Britannia Hotel Stockport
  • Breakfast included
  • Bar/Lounge
Wycliffe Hotel(Stockport)
1,538 results
See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed November 6, 2017

Upon check in and any other time we visited the reception desk we were greeted with amazing smiles and the staff couldn't do enough. However upon our advancement up to our room we felt like it was something from the shining. Communal areas were clean and tidy but lacked warmth and welcoming. Several times we overheard, unintentionally may I add, conversations from shady individuals about caseworkers, special detectives, drug sales and complaints of other rooms.
We arrived at our room, the entire hallway was stinking of smoke and marijuana. Entering our room, it was dull and dreary, however we were greeted by the erratic waving of a 2 foot long cobwebs hanging from the light that housed the carcass of a huge winged insect. We left him there instead of dusting him away. The net curtain was mouldy at the bottom, same goes for the shower curtain. Crumbs and hair littered the legs of the beds and around the skirting boards. The lamps were caked in months of dust and the telephone and remote were sticky and grime filled near the buttons. There were hairs stuck to the tiles in the bathroom and no shower gel in the public toilet style hand wash dispenser located in the shower. Considering it is winter, I would expect the duvets to be heavier but ours was not much thicker than the duvet covers itself, which was put on inside out and was barely enough to cover us both and even using the extra woollen blanket in the cupboard we were still cold. The room itself could have done with a good paint too. After having a shower it was difficult to stand being in the room with the lack of ventilation, hot, humid, sticky and damp.
The elevator was a nightmare in itself, weeks of dirty fingerprints, and muck, you would be afraid to touch anything and even chewing gum stuck all over the mirrors.
I've stayed in hotels run by the Britannia chain before but never have they been this bad, I wish I had looked at the reviews on trip advisor before booking but due to my previous experiences with the chain I didn't think it was necessary. I could have stayed in a more modern travel lodge or similar for the same price. The only good thing going for this hotel is it's staff. It's not fair that they have to deal with complaints from the lack of investment in the hotel.

Room Tip: We understood it was a budget room but we expected it to be clean. I dread to think what the cheaper rooms are like.
  • Stayed: November 2017, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Salems L
Reviewed November 5, 2017

Arrived on a cold late Friday night about 830pm easy to find on Sat nav car park at the back of hotel its a bit dark round there plenty of spaces not sure if there was good security saw a camera on enterance. Not a bad neighbour hood so seemed ok . Reception was unatended after a minute or so someone came out the office to welcome me nice friendly guy told me what I needed to know simple check in the rooms are better then the old style bar and corridior is a little dated but its clean the rooms are nice clean to a good standard everything you need in them iron and board kettle hair dryer bed firm good for me it was warm in the room i was in 77 no neighbours either side only above had a good sleep now i did see a few people outside smoking and i think they could be temporary long term residents but don't let that put you off if you get this hotel at a good price there was no issues with the residents only bad thing I can say is I think people smoke out the Windows in the past and the smell sticks to the curtains

Room Tip: 77 had no neighbours just store cupboards either side small double
  • Stayed: November 2017, travelled as a couple
Reviewed November 3, 2017

I always try to be positive in my reviews on tripadvisor but I am struggling with this one. It has a ca rpark and the location is good if you need to be in the Stockport area.
I was shocked to find in this day and age that this hotel had smoking rooms and to top it off, when booking online you don't get the option to choose whether you would like a smoking or non-smoking room. It was dirty and disgusting.
I'm sorry to say I would not recommend this hotel.

• Stayed: October 2017, travelled with friends
5  Thank Nicola W
Reviewed November 3, 2017 via mobile

My wife and I stayed for a long weekend... the hotel was great for the price the rooms were clean and cleans every day if required all the staff was friendly and most helpful...only issue was the steam room was not warmed up first thing Saturday morning .... However this would not put me off stay again.

Stayed: October 2017, travelled as a couple
Reviewed October 29, 2017 via mobile

Worst hotel I’ve ever stayed in!! Makes me feel sick at the thought of going back I had my young daughter with me (1 year old) and was the most filthy hotel I’ve ever stayed at never again tissue in the bin, rubbish under the bed, shower curtain hung up by a bit of tape gap in the window so it was freezing! Travel cot so fifth made me feel ill I had put my daughter in it!! Would never stay here again if someone paid me NOT for families !!!

Stayed: October 2017, travelled with family