See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed September 25, 2018

I was in town for Homecoming weekend so I was super excited to get to the hotel.

I arrived early and was able to get a room within 20 mins! The room was clean, good lighting, and wifi service was on point. I enjoyed my stay and would highly recommend the Avalon to my friends and family!

• Trip type: Travelled with friends
Reviewed September 16, 2018

I've stayed at The Avalon for one night each August for the past several years now. In I've scored it and reviewed it on somewhat of a curve, as the management seemed to be trying to make improvements, plus the fact that with hotel options in downtown Erie very limited, this one has always walked the line between acceptable and affordable. In 2017, the condition was getting a bit rougher and appeared to be on the heels of a conversion to DoubleTree, promoted on a large sign on display in the lobby, complete with artist's renderings. Flash forward to August 2018. The hotel is still not a Double Tree, but I'm pleased to say that after a questionable stay last year, things are looking up again at the hotel. The staff, especially housekeeping seems to be more on top of things. As with all of my previous reviews of this hotel, there are good, bad and odd things to report.

The Good: The location is great -- in a lively area of downtown Erie and just a block or two away from several great bars and restaurants, most of which are reasonably priced. The rooms are clean for the most part, even if the condition isn't perfect. Parking is free in the underground garage if there's room, and if not, the hotel welcome guests to park in the front if there's room. Otherwise, street parking is free on Saturday nights and Sundays, as well as in the parking lots of some local banks that the front desk clerks can guide you to. The first impression of the room is okay, revealing nice bedding and at least some attempt at making the rooms appear contemporary. The room is also very spacious and in some rooms, the desk has several outlets built into the wall. This year, the hotel made a noticeable upgrade in the quality of the shampoo, conditioner and bath gel. They may have downgraded with the soap though. The legit retro wheeled desk chairs are awesome and in pristine condition. Hopefully, these remain after the DoubleTree conversion, as many DoubleTree hotels have desk chairs that are very similar.

The Bad: While they made upgrades to some toiletries, there was but one tiny bar of very cheap soap -- the kind that's very brittle and broke into two even tinier pieces as soon as it was unwrapped. There's also a serious lack of electrical outlets anywhere near the beds. While many aspects of the room were freshened, others yearn for attention: some carpets are stained, the lack of a flat screen television, a little grout in the bathtub of some rooms, an old school thermostat is turned down to temperatures in the 40s, which keeps the room at a comfortable cool temperature, but I shudder to think of how hot it might be during a summer heatwave. I have been fortunate enough not to encounter such heat during any of my visits.

The Odd: Where to begin... Some of the most odd (yet fun) things are in the public areas of the hotel: The fish tank built into the wall behind the front desk, directional signs with numbers (for rooms) that look like they should be on mailboxes. On this recent visit, I encountered a strange wheeled ring sitting outside of the elevators ion on the parking garage level (see pic). Sadly, all of these quirky things will probably go away with the eventual upgrade to the DoubleTree. While there have been some nice attempts to make the rooms contemporary, things like the curtains and big old-school television keep it dated. This year was the first year that my room didn't have a newer-ish giant piece of furniture (think triple-size armoire) in the center, holding the old-school television (the square space for the television won't hold a rectangle flat screen TV), making the giant old television in the room I had this year look even more out of place sitting atop a dresser in the open (see pic). The hotel frequently hosts weddings on weekends, so it's a bit of a party hotel, which is all well and good, as it's never been an issue for me. Still, interesting things happen, like the guy sleeping in the hall (2015) at the other end of my floor's hallway. When I walked past later on, he had been upgraded to having a blanket and pillow. Odd, but harmless. During my 2016 visit, when I went to checkout, there was a sign on the desk that no one was there and to leave your key if checking out. As I was taking a picture of the sign, a young man vacuuming came over to help me and took my key, though I don't think he worked at the front desk. The young man working the front desk upon check-in this year was better dressed and more professional than previous years' encounters, but there's still some odd aspects to the check-in process, like photocopying my ID, as if I were checking into a cheap hotel that requires deposits for the keys.

Room tip: Ask for a room that's in good shape!
Date of stay: August 2018
  • Trip type: Travelled with friends
Reviewed September 11, 2018 via mobile

We booked this hotel due to a convenient location to Presque Island marathon event on September 9, 2018. We stayed two nights. The beds were comfortable but the rooms are in need of major renovation. Wallpaper was peeling off the wall, toilet would continue to run after flushing, and there was dust and litter behind nightstand when I went to plug in phone charger. The ladies at the front desk were very courteous and apologetic about the rooms. Also the breakfast “buffet” was basically box cereal, bread, and store bought bagels. No hot foods available.
Dave

Trip type: Travelled with family
Reviewed September 10, 2018 via mobile

This hotel was just okay. According to them they are getting ready for a renovation, they need to update a few things. Our room had peeling wallpaper and rough looking windowsills. A good dusting behind furniture wouldn’t hurt. Staff was very nice and accommodating. The advertised breakfast buffet was lacking in comparison to others we’ve been to recently.

Trip type: Travelled with family
Reviewed September 4, 2018 via mobile

We've stayed at the Avalon twice before, nothing to write home about, but it's never been this bad (and the 1st stay included a bleeding guy passed out in the elevator). It's known that the parking garage is shady and the elevators are a little shotty, the front desk staff is always sweet as are they maintenence/cleaning guys. We arrived to room 415 and noticed that the refrigerator was missing and the room was really warm, which was whatever, we called the front desk to let them know and discovered that there was now a $15 extra charge due to restaurants now being on site; the air will get colder after it runs we are assured, makes sense. We leave and come back a few hours later and the room is still the same temperature but we will survive, at least we have a refrigerator for cold drinks - nope, the refrigerator was broken. So we requested another one since we had to pay for it and the second one did work.

Breakfast is NOT AT ALL what it used to be, you now get stale bagels, cereal, juice, and yogurt. The microwave and toasters quit working the second day because they blew the power strip and wouldn't cooperate with the repair guy, we went to a local diner the rest of our stay.

Our stay was for 4 nights, we had to have our door key reset 3 different times during our stay because it kept getting reset by the front desk.

The elevator did break once and we took the stairs - BIG MISTAKE.. We went out a door on the 2nd floor by mistake (because nothing is labeled) and it legitimately looked like something from the shining, it was terrifying. Finally found the correct door and ended up outside of the lobby.

I don't even care about the strange sticky stains on the floor and curtains, the mold, the old style TV, it's the other inconveniences that has completely turned us off from returning to the Avalon.

The worst part is that the staff continually tells guests that soon the hotel will be the Doubletree and these issues will be resolved, that's great for future guests but what about those who are/were staying now?

Date of stay: September 2018
Trip type: Travelled as a couple