“Great spa get away”

The Lodge at Woodloch
Ranked #1 of 7 Hotels in Hawley
Reviewed 8 March 2012

Loved, absolutely loved, the Lodge. From the moment we arrived, we were totally pampered and taken care of. My daughter and I had the mother-daughter package, which was lovely. We purchased the massages, etc. ala carte, however, which ended up being pricey. So check into the inclusive versus the ala carte in terms of spa services as to which would be more economical.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled with family
woodlochlodge, Manager at The Lodge at Woodloch, responded to this reviewResponded 9 March 2012

Dear jswedek,

We appreciate your recent feedback! I am glad to hear that you loved your Lodge experience - being pampered and totally taken care of is our mission for your time here. The Mother-Daughter package is very popular, as it offers a 30% discount to Mom (or if split between the two of you, a 15% discount each). For other readers, I would like to clarify the difference between choosing your treatments on an a la Carte basis versus our Complete Spa Plan, which has a spa allowance built into it. Every package here is based on a per person, per night price, and includes your accommodations, 3 gourmet meals daily, use of all spa and fitness facilities, access to classes and outdoor activities, as well as special programs and presenters. The Complete Spa Plan also includes a $120 spa allowance per person, per night of your stay. If you plan to have a treatment each day you are here, the Complete Spa Plan is a better value, as it has an approximate 15% discount on treatments built into it. I hope that this is helpful for you on future visits. We look forward to welcoming you back in the near future!

There are newer reviews for The Lodge at Woodloch

Reviewed 8 March 2012

I cannot stop thinking about how great this place is. What an incredible concept. The people are great and the place is incredibly charming (especially the rooms, the library, and the fireplaces). I was with my girlfriend (who has been several times) and I must say it was one of the best weekends in recent memory. We stayed from Friday afternoon until Monday afternoon. I highly suggest trying a stone massage! The dining staff was excellent despite being very young (Mallory was a sweetheart and very patient with handling my requests, kudos to management), the check in crew was just as great, and the Fitness / Activity instructors were awesome. My favorite's were Paula (thank you for being so informative and so focused on teaching the class) and Blake (ball room dancing was incredible).

My only critique is of the food (average to good), specifically dinner. The salads were very bare and plain. I ordered one salad with blue cheese and remember asking for more (cheese) since the portion was so small. The server returned and said they were out which could not have been true? The portion could not have been more that 1 / 8 of an ounce. In addition, the sauce with most of my entrees lacked solid flavor (excluding the pork chop - by far the best dish of the weekend). Would I dare to say the reduction for the filet mignon had "gravy master" in it? The curry sauce for the shrimp entree had a very weak / light flavor and the shrimp didn't look or taste fresh. I had the same feeling for the salmon preparation and the dumpling like dish (cant remember the name) - they all lacked zing. The pizza was giant mountain of cheese where it did not sit well afterwards. The risotto was an incredibly small portion (even for an appetizer), could have used some more Parmesan cheese and salt I enjoyed breakfast and the soups at the lunch buffet along with the lunch buffet wraps.

Thank You Staff and Crew for a wonderful time.

Mike Moran

Room Tip: All rooms are comfortable and charming.
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple
woodlochlodge, Manager at The Lodge at Woodloch, responded to this reviewResponded 10 March 2012

Dear mike m,

It is great to hear that you can't stop thinking about The Lodge at Woodloch! Thank you for taking the time to write about your recent stay. I will be sure to pass your feedback along to Mallory, Paula, Blake and the rest of our staff. We appreciate your feedback regarding the food as well. I have talked with our Chef and will certainly take your comments into consideration; I am sorry for any miscommunication on our end about ordering extra cheese with your salad - that should not have been a problem at all, and we apologize. If you are able to stay with us again, please let me know...it would be great to have you meet with our Executive Chef while you are here and we can address any concerns that you may have had in person. We certainly want you to enjoy your next experience with us even more! Thank you again; we look forward to welcoming you back.

Reviewed 8 March 2012

This was my 2nd 2-night visit to Woodloch in 4 months. Both times were a wonderful experience. The staff are all extremely friendly. The water retreat areas are clean and tended to throughout the day. The classes offer a great range of activities from relaxing to invigorating. Watercolor class was great both times; I now have a matching set of winter scenes! Maryann was great for power napping and Aqua Toning. Also enjoyed Zumba, Drums Alive, Water Yoga and Meditation. I've had a massage, facial and Rosemary Awakening...all were excellent treatments...RA was worth ever $. The food is excellent. The moment you enter the Lodge your vacation begins...actually, I felt relaxed already as I pulled up and was welcomed outside by the valet.

Looking forward to my next trip!

PS - the Whisper Room is a great feature. Note to couples: it's not a room to go into to talk in a whisper and discuss all the renovations to your home, life issues, etc. It's a quiet place. If you need to talk, then please whisper. I was in there and couples were having full conversations, attempting (but failing) to whisper.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled with friends

Dear Krista N,

Thank you for your recent review. It is a pleasure to hear that you were able to visit us twice in 4 months, and that both experiences were wonderful. From the classes, to the service, our gourmet spa cuisine, and all of the spa offerings, it sounds like you were able to experience a bit of everything that we offer. Thank you for commenting on your experience out front with our valet staff...our goal is that from the moment you step out of your car, you don't have to worry about a single thing! In addition, your feedback on the Whisper Lounge is helpful - we have designed it as a peaceful, quiet retreat from the rest of our property, and will monitor this more closely so that it remains as such. We look forward to welcoming you back to The Lodge at Woodloch!

