“Could have been a 4 star...”

Wyndham Garden Philadelphia Airport
Ranked #2 of 7 Hotels in Essington
PA
“Could have been a 4 star...”
Reviewed 2 April 2012

We did the Sleep/Park/Fly package due to an early morning flight out of PHL. Arrived after 9:00 pm, so all we really had to do was sleep. The hotel seemed newly renovated, and we were put on the first floor near the lobby which I thought would be a nightmare for noise. It actually wasn't too bad. Getting the shuttle to the airport in the morning was pretty painless and the driver was very helpful. The trouble was on the way back. I did as they requested and called the hotel upon getting our bags when we landed. Soon after as I was stepping outside to the waiting area on the curb, I saw the Wyndham van drive right by. I called the number again and she said 'no problem, there is another van coming right behind that one'. 20 minutes later...still no van (the hotel is at most 10 minutes away). Everyone else on our flight had cleared out of the airport. My husband called and was told again 'there is a driver on the way'. When he said 'that's what you told us 20 minutes ago, she changed her story and said 'well someone will be there in 10 - 15 minutes'. At that point, having already been in transit for 11 hours and another 3 hour drive ahead of us, my husband blew up and said 'get someone here NOW!' Within a couple of minutes the van appeared (the same one I saw the first time) and the driver said he had only just then received the call. WHAT??? So the word of advice is, if you don't get a van within 10 minutes, call and demand that they get someone there ASAP. The woman answering the phone was obviously not at all concerned about customers on their way home.

2 Thank peachy7
WyndhamGardenPHL, Manager at Wyndham Garden Philadelphia Airport, responded to this review, 5 April 2012
Thank you for your posting. We apologize for the challenges you faced with your return shuttle. We apologize for the miscommunication between our desk staff and the shuttle driver. We do hope that you enjoyed your trip and this did not incredibly damper your visit. We thank you for your business and have addressed this issue with the front desk staff and the shuttle company. We look forward to being of service again in the future.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (105)
Reviewed 1 April 2012

Got to my room today & the tv wouldn't work. I checked the connection & the plug. I called the front desk spoke with the desk clerk about the tv. She called maintenance for me to fix the tv. I waited over a hour no one showed up, fixed it myself called front desk back to let them I got it to work. The front desk lady was very surprised apologized for him not showing up. Not good service.

• Stayed April 2012
We're very sorry to hear that you faced challenges with your TV and for it taking too long for someone to come and address the issue. Our maintenance team works diligently to assist all of our guests in order of priority and severity, and I do apologize for the delay in the response time, as we assure you they were assisting other guests, and would have definitely responded to your request.
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed 1 April 2012

We did FlySleepPark at this hotel. Since we got there early we left our bags with the pleasant and helpful front desk person and came back real late to our room. We wanted a drink in the bar so they kept it open for us (it apparently closes as 10 pm!) and the bartender made a martini just the way I like it. Our room was quiet, clean and had everything we needed. Some of the decor is updated here but they are still working on the hotel transforming it from way too much dingy beige to more modern colors and prints. I didn't hear any construction noise but then I'd asked for a room that was "extra quiet location" and got it. A pleasant surprise was photo reprints of Philadelphia from the forties scattered about the walls of the hotel (including a print of a surviving black Union soldier in front of a statue of Abraham Lincoln) and a larger print of the train station in the bedroom (not your usually chain hotel picture fare!). The pickup to the airport went smoothly and our car was intact. Breakfast choices included a "healthy" one. The one outstanding thing was the pleasantness and helpfulness of all staff I encountered (either in elevators, maid and hotel workers said hi in corridor, restaurant staff were accommodating etc). We didn't encounter any problems that needed resolving.

Room Tip: This is a big hotel with very long corridors so if you have knee problems, ask for something near th...
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
Thank you for your posting. We appreciate your candid and honest review, and we look forward to being of service to you again when you visit the Philadelphia area. Thank you very much for your business, it is appreciated and valued.
New York City, New York
Reviewed 31 March 2012

I don't give many 'poor' reviews, and I'm reluctant to write this one (while catching up on reviews I haven't gotten back to over the past year) for two reasons. 1) The manager on duty the night we were there late last spring was absolutely fabulous, and really working to make our stay comfortable, and 2) while it wasn't apparent during our stay, it seems they have been working through a renovation project. Perhaps that's all finished now - which would be very good news!

