.and Canada. 5-star Asian buffets nationwide could be counted on one's toes, with none in the Lehigh Valley. Dunmore's Electric City was a 4.5. The cuisine near Dickson City's defunct Old Country Buffet may rate a 5.0, but not the total experience. Few Asian buffets offer more than ten distinct flavors among their dozens of pre-cooked entrees, repeating the sauces with different ingredients. Not so Northampton, which offers about thirty. How many buffets offer multiple varieties of (and recipes for) steamed cabbage?

I eat neither pork nor seafood, so distinct flavors for food from the land are a must for me, and fowl may be neither predator nor foul.

Asian restaurants are notorious for dirty restrooms. Not so this one.

Some years I may not pass by during business hours for a year or so. One of those times, I stopped in after being released from a three-week hospital stay, but did not visit again for nearly a year. The hostess was occupied with a table when I entered, so a waitress seated me. I was in middle of my first bowl of soup when the hostess approached with a credit card in her hand, saying "DO YOU KNOW YOU LEFT YOUR CREDIT CARD HERE?" NO business with that level of Integrity deserves 2.5 stars, even if its product was sub-par, which NORTHAMPTON has not been for at least 20 years. I have patronized about 10 of its competitors over the last 30 years. None have compared. For total eperience, this operation earns 6 stars out of 5.

Reviewed April 27, 2016

Food was acceptable, hibachi was good, prices were reasonable and it was great for the kids to try different things.

1  Thank Patricia A
Reviewed April 25, 2016

Huge selection every time. I particularly like the roasted pork shoulder which is whole and you can carve what you like. It's not seasoned with Chinese spices so there is something for non-Chinese food loving people to enjoy besides the Americanized fried foods which pervade all Chinese buffets. Excellent egg-drop soup and the peanut chicken is tasty. Nice selection of fresh cut fruit The place is always clean, staff friendly. Since it's a buffet, there isn't a lot of service, but they bring you tea and take away your dirty plates quickly, and that's all I expect.