“A nice place to stay”
Review of Red Roof Inn Erie

Red Roof Inn Erie
Ranked #6 of 38 Hotels in Erie
Reviewed 4 September 2012

The rooms are newly renovated and very clean. The staffs are friendly. Parking is adequate. It's close to I-90. The ac unit works well and quiet. A complimentary breakfast coupon at McDonald's next door is included in the room rate. The only downside is they don't have an elevator and is not convenient for guest staying on 2nd floor.

Room Tip: Rooms facing away from the highway are quieter.
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank heheharhar13579
jgdanetz, General Manager at Red Roof Inn Erie, responded to this reviewResponded 11 September 2012

I am very glad that you enjoyed your stay with us so much! I would like to thank you for writing about your experience as well, for we appreciate all of our guest's feedback. We have recently taken on a new maintenance man, and I am very grateful when I hear that he is doing great work with our air conditioning units. I would like to apologize for our not having an elevator as an option for accessing the second floor. Unfortunately we were not blessed with the layout required to accommodate an elevator. My staff however have all been thoroughly trained and are more than willing to go the extra mile in making our guests feel comfortable, whether that be carrying up luggage and/or pets or running ice up to a guest's room. I hope that the next time you choose to stay with us we will be able to place you into one of our first floor rooms.

Reviewed 4 September 2012

There is no way this hotel should be #1 in Erie. The best I can say is the rooms were infact very clean. Otherwise, the location is so-so, the hallway had a weird smell, the pillows and sheets were not nice, and there are almost no amenities. We had a room facing the highway and as others mentioned, it was pretty loud at night, but what was even louder was when the air conditioner turned on. It sounded like a plane taking off.
The limited interaction I had with the staff was friendly and the decor is updated but I will not be a repeat customer.

• Stayed: September 2012

I am very sorry indeed to hear that your experience with us did not live up to our online reputation. We take pride in our status as the number one rated hotel on tripadvisor in our area. I would like to apologize if you felt that our hallways did not have a pleasant odor. I want you to know as our guest that we take every piece of feedback as rooms for improvement. As such I have already made an appointment for our hallway carpeting to be cleaned. I would hope that you will reconsider your decision to not stay with the Red Roof Inn any more. We would love to have you stay with us and allow us another chance to earn your faith in our hotel.

Reviewed 4 September 2012

Due to the fact that this was a newly renovated property, we decided to give it a try. It was clean and reasonably priced, but certainly a very basic hotel. Good for a nights stay but don't expect much more.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple
jgdanetz, General Manager at Red Roof Inn Erie, responded to this reviewResponded 8 September 2012

Thank you for commenting on your recent stay with us in Erie. I am glad that you found our rooms to be clean and worth the value, although I wish we could have done more to "wow" you during your stay. I encourage all of our guests here to let us know if there is ever anything we can do to improve their stay. My staff have all been trained to be the as friendly and accommodating as possible. I hope that on your next visit through town you will allow us another opportunity to serve you.

Reviewed 2 September 2012

The Good:
The rooms are newer and decorated nicely. Parking is good as well and it's fairly close to all the main attractions in the area. The air conditioning is superb and the staff is EXTREMELY friendly. I've never encountered such a nice hotel staff. Everyone from the front desk clerks to the maids and maintenance men were so pleasant and accommodating. Also, its a pet friendly and smoke free hotel which is awesome!

The Bad:
First of all, the price for this place was ridiculous. I stayed two nights and paid nearly $300.00. I've paid that SAME rate for a four day stay down in Myrtle Beach at a really nice resort. This hotel doesn't even have a pool or fitness center and they expect us to pay the same as the hotels that do!? what the rip-off! And unfortunately, there idea of a "complimentary breakfast" is coupons for a Mcdonald's that's by the hotel.

Secondly, the room wasn't very clean. There was still food left in the fridge from the last people who said in there and the shower looked like it hadn't been clean in months and had no shower liner so the wood floor got soaked and slippery after every shower. Also, there was no shampoo or lotion or any other little complimentary items you expect to see in hotels.

