“Need to hire housekeeping that know how to clean.”

The Clarion Hotel and Conference Center
Ranked #4 of 7 Hotels in Essington
Reviewed 18 March 2011

Comforter was covered in hair. Unknown if human or animal but does it really matter?! The other comforter had a stain on it. I balled it up and put it on the floor before I left for the day thinking they would exchange it. NOPE! The put it back on the bed UPSIDE DOWN! So, the stain was now underneath. Pathetic.

• Stayed: March 2011, travelled on business
1  Thank rugerman10
DJester, Manager at The Clarion Hotel and Conference Center, responded to this reviewResponded 17 August 2011

Thank you for writing this review about the Ramada Philadelphia Airport.

It is unfortunate that the room was not cleaned in a satisfactory manner and i am sorry about that. Please be assured that this issue has been brough to the attention of the houskeeping department head and since your stay we have revisted the methods and techniques that are used to ensure a cleam welcoming enviroment and we have seen an improvement in the level of care that our housepeekers express concerning our guest's.

We have started a $3.5 Million renovation that will bring new life to the hotel, including the exterior, lobby, restaurant and lounge and the soft goods and technology in the rooms. When the renovation is complete we hope that our guest's will see how much they mean to us and how the comments and concerns do have a drastic impact on the descisions we make in the improvement of the hotel and the service we provide

There are newer reviews for The Clarion Hotel and Conference Center

Reviewed 1 March 2011

My husband & I stayed here one night to catch an early flight and left our car parked for 13 days. The room was clean and the bed was comfortable. We ate in the onsite restaurant which was delicious and had a nice atmosphere. The hotel was beautiful. The hotel shuttle was on time to take us to the airport. And we simply called the hotel from the airport when our flight arrived to be picked up at the airport and transported to our car. Our car was safe in the unsecured lot. The hotel does offer a secure lot for an extra cost. Breakfast is not offered.

• Stayed: February 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank darcykim
Reviewed 16 February 2011

I'm a flight attendant and have stayed at many hotels and this one may be the worst! As soon as I got to my room the door was wide open and s o was the balcony door! My captain had to check the room to make sure that no one was in there.
We ate at the restaurant and the first officer paid with a debit card. Well, the waiter stole the numbers off the card and went on a shopping spree.
No only is this hotel gross but is poorly ran like most ramada.
TIP: Check for bed bugs as soon as you get in your hotel room by lifting up the sheets and checking around the edge of the mattress. This is were they hide

• Stayed: January 2011, travelled on business
3  Thank abankerd

I am very sorry that your stay with us was less then satisfactory.

It's been 2 years or so that we have been under contract with a major airline out of the Phialdelphia International Airport for crew accommodations and this is the first time something like this has happend. Rest assured that the proper depatment head was notified and has since rectified the situation that led up to your less than expected experience.

Please give us another chance to show you the level of comfort and service our guest's have come to expect from us.

Reviewed 28 January 2011

I was given a free room at this hotel from US Airways. The hotel is pretty old, vintage 1970's. The front desk has been updated with marble but that's it. I found a bed bug at 2 am and 3 blood spots on the sheet. According to dimensionguide.com bed bugs bite in threes. yuck. I wish I had taken a photo of the bug, but I thought it was just a small roach. When I left for the airport at 5 am, the front desk clerk was asleep at the desk leaned back in a chair with his mouth wide open.

• Stayed: January 2011, travelled on business
3  Thank totallytennis
Reviewed 8 October 2010

I have stayed at this hotel multiple times since my company does the booking, and each time I think maybe it will get better. The front desk staff are awful and rude unless you have an airline uniform on. Was given wrong information too many times to count. The hallways were lined with diryt trays of dishes, and dirty laundry when I checked in at 8PM. Made me sick to think that maybe they might be renting the rooms hourly. Rooms are adequate, and just barely acceptable at the cleaniness level. Hotel shuttle to and from the airport is frequent, but then again, if you are not a crew member, you may have to get off to allow the crew on...yes...it happened to me...twice in one night. And almost the next morning going to the airport, but I refused to get off. I asked at the front desk about transportation to Harrahs casino, whihc is 3 miles away, and was told, "yes, they provide shuttle, but just to walk down the lane to the shuttl eoffice to see if and when I could be taken." Luckily, I didn't do as she said, and asked the shuttle driver when he pulled up at the hotel. Next evening, when I decided to venture to the casino, called the shuttle, and was told to call back in a hour, they were too busy. Needless to say, I didn't.
The only upside of this hotel is the bar and restaurant.....decent food, at reasonable prices. I hat staying at this hotel, and woul dnot recommend to any of my co-workers.

