“I am glad it was only for one night”

The Clarion Hotel and Conference Center
Ranked #4 of 7 Hotels in Essington
Reviewed 14 November 2011

I was teaching at a conference held at this hotel and stayed for the night. Supposedly this is a 3 star hotel but I would disagree (especially compared to the really nice 3 star hotel I stayed at the next night in MD). Being near the airport I suspect the hotel gets heavy use and it is badly in need of a major refurbishment. The bathtub had mildew around the cracked caulking, the bar over the soap holder was gone, just 2 empty holes in the plastic shower surround, the drain was clogged and the bedspreads where stained (cleaned but old stains that did not fully come out). At the conference we had very loud and disruptive people in another room for a weigh-in in the evening and a very loud and enthusiatic power lifting event all day Saturday. On the positive side, the food from room service was decent, the staff was pleasant and if you need a hotel before flying from Philadelphia airport it is convenient.

Room Tip: rooms on the side away from the the highway are quieter
  • Stayed: November 2011, travelled on business
DJester, Manager at The Clarion Hotel and Conference Center, responded to this reviewResponded 5 December 2011

Thank you for writing a review.

I am sorry that your stay was unsatisfactory. We are currently in the middle of a $3.5 Million renovation to completely revamp our rooms to create a more welcoming and comfortable stay.

We are very sorry about the noisey group in the room next to yours. We tried to plan the other events away from your event to keep any disruptions to a minimum.

I hope that you will give us another chance to WOW you after our renovations are complete next October.

There are newer reviews for The Clarion Hotel and Conference Center

Reviewed 5 November 2011

The furnishings are basic, no problem. It's in a decent location. Problem is with sound. On one side of my room I hear cars driving by on the highway and people talking in the parking lot. On the other side I hear music from some local nightclub/lounge. Next time, I'd pay the extra bucks and stay in a Hampton Inn

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled as a couple
DJester, Manager at The Clarion Hotel and Conference Center, responded to this reviewResponded 9 December 2011

Thank you for writing a review about your stay.

I'm sorry that you had a problem with noise from the highway during your stay. We are currently working on a solution that may help with the noise in our $3.5 million renovation we started a few months.

Our renovation will correct a few problems with the room softgoods and technology. As well as giving the exterior and interior a new look and feel.

I hope that you will give us another chance to show you the best possible stay when the renovations are completed in November 2012.

Have a great day.

Reviewed 27 October 2011

Booked via stay 123 for a park and fly trip out of the country. Lobby is very nice, Got in late and just wanted a bed until 4 am. Front desk was very nice.

Room: Elevator up....elevator down......think i counted 126 up and downs before nodding off. All night we heard the noise from elevator shaft.....too tired to request a room change. Recently painted.... yes.....sorry to say...not a very good job at that. Paint peeling from outlet cover already that was painted over. They cost about .15 cents wholesale no? Could the stay 123 bookings get different rooms? Definitely not worth list price for these rooms.

Rudy the bus driver who picked us up at airport was rude and actually asked a guest who got on bus after wife and I to get off because he needed to pick up a couple flight crews. gosh....if a metro bus was full you'd wait until the next one arrived. What makes one guest better than another? I certainly hope this guest addressed this with management. so much for customer service!

If you are looking for no thrills room and you get a great price...go for it!

Room Tip: ask for away from elevator shaft maybe better luck!
  • Stayed: October 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank TerpsFan66

Thank you for your review.

I'm sorry that your stay with us was unsatisfactory. Your comment about the driver who picked you up from the airport has been sent to that department head so the issue can be brought to his attention.

The noise from the elevator is an unfortunately something that is difficult for us to address. But we are addressing the decor and technology in our $3.5 million renovation that was started this summer. The technology and softgood are being replaced or upgraded to make our rooms welcoming and cozy.

I hope that you will give us another chance to show you the highest level of service and satisfaction that our guests deserve. I would like to have you back after our renovations are completed in Novmeber 2012.

If there is anything i can do for you please contact me.

And have a great day.

Reviewed 12 October 2011

I stayed at the Ramada on October 7,2011 for two nights. I was there for a reunion. It was a large group of us. I think the hotel was very accommodating to us. Food for the banquet was delicious. Staff was extremely friendly. Latoya and another woman (did not get her name) at the front desk were very helpful. A couple of us checked out the hotel the day before our expected arrival (30 minutes drive from home). We were able to view the type of room we would be in. We requested that our room be next to each other, this was granted.

I found no real problems with my room. It was a basic hotel room with a balcony. The air conditioning was a little loud. The furniture could be up dated but it was still ok. The room was clean and the shower head was wonderful. Two sinks in the room was an added touch.

I think this is a good hotel to stay in near the airport before taking a fight. It looked like; one could leave his/her car on their grounds while away on vacation. I do not know for sure. I would not recommend it if visiting Philadelphia to sightsee, due to the distant from the city. It would also be a place to stay for a wedding, reunion or meeting.

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled with friends
DJester, Manager at The Clarion Hotel and Conference Center, responded to this reviewResponded 17 October 2011

Thank you for your review.

It's comments like yours that make all of the hard work worth it.

We know that the rooms could use a good touch-up. that's why we started a $3.5 Million renovation a few months ago. The exterior of the building is already weel under way and when the weather gets colder we will start on the interior.

With a new fountain in the lobby, an update Restaurant/Lounge area new soft goods and technology in the rooms we know that our guest's will see the effort and care that went into making this the best hotel possible.

