“Consistent Marriott quality - my regular choice in Exton” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Residence Inn Philadelphia Great Valley/Exton

Residence Inn Philadelphia Great Valley/Exton
Ranked #5 of 8 Hotels in Exton
Costa Mesa, California
“Consistent Marriott quality - my regular choice in Exton”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 July 2011

I've been traveling to the area regularly for over seven years and have tried a number of hotels. The Exton Residence Inn has become my top choice because of its reliable quality and location. There is nothing spectacular about it, but the rooms are large, nice and clean, and I have never had a bad experience there. The breakfast is always reliable, and when I arrive late at night, I can walk next door to the UNO restaurant and get a decent meal.

• Stayed May 2011, travelled on business
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (30)
colorado
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 June 2011

We stayed at this hotel for a 3 nights in June. The front desk staff were great, so friendly and helpful. The breakfasts were great. Everything from waffle and oatmeal bar to bagels and muffins. You didn't go away hungry. The coffee was out all day for guests and always tasted fresh. We each had 2-3 cups a day. We ended up getting a 1 bedroom suite which was great with kids. Each room had their own TV which was nice at night when we all wanted different shws. You are also really close to a Red Robin and Uno's for easy family dinners nearby. We would definitely consider staying here again on our trips back East if the price was right.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled with family
Boston, MA
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 April 2011

Stayed here for 2 nights while visiting family outside of Philadelphia. We had a one bedroom, suite that was perfect for my husband, myself and our 4 year old. The Residence Inns are great places to stay if you're traveling with children. You can put the kids to bed, shut the door and the grown ups can watch some tv and relax. It's also so convenient and budget friendly to hae a full kitchen in the room. We could keep drinks, snacks with us and weren't forced to go out for every meal. They also serve breakfast every morning in the lobby which is so convenient. I wouldn't say it's the best quality - but it's great to get a bite to eat, a cup of coffee for free - without leaving the hotel.

We used the pool and hot tub while we were there. Great fun for the kids when there is some downtime. The hotel is really convenient - right off of I-76.

The only downside I have to mention was that there were families traveling with their pets. And it's tough to tell a dog to quiet down at 2:30am. Or an infant for that matter! So be warned that if it's a busy night, you may have some noisy neighbors that cannot help it. We called the front desk at midnight because we were convinced there was a party on top of us. Turned out it was a dog who was pacing the floor late at night. The staff was more than accommodating and responsive to our requests.

We were thrilled with our stay and felt very at home. This isn't the place where you'll see amazing interior design or eat high end cuisine. But you'll get a good night sleep and relax well. We'll definitely be back when we have visits with family.

• Stayed April 2011, travelled with family
Chicago, Illinois
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 April 2011

This place was fine, but very basic -- I've certainly stayed in better Residence Inn properties, although I experienced no particular problems with this one.

My room (a one-bedroom suite) had the standard Residence Inn decor and features. The bedding wasn't dirty, but it needed to be replaced. The hotel was upgrading its TVs to flat screen HD TVs during my visit, so it was nice to see an investment being made in upgrading the property.

The kitchen in the room needed to be re-stocked -- some of the spoons, etc. could be replaced. There was no can opener. I called the front desk to see if I could borrow a can opener, and the front desk staff member seemed completely baffled (and sort of annoyed) by this request. He said that he would investigate and call back. He never did. That drives me crazy -- if you don't have a can opener, fine, but if you are going to promise to call back and give the guest an answer, then do it!

Breakfast was pretty bad, honestly. I've had far better breakfast experiences (quality of food, warmth of food, service, etc.) at other Residence Inn properties and Homewood Suites properties. Exercise room was also pretty depressing -- could certainly use an upgrade.

Overall, I wasn't expecting anything fancy here and while the hotel met my basic expectations, it did nothing to exceed them. As business brings me back to the area, I won't reject this hotel, but I'll certainly look at other options, too, before rebooking.

