“Great place to stay especially for pets”
Review of Red Roof Inn Erie

Red Roof Inn Erie
Ranked #6 of 38 Hotels in Erie
Reviewed 9 May 2012

First let me say that I am writing this review during my stay so that everything is fresh. I have nothing negative to say about the hotel or its staff, but I do want to make other travelers aware of certain things regarding its locaton. I'll get to those shortly.

My experience began well before my trip, as I had to contact the hotel regarding their pet policy. I am traveling with my wife and two small dogs, and the policy sates one pet per room. However, I was told that since my dogs are small this was not a problem. That was confirmed upon check-in.

When I checked in I found thatI had mistakenly booked only a standard room with no fridge or microwave, but since no standard rooms were available at my arrival I was upgraded for free. I was given an upstairs room which was a plus since the only the upstairs rooms have interior corridors. The hotel has been so recently renovated that the "new" smell still lingers strongly in the air, but not so strongly that it upset my wife's severe allergies. When we opened the door, we were surprised that rather than being covered with new carpet, as in the hallways, the room floor had been covered in a wood laminate, which again is extremely favorable to my wife given her allergies. Everything in the room is clean and neat, including and especially the bathroom, and the room has been painted in a very pleasant red-on-cream neutral scheme. Our dealings with the staff have been limited but pleasant. They offer no continental breakfast but do offer a voucher for free selected value meals at the McDonald's which abutts the property. The biggest plus is the fact that all rooms are smoke-free, and substatial penalties are in place for violating this policy to the tune of several hundred dollars. Smoking is permitted on the grounds, and we did see a few guests smoking outside of open room doors. Why they would leave the door open we do not know. I guess it's true: you can't fix...

The only problems I have with the hotel are regarding its location, and only because I did not read the description clearly. First, our main objective is to visit Presque Isle State Park. The hotel is across the street from Presque Isle Downs which I mistakenly thought was right by the park. In reality, the park is 10 miles away which means 20-30 minutes driving depending on traffic. Also, the hotel is literally right off Interstate 90. Our room is in the back so we only hear the noise from the interstate if we are outside walking mainly around the front of the building. I am not sure what the front room experience might be like, so I throw this information out there in case someone finds it useful. The biggest drawback to the property itself is the lack of picnic tables. We will have to carry our food and portable grill with us to the park in order to have an area to use them.

All in all, our experience has been pleasant so far. Due to its distance from Presque Isle State Park it is unknown whether we will stay here again, but for travelers where the driving time is either not a consideration or is acceptable, I would recommend this property.

Room Tip: Rooms in the back definitely have no interstate noise; I don't know about front rooms.
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank nature-seer
jgdanetz, General Manager at Red Roof Inn Erie, responded to this reviewResponded 23 May 2012

Let me first start by saying how grateful I am that while you would have preferred to be closer to our state park that you were nonetheless satisfied with your stay. We try our hardest to win over travelers who are unsure of Red Roof's or who are first time stayers. It also makes me happy to hear that you liked our renovations in the rooms. I agree with you that the laminate flooring was a needed touch to bring the cleanliness of our hotel to another level. And in regards to our lack of picnic tables I would like to mention that we now have a few along our exterior as well as a few more benches for our guests.

Reviewed 6 May 2012

we stayed here on friday may 5 with our two dogs and we were very surprised with the rooms and staff. The staff were fast and pleasant, we were checked in and in our room in minutes. The rooms are remodeled and super clean and modern (no more dirty carpets like other motels) this is so nice.Room has fridge microwave safe and flat screen tv and pillow top beds that are nice and comfy. I would recommend this place to everyone. McDonalds breakfast is included.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled with family
jgdanetz, General Manager at Red Roof Inn Erie, responded to this reviewResponded 8 May 2012

Thank you for staying with us and allowing us the privilege of serving you. It always makes me proud to hear when our guest's tell us that they are surprised at the quality of our hotel. My whole staff has been working extra hard to keep our new found status as the number one hotel in Erie. I am glad that you enjoyed the renovations that we made to the hotel. I am also very grateful for your recommendation of our hotel as well. We look forward to seeing you again!

Reviewed 30 April 2012

I have made it a rule to stay at Red Roof. The rooms are clean and the staff was so curtious.

Room Tip: super clean!
1  Thank Noreen O

I have to say that your rule is one that I would like to see more people follow! We love hearing that we have won the loyalty and trust of our guests. We will certainly continue to do our best and look forward to seeing you stop through town soon!

Reviewed 29 April 2012

Best Budget Hotel we have ever stayed in. Shayne,Dane, Diane and Joyce very curtious and helpfull. Convenient ,clean and the changes to the rooms very nice.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled with family

Thank you for your kind words of support for our hotel and also your compliments of my front desk staff. We have all been trying our hardest to make sure all of our guests have their best stays while at our hotel. I appreciate that we were able to win your trust as a hotel and have you return to us a second time. I hope that your third stay is as exceptional as your last!

Reviewed 27 April 2012

The room was nicer than expected. Bathroom very narrow. If you are light sleeper do not stay here, the highway is very close and traffic noise is steady.

Room Tip: The voucher for b'fast at MacDonald's was appreciated.
1  Thank fortyninthstate

I am glad that our recent room renovation exceeded your expectations for what a Red Roof should be. However I am sorry that our current layout of our rooms and highway noise caused you some discomfort. I would like to note that on the second floor our bath rooms are a bit larger due to the overhang of the building. I hope that you will stay with us again and let us reserve you a room away from highway with the larger bathrooms.

Reviewed 26 April 2012

I was very impressed with the recent total renovations to the hotel and rooms. I've stayed at a lot of Red Roof Inns and I have to say that this was the nicest room I've ever been in at any of the hotels. I was really caught by surprise (pleasantly though) on the changes, they did a great job. I get a lot of ribbing from my colleagues for my staying at Red Roof Inns instead of the pricier hotels, but if any of them stayed here I think they would change their minds. As usual the hotel staff was great, I would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled on business
jgdanetz, General Manager at Red Roof Inn Erie, responded to this reviewResponded 2 May 2012

Let me start by saying that I am very pleased that you choose to stay with us over the pricier hotels. Red Roof Inn as a company is taking on a new look and attitude and I would love nothing more than to have our hotel be the flagship of that movement. I am glad that you found our new renovation to be pleasantly surprising. I hope that eventually we can convince the rest of your colleagues to give us a try here in Erie and show them how great a Red Roof Inn can be.

Reviewed 23 April 2012

I would rate this as the best budget hotel I've ever stayed in. Clean wood floors in the room and bath, modern, up-dated facilities, free McD breakfast, free wi-fi. FANTASTIC.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank 560Davidv560

Thank you so much for giving us such high marks! We love hearing that our cleaning and maintenance is paying off and that our new look is going over so well. I hope you stop through soon because we would absolutely love to have you stay with us again.