“Exquisite steak”

Ranked #4 of 82 Restaurants in Devizes
Cuisines: Contemporary, British
Good for: Romantic, Special Occasion Dining, Local cuisine
Dining options: After-hours, Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Reservations
Description: As the original Bistro in Devizes (established 2003) we pride ourselves on being true to the original concept - that is a small, family run establishment (usually with a chef owner) providing a menu that often features slow cooked, seasonal dishes. The setting is traditional in that it is informal, relaxed and cosy. However, we are known for food that 'tickles the tastebuds', is influenced by a range of cuisines and always has The Bistro 'twist" to it. Open both at lunch time and in the evening, we have the distinction of also running a cookery school, now known as Vaughan's Cookery School and operating from another location in the town. Committed to sharing a passion for good food, Chef Peter Vaughan is a member of the Royal Academy of Culinary Arts and of the Slow Food Movement.
Reviewed June 8, 2018

We've eaten here twice recently and on both occasions had the most delicious steak - amongst the best we've ever eaten. We shared a mezze plate to start which was all freshly made and exceptionally yummy. We finished with a sublime champagne jelly and a perfectly balanced cheese board. The only reservation I have about giving this place a clear 10 out of 10 is that it will become increasingly difficult to get a table here .... A very well deserved excellent reputation.

1  Thank Bee T

Reviewed June 6, 2018 via mobile

This bistro is tucked away down a side road. I managed to get 2 hours of free parking close by near the Devizes bookshop.

It's a small cosy restaurant with views out to the side street so I agree with one of the previous reviewers to get a window seat. It felt very 'unchain' like, which is terrific.

As a vegetarian this was probably one of the best meals I have had in years. I had the mezze. I don't know what the crunchy bread type thing was but it was covered in herbs and was amazing.

I had a cup of tea afterwards instead of a pud. That is my only area to build on; proper china cups rather than white catering cups and something sweet on the side (a chocolate or something) and tea bags from say Pukka Herbs or somewhere else who does organic teas.

I don't know whether you can block the restaurant out for a birthday because that's what I would like to do for my birthday.

My friend asked what I wanted to eat the next day for lunch and I said 'to go back' but he wouldn't let me go back for a second round.

Highly recommend.

3  Thank Catherine_London
Reviewed May 20, 2018

We had an thoroughly enjoyable evening the Bistro . The food was excellent and the staff were friendly and professional . I would not hesitate to recommend this place.

1  Thank michaelgellsmore
Reviewed May 11, 2018

My wife and I were on a day trip to Devizes, primarily to do a Brewery Visit. We had been given ample time for lunch and we checked out a number of places for this. The Bistro is tucked away down a busy side street and we immediately felt it was somewhere different. So many menus these days carry about an 80% duplication of available choices but here there were refreshing alternatives.

We both settled for similar choices, the Breton crêpe for a main course and lemon tart for dessert. We were given a free choice of where to sit so we chose the window table. This was possibly the best table in the place and I recommend it as there is plenty of interest to see outside. We both thoroughly enjoyed both courses although people with larger appetites than ourselves might have felt that there wasn't a lot of food on the plate - maybe not enough to justify the £15 for two courses price tag. I felt it was worth it just to have something different.

5  Thank DoctorBrian2013
Reviewed April 13, 2018 via mobile

Myself and my girlfriend had always wanted to visit The Bistro and we were not disappointed. The staff had impeccable knowledge of the food and wine which were both delicious!

Would recommend to everyone!

2  Thank tobypullen1