All reviews coppa club clock tower jar of sweets fresh milk family suite coach house little touches car park lovely hotel main building great shower powerful shower comfortable bed wedding reception fantastic stay lovely room wedding party
Reviewed November 21, 2010

We drove through Reading looking for somewhere nice to eat and somehow we ended up in Sonning and at the Great House. The banner promised new "signature dishes from Head Chef Raymond Brenner".
We were game so we went in. The receptionist smiled and welcomed us. which made a pleasant change, and we were told we could go through to the restaurant when we liked.
I am so glad we came. The food was absolutely delicious and good value. My husband ordered the Fillet Steak, and it arrived perfectly cooked. We couldn't fault it and the service was excellent. At no time were we rushed or ignored by staff, they were attentive and courteous.
Once we had let that go down, I was greedy and had the Chocolate Raspberry mousse. It was heavenly. The bill wasn't shocking either. Considering the standard and portions it was great value.
We will definitely be returning on a regular basis (I keep dreaming of that mousse!!)

Date of stay: September 2010
  • Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Reviewed November 16, 2010

I love the older rooms with character (maybe not everyones taste, but there are modern rooms as well in the clockhouse). The location by the river Thames near Sonning lock s lovelly. Itsonly a short walk along the river through the woods to Thames Valley Park. The food in the hotel is great, with good variety both breakfast and dinner. I always like to stay here when working in the Reading area. The best feature is probably the staff, who do a tremendous job of making you feel welcome and comfortable.

Date of stay: November 2010
  • Trip type: Travelled on business
Reviewed September 2, 2010

My cousin visiting from Ozz invited my brother and his new wife, my sister any myself for a meal here brcause she loves the river and watching the boats. We arrived and had champagne in the garden which was really nice, then were told out table was ready. Firstly we order a bottle of Red wine, the waiter bought a completely different bottle and when asked why he said that they did not sell the one we choose from the wine list anymore!! Ok on to the food....my sister ordered the Streak and Mushroom pie with a puff pastry top...when it arrived no pastry!! we asked the waiter were was the top, he went back to the kitchen and the chef said that he had run out of pastry!!! Have you ever heard of a hotel kitchen running out of pastry? Why did they not tell us that this was not on the menu? It was also very very salty. My brother order a corn fedd chicken breast when that arrived we could not work out what dish it was, there was nothing on the menu like it!! My cousin had the liver and bacon with an onion gravey, when that arrived it was just three slivers of liver -when asked ere the bacon was we were told that it was in the gravey!!! My siser-in-law and I had the rack of Lamb, under cooked but ediable we had given up by this stage. We asked to see the chef but he would not come out of the kitchen. Sweets---Orange and Lemon Bread and Butter Pudding ummm no orange or lemon at all....they was only seven people in total in the resturant now I know why. If you want to have good food DO NOT GO HERE

Date of stay: August 2010
  • Trip type: Travelled with family
3  Thank Sally0510
Reviewed May 10, 2010

I just stopped in on my way up river with a few friends for a bottle of Champagne. I was told that they had run out of the house and I would have to settle for the more expensive Veuve which was not a big problem until on asking for another they had run out of that and I would now have to spend £60 on Bolinger. Whilst blowing money on Champagne might not gather much sympathy how any respectable establishment stock so little that they run out after only one bottle is ordered is beyond me. Additionally, that atttitude of the Manager was fairly poor and on discussion about a discount to the second bottle due to them having nothing else was pretty dismissive esentially saying to take it or go elsewhere. Sonning is not renowned for much in the way of amenities. It certainly looked like a place I would have liked to re-visit but it is expensive and I am not sure the client is the priority.

Date of stay: April 2010
  • Trip type: Travelled with friends
2  Thank DeaksMaidenhead
Reviewed March 19, 2010

Appearances form the outside can be very deceptive.
On entering the building you can immediately tell all is not well, the floor of the halls and stairs are filthy and stuck in the 1950's probably the last time they were decorated.
Only plus was that the room was warm, shower very noisy, wires haging out of walls in bathroom and crumbling stained walls. Room 17 avoid at all costs, traffic noise was an extra bonus.
We could not face breakfast exited as soon as we could.

Date of stay: March 2010