“The Lodge is a good alternative to Canyon Ranch”

The Lodge at Woodloch
Ranked #1 of 7 Hotels in Hawley
Reviewed 29 November 2012

My family spent 3 nights at the Lodge over Thansgiving for what was meant to be a relaxing time away from home. The Lodge delivered exactly what we were looking for. This facility, which has only 56 rooms, is a sanctuary away from the hustle and bustle of everyday life. My 17 year old son remarked that he couldn't believe how quiet it was at the lodge. We felt the food at the restaurant was very good. We never had a meal that was disappointing, and the portions are appropriate for spa cuisine. With regard to comparing this resort to Canyon ranch there are certainly a few differences. Canyon ranch offers medical counseling. You can have blood work done as well as other medical tests. You can then consult with health care professionals who can advise you about the findings, and then come up with ways to improve your health. Canyon ranch also works with people who are overweight or have addiction problems. The Lodge does not offer services of that nature. The Lodge has a very nice spa, an adequate gym, and a variety of fitness, Yoga, and Meditation classes. The Lodge offeres healthy food, and excellent service in a serene tranquil setting and their staff is well trained, attentive, and service oriented. There are guest speakers during the evening hours, and classes on cooking, and painting given during the day. We also enjoyed some biking and hiking with guides from the lodge. Canyon ranch also offers similar facilities and services, however, their value added benefits will cost you more money. The Lodge is a great place to quiet one's mind and enjoy some respite from everyday life. If you are looking to train for the Olympics or looking for one on one consultations for medical issues, Canyon Ranch may be a better choice. If you're looking to just recharge your batteries this may be a better alternative.

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled with family
3  Thank gumdoc45
Write a ReviewReviews (1,214)

Reviewed 26 November 2012

My husband and I had a nice weekend stay at the Lodge at Woodloch, but it could have been better. I tend to agree with the review by frequenttravellar that the place generally lacks charisma and attention to detail. Starting with the positives, we thought the food was consistently good, the indoor pool really nice and the outdoor jacuzzi and fire pit were a really nice touch. Our room was fine (again, like the place as a whole, not great, but sufficient). There are several very pleasant rooms with fires where we could sit and read the paper, which we enjoyed. My husband had a massage, which he said was fantastic and one of the best he has every had.

But on the bad side, my main problem was that it wasn't what I had hoped for with respect to fitness. If you are in good shape and are going for a fitness weekend, you may want to think twice. It seemed like fitness was an afterthought for them -- the gym is mediocre and the classes are not particularly challenging and there aren't enough of them or enough variety. Some instructors just seemed to be dialing it in (but Paula was good). I go to fitness spas to be pushed out of a rut or pushed to the next level and I was not particularly challenged, tired, sore or pushed to my limits (and I am 49 and took a lot of classes), so I was disappointed. I may have taken classes that are too easy, but they do not provide good descriptions of the classes and there is no way to tell whether they are for beginners, intermediate or advanced. At Canyon Ranch, every fitness class is assigned a level, so that you can pick the one that fits your fitness level and goals. The Lodge at Woodloch's apparent "one size fits all" fitness approach doesn't work when you have many people of different ages and fitness levels.
My other issues with the Lodge are small, but they are things that did bother me and may bother others:
1) the water stations (which they call juice stations but really just have water), were not good for people who were working out a lot (reinforcing my overall feeling that fitness is an afterthought at the Lodge). There is no ice, no sports drink, juice, iced tea, etc. It's hard to keep your water cold when the only ice machine is in the basement, very far from the gym. I had to keep tossing out my water and refilling. If they had an ice machine, you could just fill it once and keep it cold until it's finished. Also, what they call "snacks" are just a bowl of unsalted nuts and a few apples, and we were very hungry in the interval between lunch and dinner;
2) in the spa, the pedicure stations are ridiculous -- if you are shorter than about 5'7" tall, don't get a pedicure because it is super uncomfortable. The pedicure stations are nice to look at but designed very poorly. The seat is a fixed banquet that does not move, so if your feet don't reach, you have to prop a ton of pillows behind you and sit there with terrible posture. It was not relaxing;
3) dinner service was ridiculously formal. It is a spa and people go there to relax. A formal dinner service is out of place and even faux pretentious. Canyon Ranch costs twice as much as the Lodge at Woodloch and dinner is not a formal service with waiters descending on you from all directions as though you were eating at a 5-star NYC restaurant. For some reason, this bothered me a lot. Probably because it was so unnecesary and affected.

