All reviews afternoon tea beautiful hotel outdoor pool coach house scones bar menu high standard attentive staff old house exclusive use country house walled garden fine dining overnight stay wedding party beautiful grounds attention to detail
Reviewed October 29, 2018

On driving into the hotel, the hotel and grounds look beautiful. The trees around the hotel are quite magnificent so good first impressions. Check in went smoothly, nice friendly reception staff. We stayed in one of the basic double rooms in the main house and I was surprised by how nice it was. Lovely and spacious, well decorated, fabulously comfy bed, quiet and felt quite luxurious.
We had pre dinner drinks in the bar at the front of the hotel whilst choosing from the Al la Carte menu for dinner. The bar is decorated nicely but the seating and tables look cheap and not at all cosy and inviting hence the atmosphere is rather cold. We were shown to our table in the main restaurant, passing by lovely little private dining rooms which looked very inviting. It’s a shame the main restaurant hasn’t the same atmosphere. Again, it needs a makeover to bring a bit of warmth and atmosphere to the room. I asked the waiter if there was any music to mask the deathly silence in the room and he assured us the music was playing and pointed to two little speakers at the far end. Obviously their sound system needs a makeover too! Our starters and main courses arrived promptly and were pleasant enough but the portion sizes were so tiny it reminded me of “nouveau cuisine” days from the eighties! Ridiculously small and not worth the money charged. Dessert however was much better.
After a good night’s sleep breakfast was served in the same room and staff were thin on the ground. My husband asked for porridge followed by a full English breakfast. The porridge never materialised and after a very long wait the full English arrived so we gave up on the porridge. On check out there was no one at the desk so after ringing the bell three times, I found my bill after sifting through the bills left on the desk top until eventually someone turned up.
So, I loved certain aspects of this hotel but other areas let it down. Would I stay here again? Yes if it was in the summer to use the lovely pool and grounds but I would eat elsewhere. Otherwise I think not.

• Stayed: October 2018, travelled as a couple
4  Thank Ally T
BeechfieldHouse, Owner at Beechfield House, responded to this reviewResponded 3 weeks ago

Thank you for your feedback.

Reviewed October 20, 2018

The location, setting and service were simply perfect. The staff was attentive, courteous and ever so accommodating. We received exceptional recommendation on what to do in the local area and it only enhanced out visit. Recommend an early walk about around the complex and go visit the lambs in the rear of the property. A wonderful trip and first class stay. HIGHLY recommended.

Room Tip: Rooms are sizable over night bag or a large bag is easily accommodated. Heated pool nice surprise.
  • Stayed: September 2018, travelled with family
BeechfieldHouse, Owner at Beechfield House, responded to this reviewResponded October 22, 2018

How wonderful - thank you for such a glowing review!

Reviewed October 17, 2018

I have stayed at Beechfield a few times whilst on business. The staff are very helpful and friendly. There is always parking, good wifi connection, rooms are of a good standard and contain what you need (iron, safe, robes etc), and the beds are really comfy. The outdoor pool in Summer is lovely, and as a solo traveller I feel very safe. Typically I have room service - the burgers are fantastic, and the breakfast is good.

• Stayed: October 2018, travelled on business
BeechfieldHouse, Owner at Beechfield House, responded to this reviewResponded October 20, 2018

Thank you very much - wonderful to hear.

Reviewed October 15, 2018

My 72 Mum, who lives in the South East decided to visit my family I for the weekend. As we live just outside Melksham, she chose the Beechfield House Hotel as it is near our family home. She decided to pay the additional booking fee which would enable her to cancel as long as she gave 2 days notice. Some 48 hours before she was due to drive down, she damaged her arm and decided it would be too difficult to make the journey. She called the hotel at 3.25pm but was told she was 1.25 hours over the cancellation time limit and therefore would be charged for 1 nights stay! She has subsequently checked her bank account and £215 has indeed been taken out.
I appreciate late cancellations are a common occurrence when running a hotel but surely a bit of common sense should prevail here.
Just to make you aware, she is having an operation on her arm later this week!!!

Room Tip: Check the small print
  • Stayed: October 2018, travelled with family
3  Thank Mike H

Always very disappointing to learn of an issue first on TripAdvisor. It's a shame you didn't make contact personally. Clearly your comments do need clarifying:
Our terms and conditions are not small print - they are quite clear and like any business are there to protect both sides. As late cancellations cost us the opportunity to sell our rooms due to no fault of our own we strongly advise all our guests to have travel insurance. It’s your choice of course however it hardly seems fair to then complain when you are caught out by your own lack of care. Perhaps worth comparing - If you had arrived for a flight 1.5 hours late would you also expect a refund? I'm not sure why it would be different for a hotel booking?

Reviewed October 13, 2018 via mobile

Myself and my wife got married at Beechfield house last October, been a rather busy year hence the late review.

We found the Venue online as it was dog friendly and we wanted our little Frenchie to be part of our special day.
When we first visited Beechfield House back in Feb 2017 to kick off our Wedding plans we instantly fell in love, the traditional and stylish decor ticked all of our boxes and the staff couldn't have been more friendly and welcoming.
Gaelle in particular helped us with the detailed stuff and really made our lives simple. We got exactly what we were looking for, even if it was slightly untraditional, its not every day the ring bearer is a little French Bulldog called Fredrik.
She gave us recommendations for bands, DJ's, Flowers, photographers and everything else to give us plenty of choice.

The day itself was incredible, we had the place to ourselves and didn't have to worry about a thing, Gaelle had it covered, we simply enjoyed the 5 star food and let the prosecco flow.

We really can't thank Gaelle and the rest of the staff at Beechfield House enough for making our special day the best day of our lives.

Further more we are returning to Beechfield House to mark our 1st Wedding Anniversary.

An incredible place, great staff, incredible food, dog friendly and can't wait to go back :-)

Stayed: November 2017, travelled as a couple

What a lovely review - thank you so much. We're all so delighted you had such a brilliant day. Thank you.