“Weekend away”

Ranked #4 of 82 Restaurants in Devizes
Cuisines: Contemporary, British
Good for: Romantic, Local cuisine, Special Occasion Dining
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, After-hours, Reservations
Description: As the original Bistro in Devizes (established 2003) we pride ourselves on being true to the original concept - that is a small, family run establishment (usually with a chef owner) providing a menu that often features slow cooked, seasonal dishes. The setting is traditional in that it is informal, relaxed and cosy. However, we are known for food that 'tickles the tastebuds', is influenced by a range of cuisines and always has The Bistro 'twist" to it. Open both at lunch time and in the evening, we have the distinction of also running a cookery school, now known as Vaughan's Cookery School and operating from another location in the town. Committed to sharing a passion for good food, Chef Peter Vaughan is a member of the Royal Academy of Culinary Arts and of the Slow Food Movement.
Reviewed June 24, 2018

Good location. Service very good. It was a Parisian based menu. Good choice. Delicious flavours and portion sizes good.

Reviewed June 16, 2018

Booked in advance and the chef had made preparations to cater for gluten free diet. Had a very nice meal, friendly and helpful staff who made us very welcome.

1  Thank delfino55
Reviewed June 8, 2018

We've eaten here twice recently and on both occasions had the most delicious steak - amongst the best we've ever eaten. We shared a mezze plate to start which was all freshly made and exceptionally yummy. We finished with a sublime champagne jelly and a perfectly balanced cheese board. The only reservation I have about giving this place a clear 10 out of 10 is that it will become increasingly difficult to get a table here .... A very well deserved excellent reputation.

1  Thank Bee T
Reviewed June 6, 2018 via mobile

This bistro is tucked away down a side road. I managed to get 2 hours of free parking close by near the Devizes bookshop.

It's a small cosy restaurant with views out to the side street so I agree with one of the previous reviewers to get a window seat. It felt very 'unchain' like, which is terrific.

As a vegetarian this was probably one of the best meals I have had in years. I had the mezze. I don't know what the crunchy bread type thing was but it was covered in herbs and was amazing.

I had a cup of tea afterwards instead of a pud. That is my only area to build on; proper china cups rather than white catering cups and something sweet on the side (a chocolate or something) and tea bags from say Pukka Herbs or somewhere else who does organic teas.

I don't know whether you can block the restaurant out for a birthday because that's what I would like to do for my birthday.

My friend asked what I wanted to eat the next day for lunch and I said 'to go back' but he wouldn't let me go back for a second round.

Highly recommend.

3  Thank Catherine_London
Reviewed May 20, 2018

We had an thoroughly enjoyable evening the Bistro . The food was excellent and the staff were friendly and professional . I would not hesitate to recommend this place.

1  Thank michaelgellsmore