2  Thank JR111NY
Jamie F, Manager at The Lodge at Woodloch, responded to this reviewResponded 28 November 2012

Dear JR11NY,

Thank you for taking the time to write about your recent stay with us. It is nice to hear that you enjoyed our cuisine, as well as the pools, and the outdoor fire circle that we light every evening. I am also glad that your husband found his massage to be one of the best he has ever had! I am sorry to hear of your dissapointment with our fitness facilities and programming, however, as well as some of the other concerns you have mentioned. While we don't promote ourselves as solely a fitness spa, we take fitness very seriously, and I will be sure to pass your feedback along to our Fitness Manager. We certainly want to make sure that guests are well aware of the fitness level for each class that they take. Also, while we do have cold water available at all times in the lounge area outside of the gym, your idea of adding an ice machine is a great one that we will consider. On a final note, I would like to emphasize for other readers that dinner in Tree Restaurant is casual with regard to dress, but we do have well trained staff that are friendly and extremely accommodating. I am sorry if you felt that the team service was too formal - we certainly don't intend to be overly formal or stuffy in any way. Thank you again for writing about your time here at The Lodge at Woodloch. If there is any way that I can be of further assistance, please don't hesitate to contact me directly.

Reviewed 25 November 2012

We had a short 24 hour stay, but Wow!! What a magnificent place!! Beautiful surroundings, outstanding food and service, the spa is to die for!! We will return for a longer stay very soon!! Book this place and you'll never regret!!!!!

• Stayed: November 2012
Reviewed 20 November 2012

My boyfriend and I stayed at the Lodge at Woodloch for his birthday and had an amazing experience. The spa, food, activities and service were absolutely impeccable. We left there feeling completely relaxed and peaceful. We would definitely recommend this resort to others!

Reviewed 17 November 2012

From the moment my daughter and I entered the security gate at the spa we knew this was going to be a very pleasant few days. The staff was exceptionally friendly and very willing to accomodate us. The Lodge itself was absolutely beautiful. It was immaculate. The rooms were spacious and the dining room was tastefully decorated. We were so pleased with the quality of the menu and our meals were delicious. We were there to de-stress and that is what we did. I have been to several spas in the past, and I do have to say that the services at this spa were right on top. We loved it and will try to return next year.

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 12 November 2012

Ah, the amazing Lodge at Woodloch. The service, cleanliness, attention to detail, food, classes etc. cannot be beat. Everything, from check in on, is spot-on. As a return guest, we were greeted with a "welcome back." We jumped in right away, with a 10am class, and just kept going. From class to water therapy to spa to napping in the glorious Whisper Lounge our time just flew. The yoga is terrific--Alicia and Maryanne specifically. The spa services were also great--ask for massage therapist Michael. The food, the food, the food!! Everything is excellent. You should know, the portions are small--certainly not what we're used to in most restaurants, but are COMPLETELY satisfying. The walking trails surrounding the beautiful property seem to have been expanded. Be on the lookout for deer families. If there are negatives, be aware that the place is a ghost town after 9pm. It would be nice to have some type of evening activity available (candlelight yoga perhaps?) It's also not for the faint of heart when it comes to the pocketbook. Expensive but worth it. Go and enjoy!

Room Tip: We prefer a room on level 2, which is just a stroll from the restaurant/spa.