We do have parking available for our guest's who are flying out. When you call just ask for a Park and Fly Package. We have 7 and 14day parking packages available that include secured parking.

While we are a bit farther from Philadelphia then some of the other hotels in the area. We know that our guest's like being able to get away from the city during their stay.

We hope that you stay with us again very soon.

Reviewed 27 September 2011

The Ramada Airport Hotel in Essington PA (only 30 minutes from central Philly) was very nice and very accommodating. We attended a Navy Reunion there Sept 21-25, 2011.

Only issue was the bar food and the service in the restaurant. Cook did not know how to make a Philly Cheesesteak! It was chopped meat, no cheese, peppers, etc. and served cold! Service in restaurant VERY SLOW and expensive!

Shuttle to hotel was fast and right on time.

CMRWI

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled with friends
DJester, Manager at The Clarion Hotel and Conference Center, responded to this reviewResponded 29 September 2011

Thank you for writing a review about us. It's important for us to know how our guest's feel about the services and amenities we offer.

I am sorry about the issue's you encountered in the restaurant and lounge. Your review will be forwarded to our Director of Food and Beverage and our Chef to have the proper action taken.

I am glad that you found our shuttle's so useful i will make sure that the entire department knows how much their hard work is appreciated.

I hope you give us another chance to WOW you with the best service possible in the restaurant and lounge. Please let me know the next time you are in the area and i will make sure that everything is ready for you.

Reviewed 25 September 2011

Nightmare. ! Smells like mold spores central. This is my second stay here this week & this room stinks too!

• Stayed: September 2011

Dear Guest,

We appreciate your feedback, and I'm sorry your stay wasn't to your satisfaction. Just a few months ago the Ramada started a $3.5 million renovation which will be completed in November of 2012. We will be updating both the exterior and interior of the bulding which we are really excited about! You mentioned your room had an odor. Did you notifiy the front desk to give us the opportunity to rectify the situation? With Hurricane Irene passing through recently, we experienced some water damage which may have caused the odor.

Again, we appreciate your feedback and we hope in the future you will give us another chance to prove Ramada can live up to your expectations.

Reviewed 22 September 2011

“ Absolutely by far, the worst hotel I have ever stayed in.

During our 10 night stay at this disgusting hotel, my sister and I stayed in two rooms (447 & 422) : Damp rooms, Filthy rooms, Smelly rooms, Stained bed linen, Toenails on carpets, Broken sinks, Dripping water pipes, Blocked bath, No hot water, Chipped and damaged bedroom furniture, Dirty stains on bedroom chairs, Broken coffee maker, Exposed electrical wires,. Workmen next door (449) hammering and banging all day long, Work tools left on balcony, Mattresses left to dry on balconies, Filthy pool and pool area. Self service to sun loungers and furniture as no assistance.
To get to the other side of the road, you have to "RUN" accross a very busy freeway, absolutely NOT safe for children.

I would NOT recommend this hotel to anyone. Avoid this hotel at all costs...!!

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled with family
DJester, Manager at The Clarion Hotel and Conference Center, responded to this reviewResponded 23 September 2011

Thank you for writing a review.

Upon reviewing our records i noticed that as soon as we were informed about the condition of your room (447) we immediately moved you to another room on the 4th floor (422). Those issues from your original room were immediately brought to the attention of the Director of Housekeeping to be addressed.

The issue's you encountered were unusual for us, and the condition of the room was not in compliance with the rigorous standards we have in place. Measure's have been taken to ensure that all of our guest rooms are now in compliance.

Unfortunately as you stated, there was a bit of noise due to our efforts to minimize possible damages from hurricane Irene. Even with the pre-emptive measure we took there were some repairs we had to make. While it was something that we had no control over, we did everything possible to make sure that the inconvienience's our guest's faced during that time were kept at a minimum.

I appologize if there were any issue's during your stay that we did not immediately rectify, But considering the situation it was diffucult to keep all of our guest's as satisfied as we would have preferred. Since then additions to the service standards have been implimented for situations like the one's mentioned above to ensure that the highest levels of service are mainatined.

Our pool is very popular with our guest’s. We do have rotating attendants when the pool is open to help our guest’s with any need they may have. Did you ask at the Front Desk for assistance? They are able to contact the pool attendants in case they are in the kitchen retrieving an order from the poolside menu. We do not have many cleanliness issue’s reported to us about the pool, but as soon as we learn about them they are immediately addressed.

You mentioned the there were exposed electrical wires, without further information we are unable to determine if the exposed wire’s were in your room, or if they were in a public area of the hotel. Our maintanance staff is ever vigilent when it comes to the saftey of our guest's and the condition of the hotel. Our safety committee meets monthly to ensure that our safety policies and procedures are enforced and updated.

You are correct. We are right next to a major road for the area that can be diffucult to cross at times. We do offer complimentary transportation, when available. When our transporation is unavailable, we use the services of many cab companies to get our guest’s safely to their intended destinations.

I would like to let you know that we have started a $3.5 million renovation that will address varies issues that have been brought to our attention regard the overall condition of the sleeping rooms. All of the soft good, technology and fixtures are going to get a completely new look and feel.

We hope that you give us another chance, hopefully under better circumstances, the next time you are in the area to prove just how accommodating we are.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Essington
0.7 km away
0.4 km away
SpringHill Suites Philadelphia Airport/Ridley Park
0.5 km away
Red Roof PLUS+ Philadelphia Airport

Been to The Clarion Hotel and Conference Center? Share your experiences!