All reviews beautiful village four poster bed pie english village pretty village the pub century building cream tea sunday lunch lovely lunch scones poached eggs old building duck an evening meal charming hotel waiting staff
Reviewed September 29, 2015

The Castle Inn Hotel is situated in the prettiest village in England in an area of outstanding beauty and this truly was an outstanding hotel in every aspect. We cannot praise the hotel staff enough for their unstinting cheerfulness. We were made to feel welcome and comfortable. The room was really beautiful, clean and comfortable with lovely crisp linen on the bed - although you wouldn't want to be too tall for room 9! The food was incredible - every single dish my husband and I had over a three day visit was delicious and that includes starters, main courses, deserts and even breakfast! We had a wonderful relaxing visit and would definitely recommend this hotel to all our friends.

Room Tip: Room 9 is at the top with an apex ceiling - very quiet!
  • Stayed: September 2015, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Sarah B
Reviewed September 27, 2015

Beautiful historic hotel in an outstanding location. We stayed as a group for a family celebration and from checking in until leaving the staff could not do enough for us. The rooms are all individual and very comfortable. Breakfast cooked to order and very good. We hired the oak room for the family meal and everyone's food was cooked well and really tasty. Looking forward to returning!

• Stayed: September 2015, travelled with family
Reviewed September 21, 2015

From the first point of contact with the hotel regarding our booking, everything was faultless. The welcome was warm, the staff professional, the room beautiful, the evening meal excellent, breakfast good and we thoroughly enjoyed our stay.
Castle Combe itself is beautiful and the sun even shone for us.
All excellent, thank you.
The follow up email thanking us for our stay was a nice touch too :)

Room Tip: The rooms at the back have rooftop views and noise from the fans from the kitchen but they switched off at 10.30pm so not a problem.
  • Stayed: September 2015, travelled as a couple
Reviewed September 19, 2015

Spent 1 night in Castle Inn on 31st Aug because we planned to stop by Castle combe and it is one of the 2 hotels right in town centre. I have read good reviews from other guests and even a friend, turned out WE ARE VERY DISAPPOINTED about this hotel because of below FACTS and reasons:

1. POOR check in and reception attitude on arrival: there was only another 2 guests waiting for check in when i arrived, when another staff finally passed by all he said to me immediately was to tell me to wait for his colleague to come back after settling in those 2 guests before me, which i totally understood but i was hoping at least a hello or hi before he was in such a rush to explain himself that he WONT be able to help. Not the kind of service attitude or way of welcome you would expect from a place who charged you for USD 230 per Night for a regular double bed room.... I hate to say it but of all sorts of hotels i've stayed from luxurious hotel like InterContinental / Grand Hyatt / Shangri-La, to budget hotel like Holiday Inn Express or Premier Inn, this hotel (Castle Inn) definitely ranks the worst and Premier Inn's staff attitude and service definitely goes WAY BETTER THANK CASTLE INN's! So time for this management team to reflect and improve before they keep disappointing others or someone when a Premier Inn opens in Castle Combe they will be the 1st to be kicked out of business because of their arrogant attitude when treating their guest.
Anyway, i waited for over 20mins before someone finally had time to do my check in, key was passed to me and thats pretty much all the welcome i've got from them. Cannot imagine how they handle peak season with this kind of efficiency, again, this should be evaluated by their management team who properly isn't even aware how their operations staff are doing.

2. POOR Housekeeping - after we got into the room, as i walked into bath room to get ready for bathing my toddler girl, i also noticed there was ONLY 1 bath towel hanging on the towel rack, and thats all! It surprised me again when you charge people that kind of room rate you should at least provide 2 bath towels, thats basic hotel 101.... anyway, i wasn't going to waste another 20 mins or more to find someone from the hotel, and we were lucky to bring our own bath towels for my daughter anyway, so me and my husband just share the bath towel for a night thats all. HOWEVER, 1 day after i checked out, i got this email from Castle Inn to tell me that TOWELS IN THE ROOM ARE MISSING! They said 2 hand towels, 2 bath towels and 1 bath mat were missing and they will need to charge me if i am unable to return them!!!! That really offended me because these people who are supposed to do their housekeeping job properly by supplying correct amount of towels for each guest before check in, and because their own staff did not do a proper job then they immediately associated all these mistakes to their guests! Do you job properly, Castle Inn team! I wrote them back by telling them how disappointing they are and told them to do housekeeping count check with each guest in future if that helps them to do their job properly! After that i then got an apology letter from their Manager to tell me that those silly towels won't be charged on me!

3. POOR room facility such as kettle: that was the worst kettle i had ever come across with any hotels / B&B / serviced apartment in U.K. and i travel to U.K. almost every year! I recalled briefly Castle Inn's kettle inside our room was one with some brand name, but once you opened it you would be dead shocked! Well at least I was! there was full of white color glue sticky stuff!!! I really meant FULL of them inside the kettle! It was soooooo disgusting that I dare not to use to boil any water for us and not to mention for my daughter! I had to bring our own thermo bottle to breakfast or dinner and asked for hot water so i can prepare formula milk for my kid. That again, is TOTALLY UNACCEPTABLE for a place who charge you USD 230 per night on a Monday night!

4. WRONG dinner bill being charged on my room bill when checked out!!! Do check your bill carefully when you check out from Castle Inn because I have no idea how they can mess up my room bill with somebody else's dinner bill added on!!! Luckily I checked mine and told them at that point no way there would be dinner bill on me because the night before I PAID CASH FOR DINNER AND STILL HAD MY OWN RECEIPT WITH ME! The lady was still a bit hesitated and luckily i managed to show her receipt at once so she agreed to revise the bill immediately! It was a very low level mistake and if you cannot handle meal bills with room bills, don't accept guests to do it so other guests won't be suffered from this type of low level maths mistake.

overall, we were not welcome / farewell professionally at this hotel upon arrival or departure, car parking was tricky because you had to use Manor House Hotel's car park which you need to walk like 5 mins and come thro its back gate to reach back to Castle Inn. In room facilities are poor quality and poorly managed.

Will NOT Recommend for families with BABIES OR TODDLERS because the rooms are so small, we asked for a cot for my daughter and we ended up not using it cos it was full of holes and looks dirty. WE WILL NEVER STAY IN THIS HOTEL AND WILL MAKE SURE OUR FRIENDS AND FAMILIES NOT TO STAY WITH THEM NEITHER~~~~

Next time we would rather book somewhere not right in town centre as we always drive anyway.

• Stayed: August 2015, travelled with family
4  Thank YY417
Reviewed September 17, 2015

We stopped here for lunch, hotel surroundings are stunning as is the hotel itself. The food was first class, very good menu and all our food was delicious, its was of a very high standard. The staff here are very well trained, polite, smartly dresssed and very attentive to everyone's needs. Well worth a visit to this gorgeous little village, there are pictures on the walls of hotel of films that were partly filmed in the area, very interesting. Take a walk around the village too its very quaint,

• Stayed: September 2015, travelled with family