• Stayed March 2011, travelled on business
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank brmusicman
Pittsburgh, PA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 April 2011

My teenage son and I stayed here one night, along with the rest of his team, to play in a local tournament. We got a bit of a discount since we, as a team, had booked a block of rooms. Wauna (not sure if that spelling is correct) was just as kind and friendly as can be! I recognized her voice as the one who actually took my reservation over the phone some weeks before. The only complaint I have is that it was extremely difficult to get into the place from the road! Check-in was efficient and fast, despite a number of us showing up all at once, sweaty and tired. :) There is a Chicago Pizza Uno (sorry if I'm a little off on the name) just across the parking lot, but son and I weren't in the mood for pizza. Fortunately, there was a Hoss Steakhouse right next door. We stayed in a room with 1 king bed and a pull-out. The room was very, very spacious and had a complete kitchen. We didn't need it, but it was very nice. There was a coffee maker in the room and even a bag of microwave popcorn! We also had a nice large-screen TV. The indoor pool was nice but small (they usually are) and son was too tired for that, so we just relaxed and watched a movie. I should mention that we didn't use the elevator. Our room was on the second floor right at the top of the steps, so we didn't need it. We had another game on Sunday, so we hit the free breakfast when they opened at 7:00. (The breakfast is earlier on weekdays.) The quantity as well as quality of the food exceeded our expectations. Everything was well-prepared, hot and delicious! Even the staff we met in the breakfast area was so nice and friendly. They went out of their way to make sure we had everything we needed. Our team will be returning to the area and due to the frequency of our travel, they were looking to book us in a hotel nearby whose rates are a little lower. I may just stay here again to avoid being disappointed somewhere else!

• Stayed April 2011, travelled with family
Syracuse, New York
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 March 2011

I've now stayed at both the Fairfield Inn and the Residence inn in Exton. When I say this is the best Marriott choice it’s kind of sad. I stayed here for three weeks for work. Upon arrival the check-in staff was friendly and professional each time. They greeted me with a smile, notified me of meal times, etc. That's where the honeymoon ends. I stayed in two types of rooms, the studio and the 2 bedroom suite. The rooms are average in regards to furnishings. They definitely are starting to look beat up and dated. The TVs are so old that the picture is dark from overuse and there is no way to turn up or adjust the brightness. Making them essentially useless. A call to the front desk yielded a "sorry they are all a little old". The main issue I had here was cleanliness. I had days where my room was never cleaned and days where they didn't change sheets. I had to call to the front desk when I got back to my room and the delivered sheets for me to do myself. Once, OK it happens, no big deal. But three times in three weeks? That I have an issue with. I'd also recommend staying on the top floor if you can. I was stuck one of the weeks on a lower floor and could here my neighbor above me every time they took a step.

As for the food this is both a strong point and a weak point. The breakfast is one of the best I've had. The menu is always rotated and there is an excellent selection to choose from. The staff is very helpful offering you to go containers, trays, etc. The dinner is poor to say the least. I know it will vary from location to location but I expect a complete dinner. Here their idea of a complete dinner is a cheese and pepperoni tray. Seriously? Other nights were just as lacking compared to other locations. The good news is there is an Uno's that delivers right across the parking lot.

I'll recommend this hotel but ONLY because there are no better Marriott options close by.

• Stayed March 2011, travelled on business
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank WorldTraverler73
South Carolina
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 July 2010

Not inexpensive at $117/per night but a good place to spread out because it's a suite. One major disappointment was a tiny, overly warm exercise room with inoperative tv / piped in music equipment. Also very warm with inoperative temp adjustment and no blind on sunny over size window in work out room. Another disappointment was a staffer who enthusiastically asked us to "join them for complimentary dinner" catered by a local restaurant called Bonefish. The "dinner" turned out to be a few small plastic bowls of fish-like foods which I could not identify. Better for the staff to call it snacks. We opted out, as did several others, after a brief glance and walked to a place across the parking lot which was noisy because of all the little kids but where we could at least order something we recognized. Residence Inn could have done better with its food and with its exercise room. If you are going to do something do it right.

• Stayed July 2010, travelled as a couple
Thank RobtNorthCaroli... A
Also consider these accommodations in or near Exton
0.3 km away
0.2 km away
Fairfield Inn Philadelphia Great Valley/Exton
10.8 km away
Residence Inn Philadelphia Great Valley/Malvern

Been to Residence Inn Philadelphia Great Valley/Exton? Share your experiences!