“First time back since the floods”

The Long Bar & Restaurant
Ranked #12 of 18 Restaurants in Boscastle
Price range: US$13 - US$52
Cuisines: British
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations
Description: Overlooking the harbour in the Cornish fishing village of Boscastle and surrounded by the beautiful North Cornwall coastline, the Wellington Hotel has been providing a warm welcome to its guests for many years. It is one of Cornwall’s oldest Coaching Inns and dates back to the 16th Century. Awarded 2 AA Rosettes and using local seasonal produce, The Long Bar and Restaurant offers modern British cuisine in a classic yet relaxed setting. Whether you want an informal meal in the bar or table service in the restaurant, there is plenty of superb dishes to choose from.
Reviewed October 28, 2017 via mobile

The last time I visited here was the night before the floods, a year to the day after my wife and I got engaged here.
Service in the bar was great and it was very similar to how we remembered it before the floods except we didn't have children then. I'm not sure whether to blame the Wellington Hotel for them or not.

Reviewed October 23, 2017 via mobile

Been to boscastle many times and been to 'the welly' on most visits. We had no reason not to visit this time, but now we wish we had stayed away as we endured one of the most awful dining experiences I can remember!
We made a point of going in early afternoon to reserve a table next to the fire where we thought we could settle our two dogs out of the way, no problem we were told!... Arrive early evening to be told they had given our table to another party and we were now sat at a table and the very far end of the restaurant?
We then waited 50 mins for our food even though the place was virtually empty due to storm 'brian' raging outside!
Of our four mains, two were mussels which were deemed way below par as too gritty! A complaint was made to the manager who agreed not to charge for one of the mains.
We ask for our bill and notice that an expensive bottle of red wine had somehow appeared! Back to the manager who agrees we didn't have any wine with our meals!
There is nothing I can recommend about this place! Stay well away!

1  Thank wolbanger
Jonathan S, Owner at The Long Bar & Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded November 1, 2017

I am sorry that you did not enjoy your latest visit. We have reviewed what happened over the evening. Firstly, we apologise over the mix up on tables and the wrong item on the bill. You reserved a table in our bar that sits six to eight people. We therefore offered you a great table for four for your party of four immediately adjacent to the table that you had reserved. After trying out a number of options, you decided to sit elsewhere at the back of the bar. Unfortunately, the changes in table resulted in another customer's glass rather than bottle of wine being posted incorrectly. As for the food, there was a delay as we were very busy in the restaurant and again we apologise for this. Very occassionally, muscles can be gritty through no fault of our chefs. We of course offered either a replacement or a refund. I understand that your fellow diners really enjoyed their food.

Reviewed October 21, 2017 via mobile

Popped up for tea and thoroughly enjoyed it. The staff were great and very approachable. The beef starter was nothing but inspired and a seriously good dish.
Portion sizing!!!!! When your food is that tasty you do not need to give over a massive part if your profit to fat tummies or even more criminal the dustbin. My wife had the terrine for starter which could have been halved and would have been ample. For mains she had fish and chips which was great. I had the fish cakes x 3 !!! Wow amazing and could really have done without the side portion/bucket of chips hahaha.
Well done guys great food just gutted I couldn't finish it

Reviewed August 25, 2017

I read the last review expressing surprise that it was only 11th. Now it's 10th. But I agree with the entiment of the previous reviewer. We both had fish and chips. It was excellent. The service was extremely prompt. I had a lovely pint of beer with mine. Boscastle is a popular picturesque tourist spot and no doubt the restaurants and cafes have high overheads to contend with, so although it was expensive. it was worthy of a rating of excellent.

Reviewed August 25, 2017 via mobile

Popped in on the off chance for a evening meal. Pleasantly surprised how friendly the staff was and nothing seemed to be trouble. Meal was excellent and good value for money. We're now planning on stay at the 16th century hotel it's all in with so looking forward to it...