All reviews mcdonald's breakfast free breakfast laminate floors superior king front desk room was clean non smoking off the highway no elevator first floor place to sleep would stay here again mini fridge parking lot staff was very friendly presque isle pleasant stay
Reviewed September 4, 2012

There is no way this hotel should be #1 in Erie. The best I can say is the rooms were infact very clean. Otherwise, the location is so-so, the hallway had a weird smell, the pillows and sheets were not nice, and there are almost no amenities. We had a room facing the highway and as others mentioned, it was pretty loud at night, but what was even louder was when the air conditioner turned on. It sounded like a plane taking off.
The limited interaction I had with the staff was friendly and the decor is updated but I will not be a repeat customer.

Date of stay: September 2012
jgdanetz, General Manager at Red Roof Inn Erie, responded to this reviewResponded September 11, 2012

I am very sorry indeed to hear that your experience with us did not live up to our online reputation. We take pride in our status as the number one rated hotel on tripadvisor in our area. I would like to apologize if you felt that our hallways did not have a pleasant odor. I want you to know as our guest that we take every piece of feedback as rooms for improvement. As such I have already made an appointment for our hallway carpeting to be cleaned. I would hope that you will reconsider your decision to not stay with the Red Roof Inn any more. We would love to have you stay with us and allow us another chance to earn your faith in our hotel.

Reviewed September 4, 2012

Due to the fact that this was a newly renovated property, we decided to give it a try. It was clean and reasonably priced, but certainly a very basic hotel. Good for a nights stay but don't expect much more.

• Trip type: Travelled as a couple
jgdanetz, General Manager at Red Roof Inn Erie, responded to this reviewResponded September 8, 2012

Thank you for commenting on your recent stay with us in Erie. I am glad that you found our rooms to be clean and worth the value, although I wish we could have done more to "wow" you during your stay. I encourage all of our guests here to let us know if there is ever anything we can do to improve their stay. My staff have all been trained to be the as friendly and accommodating as possible. I hope that on your next visit through town you will allow us another opportunity to serve you.

Reviewed September 2, 2012

The Good:
The rooms are newer and decorated nicely. Parking is good as well and it's fairly close to all the main attractions in the area. The air conditioning is superb and the staff is EXTREMELY friendly. I've never encountered such a nice hotel staff. Everyone from the front desk clerks to the maids and maintenance men were so pleasant and accommodating. Also, its a pet friendly and smoke free hotel which is awesome!

The Bad:
First of all, the price for this place was ridiculous. I stayed two nights and paid nearly $300.00. I've paid that SAME rate for a four day stay down in Myrtle Beach at a really nice resort. This hotel doesn't even have a pool or fitness center and they expect us to pay the same as the hotels that do!? what the rip-off! And unfortunately, there idea of a "complimentary breakfast" is coupons for a Mcdonald's that's by the hotel.

Secondly, the room wasn't very clean. There was still food left in the fridge from the last people who said in there and the shower looked like it hadn't been clean in months and had no shower liner so the wood floor got soaked and slippery after every shower. Also, there was no shampoo or lotion or any other little complimentary items you expect to see in hotels.

And finally, there was no bible in the room. I know this is 2012 and there's a lot of hullabaloo about religious matters but I think a bible should always be in every hotel room. And if that's a problem, add all the other religious texts while your at it and that should shut everyone up who has a problem with a bible being in the room. Also didn't like the fact that the windows didn't open up, there was no view, and the walls are paper-thin. Could hardly sleep through the sounds of a crying baby, an arguing couple, and someone elses' TV being at full volume.

Over all, this was the worse hotel stay I've ever had but it still isn't a bad hotel. I suggest it for people traveling on business or even for older couples looking for a little getaway.

Room tip: Try to get a room on the first floor. There is no elevator and it stinks of you have a lot of luggage and such to carry up a huge flight of stairs.
  • Trip type: Travelled with friends
1  Thank Katie M

I would like to thank you for taking the time for writing a review about your stay with us. While I am not happy to know that you did not enjoy your stay I am at least grateful for your honest review as I feel it helps preserve the integrity of Tripadvisor. I am sorry that your room was not cleaned up to our standards. We have since taken on a few new hiree's to help with the maintenance of our hotel. I am glad that you brought to my attention a few issues that I have over looked recently. I have already made all of my housekeepers aware that they are to make sure a bible is placed in every room. Also as for the lack of shampoo in the room I would like to apologize for my housekeeping missing this on the room inspection. We do place shampoo in the bathrooms and I will make sure that my team does not miss this on our future daily inspections.

Reviewed August 31, 2012

This Red Roof Inn is a wonderful place to stay when you are shopping in Erie and surrounding areas. Very clean rooms and a newspaper delivered to your door knob during the week. Hotel is lacking a breakfast area, but with the McDonald's so close and a voucher given for your breakfast sandwich and drink, this hotel is great. Complimentary coffee and tea readily available at main office area. Clean staff and front desk staff were very helpful and pleasant, they give the hotel a feeling of small town charm. Will absolutely return again on next trip to Erie !

Room tip: Handy parking outside your door if you get lower level rooms.
Date of stay: August 2012
  • Trip type: Travelled with friends
jgdanetz, General Manager at Red Roof Inn Erie, responded to this reviewResponded September 2, 2012

I am very happy that you so thoroughly enjoyed your stay with us! I am also glad that you were delivered a newspaper on the morning of your stay. That is one of the perks that any of our returning redicard members receive; a paper delivered to their door any weekday during their stay. Also I would like to thank you for your complimenting our front desk that they were friendly and that our hotel has a small town charm. I talk with my team daily about their friendliness because we believe that guest interaction plays a huge part of what makes a hotel great. We are all appreciative that you have decided to undoubtedly stay with us. We look forward to seeing you again and hope your travels bring your to our area again soon.

Reviewed August 28, 2012

Great place to stay. Clean rooms. Helpful friendly staff. Lots of things to do closeby. Free breakfast at McDonalds included. As always pet friendly. Will definitely stay here again on our next trip north.

Date of stay: August 2012
1  Thank lillypad_12

Our friendly staff and clean rooms are a reflection of our commitment to our guests. I am very glad that you found our hotel to be in close proximity to the local attractions. Some guests are hesitant to stay with us when they hear that they have to drive on the highway for shopping when it is only a short few minute drive to the next exit. I would like to thank you as well for considering us as your hotel of choice on your next visit through the area.