During our stay, however, we thought the quality of the hotel was FAR below what I would expect at ANY property carrying the Wyndham name. There was a peculiar, over-sterilized odor throughout our floor, and everything seemed worn and threadbare. I went down for a burger in the restaurant (which I understand is not actually part of the hotel) and felt like I was eating in a high school cafeteria. Having stayed in several airport hotels near PHL, this was by far the least pleasing experience I've had at any of them.

But to reiterate - one reason I didn't write sooner was due to the attentive and friendly service we received from the manager on duty when we arrived while they were struggling to accommodate passengers from a cancelled flight. He was pleasant, helpful, and patient - and very appreciative of our patience as well.

So maybe we drew a bad card, or maybe it's better now, but based on our one stay there, I'd be quite reticent to return.

• Stayed May 2011, travelled as a couple

Travellers are raving about these Essington hotels

Maryland
Reviewed 26 March 2012

Stayed here twice with a 6 month gap in between visits. First visit for one night. It was terrible. Our room had ants through out. Moved us to another room. It was better. Plus, the hotel was under alot of construction. The second visit was for 2 nights. Construction completed. Staff is so so. It's a hit or miss on who cares about customers. Room was clean. Hotel was clean. Alot happier this time. But, housekeeping not on the ball though. Make sure you lock up your belongings of value or keep them in your car. The restaruant is private owned. Nothing to do with Hotel. Be careful on what you order. I would stay here again. But will speak with GM when booking my next stay.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
Thank you for your posting. We're happy to hear that you gave our hotel a second try. We recommend to all of our guests, no matter where you stay in your travels to safeguard your personal valuables. We provide all of our guests with an in room safe for your own piece of mind. We have a very reputable and long term staff, and ensure that all guess are provided with excellent service. Thank you for your business.
Florida
Reviewed 15 March 2012

I booked this hotel on hotwire and was upset because I thought I was going to get a place near the Stadium. Annoyed and after driving 5 hours in the car with fussy kids, I was quite crabby when I arrived and found out that there were no more carts for our luggage (and there were alot!) Bauan, the front desk said that no one returned the carts, but made every effort in finding a way to get our things to our rooms. He really bent over backwards to please us. The staff was friendly. Our room was clean and comfortable 4 star quality at a low 3 star price. The hotel was an easy drive from 95. Very comfortable beds, too. Excellent choice for the budget traveller.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled with family
Thank you for your posting. We're glad that you were pleasantly surprised and we hope that you still found us to be a convenient offering only a few minutes from the Stadium/Sports complex area. Our managers will go out of their way to ensure that our guests are accommodated, and provided with excellent service, so we're happy to know that Bavan was available to assist you with your luggage. We hope that we will have the opportunity to be of service to you and your family again soon.
New York City
Reviewed 13 March 2012

We usually avoid airport hotels, but since our daughter in Philly lives 15 minutes away, and since all hotels in the center city area not only are expensive but also charge a fortune for parking, we decided to try. The Wyndham is newly renovated, offer large rooms (we had a king size bed and a queen size sleeper couch!), is immaculate, with all amenities including a fitness center, free wi-fi, free parking...only no breakfast included (but then again Denny's is next door!)
The staff was amazingly friendly. The room rate was quite reasonable and the hotel was not only quiet but was convenient to all Philly attractions. Spend the money on a top Philly restaurant--stay at the Wyndham and feel like a king!

• Stayed March 2012, travelled with family
Thank you for your time in sharing your experience wih us and fellow travelers. We're very pleased to hear that you enjoyed your visit with us and our newly renovated hotel. We definitely create a value over downtown hotels, and a much lower tax rate as well. With free parking, and free wi-fi and free shuttle to and from the airport.....you save a lot of money. We also offer free shuttle to and from Harrah's Chester. We hope to see you again when you are visiting your daughter and we thank you for your business. We look forward to being of service to you.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Essington
0.3 km away
5.4 km away
Hampton Inn Philadelphia-International Airport
6.5 km away
Hawthorn Suites by Wyndham Philadelphia Airport

Been to Wyndham Garden Philadelphia Airport? Share your experiences!