Reviewed 7 March 2012

We been in a lot of places and we were very happy and satisfied with choosing Woodloch from choices of spas what we have in tri state area. I would say 100% we are coming back. We stay for three nights and loved every minute of it. Thank you for good service.
P.S Only one small -, price of alcohol a little stiff and variety of deserts have room to improve.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 5 March 2012

If you have never been to a destination spa you will like this place, but it does not compare to other dest. spas such as LaCosta, Red Door, even Norwich Inn. 18% service charge on the entire bill is ridiculous - besides meals & bell staff, what is all the extra for, the owners it seems. Meals are ok but they do not tell you that you can order from the menu and use the buffet - menu only items are sparse. Front desk staff neutral rather than wecoming, turn down should include amore generous amenity. Spa area could have better and more variety of snacks. Oerall opinionis theyare too cost conscious when the rates plus fee are high so i expect more.

Room Tip: Suites have living room, nice for a small group
  • Stayed: August 2011, travelled with friends
4  Thank aobedm
woodlochlodge, Manager at The Lodge at Woodloch, responded to this reviewResponded 7 March 2012

Dear aobedm,

Thank you for your review. I am sorry that you were unhappy with certain elements of your stay, and we will certainly take your feedback into consideration as we move forward. Your review indicates that you stayed with us in August of 2011. If that is true, I would like to point out that we have made some changes since then and have increased our focus on service, food quality and turndown service, as these are key elements of the guest experience. As always, I would also welcome any chance you have to reach out and speak to me in person about your concerns. Regarding the service charge of 18%, this does cover gratuities for Bell/Valet, Housekeeping (service twice daily) and Tree Restaurant staff (no tipping expected in person), as well as lodge amenities and services including wireless internet, valet parking, daily newspapers, coffee & tea, and snacks/fruit throughout the property.Our goal is that once you are here, you can relax and enjoy your time, rather than worrying about extra incidental charges you may incur along the way. Many guests have commented that not feeling any pressure to tip while they are enjoying a relaxing getaway is a big plus. I hope that this helps to explain why we impose a service charge, and that you have a better understanding of what that service charge covers during your stay. Thank you for taking the time to write about your experience, and please do contact me if you have any additional questions. Thank you for choosing to stay with us at The Lodge at Woodloch.

Reviewed 5 March 2012

Just spent a wonderful 2 days at this outstanding place. Everything was great. We enjoyed the outdoor hot tub (amazing with snow all around us) and indoor waterfall very much. Service in the spa, classes, and dining room was outstanding. We did order a cheese and fruit plate delivered to our room. There was no fruit (some nuts and raisins were scattered over the plate under the cheese) and the plate was delivered without any knives or plates. My daughter went to the dining room to get knives and plates for us. Other than this everything and everyone was fantastic. We will be back in the spring.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled with family

Dear queenb4090,

Thank you for taking the time to write about your recent stay with us. I am pleased to hear that you enjoyed our facilities and our staff. The outdoor hot tub is perfect in the winter! I would like to apologize for the cheese and fruit plate not being delivered as ordered, and without knives and plates. This is an oversight that should not have occurred, and our Food and Beverage management team has been made aware. We appreciate you bringing it to our attention. Thank you for choosing to stay with us, and we look forward to seeing you in the Spring.

Reviewed 5 March 2012

We were celebrating out anniversary and had considered numerous vacation options most of them included a beach and warm weather. We decided due to a number of factors to stay within driving rage from our home and we are glad we did. In every way the Woodloch was a very special place.

As soon as my husband and I pulled up to the gate we knew it was going to be a great stay. The rooms were clean and cozy, the bathroom was gorgeous and accommodated the two of us perfectly. The resort spared no expense in the way it treated it's guests, there was always a selection of high end tea's and coffee available as well as healthy snacks.

We did take advantage of the many classes the resort offered, my husband and I loved the Yoga and Meditation classes and Spinning was a blast. We also were able to schedule a couples massage which was very relaxing. I would say that one area the resort could improve would be to have the spa concierge give consultations or maybe a class you could attend that would go into more depth about the treatment options. We were interested in more but found that the spa concierge was not very helpful.

The food was outstanding, it was healthy yet indulgent. We were never hungry and always had a variety of gourmet food options at every meal. The wine selection was superb, it was defiantly worth it to purchase a bottle ($35 and up) vs. paying the $15 for a glass.

Overall there was a sense of peace that you get when you are here, it was really a great experience and we can't wait to go back!

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank queenb4090
Also consider these accommodations in or near Hawley
36.0 km away
Cove Haven Resort
#1 of 2 in Lakeville
2.2 km away
Woodloch Pines Resort

Been to The Lodge at Woodloch? Share your experiences!