And finally, there was no bible in the room. I know this is 2012 and there's a lot of hullabaloo about religious matters but I think a bible should always be in every hotel room. And if that's a problem, add all the other religious texts while your at it and that should shut everyone up who has a problem with a bible being in the room. Also didn't like the fact that the windows didn't open up, there was no view, and the walls are paper-thin. Could hardly sleep through the sounds of a crying baby, an arguing couple, and someone elses' TV being at full volume.

Over all, this was the worse hotel stay I've ever had but it still isn't a bad hotel. I suggest it for people traveling on business or even for older couples looking for a little getaway.

Room Tip: Try to get a room on the first floor. There is no elevator and it stinks of you have a lot of lugga...
  • Stayed: September 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank Katie M

I would like to thank you for taking the time for writing a review about your stay with us. While I am not happy to know that you did not enjoy your stay I am at least grateful for your honest review as I feel it helps preserve the integrity of Tripadvisor. I am sorry that your room was not cleaned up to our standards. We have since taken on a few new hiree's to help with the maintenance of our hotel. I am glad that you brought to my attention a few issues that I have over looked recently. I have already made all of my housekeepers aware that they are to make sure a bible is placed in every room. Also as for the lack of shampoo in the room I would like to apologize for my housekeeping missing this on the room inspection. We do place shampoo in the bathrooms and I will make sure that my team does not miss this on our future daily inspections.

Reviewed 31 August 2012

This Red Roof Inn is a wonderful place to stay when you are shopping in Erie and surrounding areas. Very clean rooms and a newspaper delivered to your door knob during the week. Hotel is lacking a breakfast area, but with the McDonald's so close and a voucher given for your breakfast sandwich and drink, this hotel is great. Complimentary coffee and tea readily available at main office area. Clean staff and front desk staff were very helpful and pleasant, they give the hotel a feeling of small town charm. Will absolutely return again on next trip to Erie !

Room Tip: Handy parking outside your door if you get lower level rooms.
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled with friends
jgdanetz, General Manager at Red Roof Inn Erie, responded to this reviewResponded 2 September 2012

I am very happy that you so thoroughly enjoyed your stay with us! I am also glad that you were delivered a newspaper on the morning of your stay. That is one of the perks that any of our returning redicard members receive; a paper delivered to their door any weekday during their stay. Also I would like to thank you for your complimenting our front desk that they were friendly and that our hotel has a small town charm. I talk with my team daily about their friendliness because we believe that guest interaction plays a huge part of what makes a hotel great. We are all appreciative that you have decided to undoubtedly stay with us. We look forward to seeing you again and hope your travels bring your to our area again soon.

Reviewed 28 August 2012

Great place to stay. Clean rooms. Helpful friendly staff. Lots of things to do closeby. Free breakfast at McDonalds included. As always pet friendly. Will definitely stay here again on our next trip north.

• Stayed: August 2012
1  Thank lillypad_12

Our friendly staff and clean rooms are a reflection of our commitment to our guests. I am very glad that you found our hotel to be in close proximity to the local attractions. Some guests are hesitant to stay with us when they hear that they have to drive on the highway for shopping when it is only a short few minute drive to the next exit. I would like to thank you as well for considering us as your hotel of choice on your next visit through the area.

Reviewed 27 August 2012

I stayed at this hotel a couple of days and it was great. The king room is the way to go for one or two people lots of room with a fridge microwave and safe which is an option to use. Huge comfortable bed, big screen tv nice work area there is nothing not to like about this place. Also you get a free breakfast at mcdonalds (next door) and free slots play at the casino across the street I travel alot and this by far the best bargain your'e going to get for your'e buck.

Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple

Thank you so much for your lovely review of your experience with us! It brings me great joy to hear that you liked all aspects of our hotel. We have recently taken on a few new hires in multiple departments and they are helping tremendously with our guest satisfaction and the overall maintenance of our hotel. We are also glad that you consider our hotel the best value in the area! My staff and I have set our standards very high for ourselves and are glad that our guests appreciate our efforts.