“Great location and excellent food”
Review of The Barge Inn

The Barge Inn
Ranked #10 of 64 Restaurants in Melksham
Price range: US$7 - US$22
Cuisines: Contemporary
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Reservations
Description: A traditional English pub in a beautiful waterside setting with moorings for the barges. Great award winning Wadworth real ales on draught. Our team of skilled chefs' pride themselves in serving freshly prepared, great tasting dishes using fresh, local, seasonal produce. Whether you are eating in our beautiful garden enjoying the sun or inside enjoy the views in a relaxed environment, The Barge is a great place to visit.
Reviewed October 8, 2018

Visited twice for dinner while on a canal boat holiday. On both occasions we were warmly welcomed, including our dog, by the staff and found a comfortable table. The food was excellent. Very tasty and good value. Would highly recommend

AnthonyL3823, General Manager at The Barge Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 4 weeks ago

Hi Lynnie

Thank you for your review, we were all pleased to read that both your visits were excellent. Please do keep recommending us and we look forward to your next visit.

Reviewed October 8, 2018 via mobile

Not sure what’s happened to this place but the food & service has declined greatly! Such a shame, the place itself is gorgeous couldn’t ask for a nicer setting.

Come for Sunday lunch only to be told all that was left was vegetarian, so we went for that not ideal but looked nice on the menu, within a few minutes the waitress came back & said they’d now ran out of veggie.. so what were the other options? After traveling a while that day we were all hungry we decided to just have starters & puddings. Sadly won’t be back.

Hi
Thank you for your review, we are sorry your experience was not better for you. Our Sunday lunches are proving to be very popular and Sunday lunch is very busy and this provides small difficulties in predicting volume and our guest choices in what they choose to eat, however we and the kitchen team do always ensure that our Sunday roasts are all available until the earliest of 5 pm, I am sorry but i cannot remember a time since my arrival where we have run out before this time, however we do serve food until 8 pm on a Sunday and yes, sometimes we do run out of certain roasts between these times of 5 pm & 8pm. We do try to offer a choice and alleviate this problem we do offer on our Sunday menu an alternative 6 other main course including burger, fish & chips, prawn & crayfish salad and 2 vegetarian options etc.
I am sorry we couldn't provide a pleasant, more relaxing experience for you after travelling, we as a team do try to achieve this for all our guests and since my arrival here as manager we are constantly discussing and working towards this.

Regards

Reviewed October 7, 2018

The 3 stars are for the place, the food unfortunately doesn't match. I love the situation, ample car-parking, fabulous views,always busy and plenty of staff.
I had the slow roasted belly of pork, which was rather tough and very meagre portion. The plates were barely warm, plates should be hot! Food not hot either. An enormous Yorkshire pudding was filling most of the plate. In my opinion, Yorkshire pudding should only be served with Roast Beef. When a customer is paying a hefty £14 for a Sunday Roast one doesn't expect the main constituents of the plate to be carbohydrates, the cheapest ingredients of the meal and most filling!!! The profit margins must be extremely generous.
My partner paid the bill at the bar and experienced some rude behaviour from a male member of staff. Such a shame as I love the place.

Reviewed October 2, 2018 via mobile

After reading comments on trip advisor like you do, the comments I read on this pub be it negative or positive did not put us off giving it a try, well we had the roast on sunday at 4.30ish and it was excellent, both dishes, I asked for an extra yorkshire which was fine by them, I don’t expect it for nothing, dessert was lush, the previous afternoon I asked if I could buy some ice cubes and they offered me a bag full, I put £2.00 in the charity box for it, nice attentive staff and friendly smiles too. Yes it is a big and busy place but they seemed to cope very well, would happily go again if in the area.

AnthonyL3823, General Manager at The Barge Inn, responded to this reviewResponded October 6, 2018

Hello Andrew
Thank you for your fantastic review. It is our aim as a team that all our guests experience is as good as yours was and we are starting to adopt a "going the extra mile" attitude to ensure this. We are very pleased we achieved this for you.

Looking forward to your next visit when you are in the area

Reviewed October 2, 2018 via mobile

Well what can I say...
This place is higher priced but yet not higher standard.
The service
The food
The drinks
All things on offer are neither here nor there.
It's not bad but it's not great.
If you want an expensive standard pub meal this is the place but I think we're paying for the view

Hello

We as a team are sorry you felt our business was expensive or great or more to the point did not offer value for money. Having assessed the prices of comparative businesses in the local area, i believe our prices are very competitive, however we do try to justify them by employing a team of skilled chefs producing creative, freshly made dishes using seasonal produce from local suppliers, also as a team we try hard to offer an attentive, friendly, relaxed service style where our guests can enjoy their time with us. Yes our surroundings are very beautiful but we in no way just rely on that as we know today's guests expect more from us. I am sorry you felt our efforts in this still did not justify our prices and we as a team are constantly aiming to improve, so hopefully we will give us another try at some point and next time you will feel you received value for money.