“Great Vegan Food! ”

Old School Vegetarian Restaurant
Ranked #10 of 403 Restaurants in Hounslow
Price range: US$13 - US$20
Description: New and exciting vegetarian restaurant just opened in West London, with a revolutionary vegetarian menu, with vegan and gluten free options, exclusive to Old School. Specialising in healthy and delicious vegetarian food, freshly cooked every day. Our vegetarian tasty treats are inspired by cuisines from food lovers across the world.
Reviewed April 21, 2017 via mobile

Great tasty food, swift friendly service, would definitely come again and recommend. Only thing I'd change is having a wholemeal bun option for the burgers.

Reviewed April 12, 2017

Went here a couple of weeks with family. Im not a vegetarian but wife is and she wanted to visit this place. They opened up early for us as it was the only time we could visit the restaurant before we moved on for a evening wedding party. We ordered mixture of starters, burgers and wraps. Food was nice especially the Satay skewers. They nearly tasted like the real thing!! Wasnt much atmosphere as we were the only ones in the restaurant but service was ok and would recommend a visit here.

Reviewed April 11, 2017 via mobile

I love going to places where I can order anything on the menu. Being an all vegetarian restaurant this was perfect. I got the Lebanon wrap. It was delicious. My husband loved his chorizo burger and my daughter was so happy to be able to order nuggets and fries. We topped it all off with a vegan mango shake and a vegan chocolate peanut butter shake. They were amazing. Will definitely be going back here whenever I get the chance.

Reviewed April 9, 2017 via mobile

I went with my family and I would say overall enjoyed the experience. The food we had was very good. My dish ( bean burger and chunky chips) I would go as far as to say was excellent! Service was good. Also prices are reasonable. Only negative is that atmosphere was a little lacking and there are some rough edges that need smoothening. My young son particularly liked the fact you could watch the airplanes from nearby Heathrow fly overhead! It's far from home for us but if we are passing again I would definitely go back.

Reviewed April 7, 2017

We had really high hopes for this place having read some really great reviews on here, and thought the bad reviews were most likely from people who just like to have a bit of a moan. It actually turned out to be worse than we could ever have imagined.

Three of us visited on Friday night at 7.30pm, the restaurant was not particularly busy but the service was fairly poor, but this was ok as the staff were very polite when they did get round to asking our order.

We ordered the vegan nuggets and the vegan satay for starters, and for mains two of the vegan chicken burgers and one of the 'don' wraps. The starters came out quickly and were nice, and cleared promptly for mains.

The mains arrived and looked great, but a few mouthfuls in, my fiancee (who is vegan for moral reasons) and our friend (who is vegan because has intolerance to dairy) inspected the cheese in the burger as it tasted a bit unusual and not like vegan cheese. The chef walked past and we asked whether it was definitely vegan cheese or normal cheese, and were told very plainly that it was in fact normal cheese. I explained this was an issue as we have two vegan diners with us, so they sent for a manager who apologised and said he would take the 2 non vegan dishes off the bill as a 'goodwill gesture'.

At this point I felt the need to explain that I didn't really think we should be having to pay for anything on the bill as the whole evening has been ruined and that it wasn't a case of serving someone a dish that wasn't very nice, then taking it off the menu, but giving two people food they cannot eat for moral and health reasons, which obviously has physical and mental repercussions. The manager was very apologetic and understanding, and agreed with me, but said he would need to speak to his partner.

His partner then came over to the table about 5 minutes later, and said he would take 10% off our bill. I explained this wasn't really acceptable in light of what has happened and was told 'we are not strictly a vegan restaurant, we are a vegan and veggie restaurant so its to be expected really isn't it'. I told him absolutely not, and that with this logic would he think it was acceptable to feed a vegan some meat in a restaurant that offers both meat and vegan options? He smirked at this remark and made a sarcastic reply, and then said 'well the rest of the food was fine wasn't it?'. I explained that it was totally irrelevant whether the starters were ok or not, and that he has inadvertently fed two customers food they cannot eat, therefore the whole meal has been a failure. He then argued that it was 'only the cheese' that wasn't vegan, as if that made it any better.

At this point I was rather tired of his sarcastic nonchalance and inability to see that he was totally in the wrong, and told him that in advertising himself as a vegan and vegetarian restaurant, he is saying that he is competent in serving vegan food, and has proven not to be and that the incident itself and the service has been highly unacceptable and if he wants to argue that, he is welcome to, but that is the reality. At this point he said 'I'm not going to argue, thats fine then' and walked away from the table, and we exited the restaurant.

Now I do understand these things can happen from time to time, and had we received a sincere apology and told to not worry about the rest of the bill, or been offered some drinks or desserts, or anything, we would have been understanding and would probably have gone back again, as the food that was ok was really good, which makes this all so much more frustrating. However, the attitude we were subjected to from the management showed they not only have no regard for their customers, but also no compassion or understanding of people's life choices and dietary needs, despite advertising their business on the basis of catering to vegan customers.

I have never experienced such poor customer service, or been faced with such an argumentative manager who seemed to think this wasn't an issue, and just couldn't understand why we were upset.

Nice food - when the orders are right, but customer service is non existent and for a restaurant that advertises as a vegan and veggie specialist, it absolutely does not deliver on any level.

6  Thank ruthdave