“Was hoping for more .”
Review of Halfway House

Halfway House
Ranked #46 of 66 Restaurants in Honesdale
Reviewed 22 August 2017

When we heard The Halfway House was under new ownership, we were optimistic that it would be an improvement over the old tired establishment that had been here for many years. Our first impression was excitement seeing the beautiful new bar they had built in the front room. I was sort of surprised that only one man was seated there with no one else (not even a bartender) around. We were warmly greeted and told to sit wherever we wanted which was fine considering there was only one other table being served. The menu was very simple , basic and quite limited. I was expecting a bit more since the new owners are the same couple that owned The White Owl Steak House, which is quite a nice nearby establishment. I ordered hot wings and my wife ordered chicken strips. Wings were tasty but not as crispy as I would have liked. My wife's chicken strips, though a nice large portion, were pretty much tasteless and dry. French Fries were hot and crispy. We waited quite a while to get drink refills as our waiter were too busy getting ready to close rather than checking on our table. I was able to flag down a different waitress for drink refills which she supplied along with a little bit of annoyance and impatience. I would hate to see how she handles customer request if/when this restaurant is busy. I will give the new Halfway House the benefit of the doubt and give them another try in the future, but I must say my first impression was not what I had hoped.

Reviewed 11 August 2017

I was upset when the White Owl changed ownership, and thrilled when they purchased the Halfway House. The food consists of simple meals cooked well. I never know what I'll eat, because so many of the choices are very good. When in doubt, I have a hamburger with a side salad. The burger is large and juicy. Yum!

Reviewed 2 August 2017

The dinner and service was good. Dinner tasty and King Crab Legs were yummy....the only complaint was that the food was a little on the cold side.

Reviewed 8 July 2017

After hearing the "White Owl" owner had purchased the Halfway House we decided to try it with a party of 10. I doubt any of the ten will ever go back. The service was dismal to say the least. After 10 or 15 minutes the drink orders were finally taken. One drink finally arrived wrong, with others following in single file {I assume trays are not available}. Two manhattans arrived in wine glasses made with bourbon which was not specified. After a while the bread arrived with the salads. One person sent his meal back being cold which then came back half hot and half cold. A prime rib ordered extra well done came medium rare. All in all, much remedial work is required here.

Reviewed 5 July 2017

We've always enjoyed the Halfway. Recently new owners took over, and put in a beautiful bar area. The menu is varied and good, the service was very nice and attentive. The wings were still the same great appetizer. But our main meals were overcooked. I had the chicken parmesan hero; was one of my favorites, but this time the ends of the chicken pieces were hard. The roll was just a soggy roll. We asked for the burger medium rare and it came out well done. The lady sitting behind us asked for the same thing, got well done and sent it back. It wasn't too busy, so the chef needs to pay more attention to not over cooking the food. Otherwise, good.