All reviews hot water attached cafe central location clean rooms no natural light the open air restaurant nice room nice rooftop huevos rancheros reception staff breakfast burrito couple nights two blocks breakfast was included in town felt very safe sjds
Reviewed June 2, 2018

Very clean, helpfull staff, modern with great bar, aircon, wifi. It had all I needed. Great location in the center ut also quiet for sleep and close to the beach. Unfortunatelly I was leaving very early, i did not have the breakfast but I believe was great as all the rest. I appreciate the chill out zone on the top with view and hammocks.

Date of stay: May 2018
  • Trip type: Travelled solo
Reviewed April 2, 2018

I staid for 2 nights at this hotel and everything went well.
Much more comfort than what I'm usually used to as a backpacker, I really liked he vibe, decoration and cleanliness.
Its location couldn't be more ideal

Reviewed March 16, 2018

The beds were super comfortable and the AC working was a huge plus as it's like 38 degrees Celsius (SUPER hot). You won't find AC or hot shower water like this in 99% of San Juan hotels. The location is right in the centre of town and lots of restaurants within walking distance. The front desk staff and servers (especially Alex!) are so friendly and sweet. Make sure you brush up on your Spanish beforehand, but you'll get by with English-only if you have to. The only downside here is that the area is loud at night with drums/partying on the streets once in a while, and/or the music of the main restaurant starting around 7am.

Would definitely stay here again!

Room tip: Ask to be on the upper floor, otherwise your windows overlook the restaurant
  • Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Reviewed March 8, 2018

I went to San Juan del Sur with a buddy who's looking to possibly retire there. He booked us each a room at the Barrio Cafe Hotel, units #1 and #2, just steps away from the open-air restaurant and bar, where we were welcomed time after time over 8 days. The rooms are small, but comfortable and very clean. In fact, the entire property is always spotless. The staff is terrific, the food is great, and the intersection is intoxicating. We'd grab a Tona beer, a shot of Flor de Cana 7 yr old rum, and sit and watch as the world unfolded in front of us: surfers, Nicas, ex-pats, vendors pushing bicycle carts with fresh mangos, cashews, and fruit, cars, bikes, motorcycles, horse carts, street performers, and people shopping the nearby bazaar or going to the convenience store across the street. It never got old and we met new friends there often. The Barrio is two blocks from the beach and in a perfect central location. The hotel also assisted with transportation from MGA, about a 3 hour drive. I never could coax any hot water from the bathroom sink, but the waterfall shower had plenty. The toilet is positioned very close to the wall, but it was a small inconvenience. There's a safe in the room, but the rooms felt very safe. The beds were comfortable. The coffee is probably the best you'll find in town, made one cup at a time. The city itself has a wonderful, welcoming charm and the weather is perfect. We're both going back.

Room tip: Go for units 1 or 2 on the first floor or get 1 of the 2 rooms on the 2nd floor with a balcony overlooking the intersection.
Date of stay: February 2018
  • Trip type: Travelled with friends
1  Thank wdfalvey
Reviewed March 5, 2018

We stayed at Barrio Cafe Hotel and loved it. The rooms were super clean, the service is great and location is perfect. The breakfast that came with our stay was amazing. Maybe the best huevos rancheros that I have ever had. My daughter had the pancakes, and it could have fed 2 people. The service in the restaurant was great, and servers bilingual. The shower in the room was amazing. The only drawback can be the noise at night, but that is the price for staying downtown. I will stay there again.

Room tip: Ask far a room upstairs.
  • Trip type: Travelled with family