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled on business
2  Thank Icanhear
Reviewed 18 August 2010

I stayed here for one night (August 16, 2010) while meeting a friend who was flying into PHL.

This hotel is where US Airways- the biggest carrier in and out of PHL—and several others, including my airline, have their crews overnight. As such I was able to get a deeply discounted travel industry rate for my stay.

** The Hotel / Location **
The location of this hotel is a bit of mixed bag. On one hand it’s very close to the airport itself- no more than :15 away by taxi/van/shuttle, however, on the other hand, aside from a few casual sit-down restaurants, there really is nothing walk-able in the immediate area.

If you have a car, then there are numerous eateries or other attractions not far. The hotel has made special arrangements with a few nearby restaurants for delivery if you like and these places all deliver to midnight or later on weekends.

** Lobby / Check-in **
Due to my late evening arrival (nearly 22:00), I had to call the hotel for their free shuttle. It runs on 15 intervals from 06:00 to 20:00, all other hours are “on-demand”.

When I spoke with the hotel, I was told where to wait outside curbside (zone 4) and asked for my name and a general self-description.

The van arrived no more than :10 after my call and the driver called me by name. My bags were courteously put into the rear baggage compartment and we left the airport.

A short :12 minute ride (I timed it) later, the van arrived, my bag was unloaded by the driver—a very pleasant lady-- and I walked into the lobby. I was checked in very quickly and assigned my room on the 6th floor. I was also given complimentary access to their “crew room".

The front desk staff did a few nice touches for me as well; they asked me if I was interested in that day’s newspaper or if I needed a walk-up call for the next morning. I decline the paper, but did ask for a 07:00 call.

Once nice thing is that the hotel has a direct live information feed from the PHL airport, so there is a flight information screen right in the lobby—synced with the airports' system, so you can see flight information in real-time.

** My Room **
My room was decorated rather plainly, with forest green carpet, two twin beds with nice yellow-gold bed covers. There was a small table with twin sitting chairs. The work desk was medium sized with good lighting and extra power outlets. The TV was the older style “tube” TV, but was more than sufficient with all local, national, premium movies and even a few euro-language channels.

There was a floor/wall-mounted air conditioner/heater combo which worked well, and when I did run it on high cool it really wasn’t very loud and I could sleep just fine with it on.

My room overlooked the main parking lot and there was a small balcony by not large enough for any furniture. There was a stocked coffee and tea set, a full sized folding ironing board and iron and shoe polish kit.

** Bathroom **
The bathroom was a touch small, but more than sufficient for one. Older style sink fixtures and a standard tub style shower. Water pressure more than ample and water ran hot nearly immediately.

The hotel provides a fair selection of lightly scented bath toiletries all branded from the San Francisco Soap Company.

I will say that to the hotels credit, my room and bathroom were spotlessly clean and well maintained without exception.

Hotel facilities and Amenities:
The hotel had several very large conference rooms, an outdoor heated pool (on the back side of the hotel) which is seasonal, a decent sized fitness room with machines and some free weights.

There is one main restaurant that serves all three sitting and one lounge. The menu isn’t inspiring, but features a fair range of food.

** SUMMARY **
This hotel is fundamentally an airport hotel and is geared to that line of clientele. You probably wouldn’t stay here if you were visiting the greater Philadelphia metro area for a few days, but if you are either flying into or out of the PHL airport and you need good, reliable, clean and reasonably priced overnight accommodations, this IS a great option for you.

The service from staff was excellent; the hotel itself is well maintained, secured and kept very clean. I’d have no issues either staying here again or recommending it to friends.

** PROS **
A very short distance from the airport and has free 24/7 scheduled shuttle service either on on-demand as needed. Hotel and faculties are geared to the business or traveling person.

** CONS **
This hotel is in a rather limited access area and if you don’t have a car or use other transport options, there is not much that is truly walkable from the hotel grounds.

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled solo
4  Thank GOPBI
Reviewed 29 June 2010

I stayed at this hotel the night before an early flight. The location is close to the airport with convenient park and fly facilities on site. The hotel staff was very friendly and helpful. The room was spacious, comfortable and clean. There is a restaurant and bar onsite so there is no need to even go out....everything you could want is all on site. Rodney, the parking shuttle driver to the airport was so friendly and engaging. I highly recommend this hotel as I would defiantly stay here again.

• Stayed: June 2010, travelled solo
2  Thank BethSeid
Also consider these accommodations in or near Essington
0.7 km away
0.4 km away
SpringHill Suites Philadelphia Airport/Ridley Park
0.5 km away
Red Roof PLUS+ Philadelphia Airport

Been to The Clarion Hotel and Conference Center? Share your experiences!