“It is a very good FAMILY hotel but not cheap.”

Bedruthan Hotel & Spa
Ranked #2 of 3 Hotels in Mawgan Porth
Camborne
“It is a very good FAMILY hotel but not cheap.”
Reviewed 11 March 2012

I arranged a surprise 65th birthday celebration here for my husband with daughters our son-in law and grandchildren aged 4 and 10. The hotel staff were wonderfully helpful in "keeping the secret" but I was landed with a hefty bill. The view is beautiful. The rooms all spotless. We were allowed into our room before the designated 3.30 but at 10.25 the following day the room key is automatically "frozen". The food was good but I was not told that the "included" dinner had a price ceiling. We would not spend a week end at Bedruthan as a couple but if cost is not a concern this hotel is ideal for children. The outside of the building is horrible! (My husband and I live in Cornwall and there are hotels better suited to couples).

Room Tip: Sea view is essential. Open the glass doors wide and hear, see and smell the sea!
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled with family
JanieWhite, Front Office Manager at Bedruthan Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, 15 March 2012
Thanks for writing a review for your stay at the hotel, it’s great to hear that overall you had a great time with your family.

We try really hard to maintain our standards across our facilities and it’s great that you were able to get into your room early, we will always try to accommodate that. Where possible we try to have some flexibility with check out as well but ask that you speak to us about it directly.

I’m sorry to hear that you don’t feel the hotel would be suited to you as a couple, outside of the main school holidays we have some great activities and breaks running that are really well suited to couples and the hotel creates a comfortable adult environment whilst still keeping the facilities for families.

The Spa is a wonderful space and boasts great views over the beach, it’s even better when the sun is shining.

We will use your feedback positively so thanks again for leaving it.

Janie

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (381)
  • Slovak first
london
Reviewed 20 February 2012

Ive stayed at Bedruthen Steps three times now and have had three delightful experiences.
Instead of waxing lyricla Ill try to keep it brief, helpful and informative.

The rooms are spotlessly clean and very well decorated. Beds are very comfortable and theres a pillow selection.

The organic soaps/ shampoo bars smell amazingly lovely but not suitable for washing long hair, if like me you havent packed your own, ask at reception for some therapy shampoo but theres no conditioner - youve been warned!

When booking dont forget to ask for a view or like me youll be gazing out to the car park, but to be fair that didnt bother me as I was only in the room at night.

Others are right that the hotle has a cosmopolitan type style but it also is a little quirky and thats what I liked best, from the arabic style ladies near the bar to the button pictures, I soaked it all in, and photos will folllow, if I ever get round to a phone download!

The Bar and outside bar area are relaxing and spacious and there are family realxation and games room areas too, with a great roaring fire to warm you after a winter walk on the headlands. But yes as others have stated drinks are to be sipped at these prices. The bar man love love loves making cocktails so expect to be encouraged in that direction.

I found to be of an acceptable standard but I was not bowled over. Service though was both polite and friendly

Reception staff helpful and friendly, if theres something you need or are unhappy about tell them- theyd much rather try and help than have you unhappy.

Wifi - this is a problem - in all 3 rooms I had no access and very limited O2 signal for my phone, and could only access wifi in the area just outside the dining room, I think they should look at booster options as at these prices its expected to be available.

Pool and Spa
The pool is a bog standard hotel pool but the spa is a beauty in a small package and I spent several hours chilling here.

I havent visted in summer months but I could see a fantastic outside pool and childrens areas on the steps down to the beach.

Setting - the hotel from the car park is a concrete disappointment, but if you were arriving by boat into the bay, your first impression would be so different as this hotel is all about the facilities and beauty is certainly on the inside.

Ive walked down to the sandy coves and across the headland to the next hamlet and its a great refreshing day out.

All in all a beautiful place that makes an effort to give back to the planet with several eco policies in operation.

It isnt cheap, but sometimes instead of looking for the best price we should look for the best experience we can afford and just enjoy!
I hope your visit is as much fun as mine.

Local area is amazing but if you are in cornwall its worth checking out The eden project and gardens of heligan,

Room Tip: ask reception to recommend their best for your budget.
  • Stayed October 2011, travelled on business
4 Thank 1shamrock
JanieWhite, Front Office Manager at Bedruthan Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, 22 February 2012
Thank you for the feedback you have given us on your stay at the hotel. It’s great to hear that we have been able to look after you 3 times, we love welcoming our guests back so that we can get to know you better and understand how we can continue to develop what we offer so that we can enrich your holidays.

Your comments about cosmopolitan but quirky are lovely they very much describe the personality of the hotel and we strive to make sure that this is maintained across all of the facilities.

We will review your comments about Wifi to see if that can be improved as we understand that being connected has become more and more of a requirement as the digital developments progress.

We are very proud of location and we want very much to be a part of keeping the setting as it is and available to many generations to come which is why we have a focus on sustainability with green initiatives through the operation of the hotel and support for the local community.

I hope that we are able to welcome you back to hotel soon for your next visit.

Exeter, United Kingdom
Reviewed 19 February 2012

This hotel was recommended to me by a friend and i decided to book a weekend break and some treatments for my husbands birthday/xmas present. We have a 10 month old baby and wanted some of the luxury we enjoyed pre-baby but to include her.

We got exactly what we wanted!

The building is dated, but the hotel are very open about this on the website and on arrival. They're hardly going to knock it down and start again, one day it will be retro! The location more than makes up for this slight downfall. It is clear that there has been some real effort on the interior decor, there are clearly defined areas and it has a very modern touch. The family dining area is very practical and has an "ikea" feel to it. Our room was as expected and certainly matched the standard we have experienced in similar rated/cost hotels in the south west. Also, i LOVED the sofa's, you'll understand when you see them!

The food was great and clearly local produce. i can honestly say my halibut was cooked to perfection, and the buffet breakfast definitely hit the spot. The £30 allocation for dinner was a little confusing when it was first explained to us however it soon became apparent when we sat for dinner.

My husband enjoyed a few treatments in the spa and he had very positive feedback of the facilities and treatments. We used the indoor pool twice, the only negative i would give is that more mature guests use the pool at the same time as families and children, i think this is the only area where the child friendly element may cause friction, although there are clear signs explaining dedicated times when children are not to use the pool for the sake of others and i think a few older people could have been reminded of this rather than tut at the children.

I believe this to be a truly child friendly hotel and this is reflected by the amount of young guests. Meals for children were catered for very well and understandably available at separate times to allow for children to eat before bed whilst parents go for a more adult meal. There are many play areas to suit all ages, kids clubs, creche facilities, games room, dvds etc...although i did feel that a member of the creche/childcare team was trying a bit of hard-sell on us, even though we didnt need to put our daughter in childcare during our stay. Plenty of highchairs in the restaurant, small touches like yoghurts, pots of fruit, snacks, bibs, bowls, spoons that really help to make a trip with a baby go smoothly. We used the baby listening service that once explained to us on arrival was definitely suitable for us, i was concerned that it would be like others ive heard of where you have to keep calling your room number to check on your children but its not like that at all, the receptionist constantly listens in and issues you with a silent pager to alert you to any issue. We had originally booked a babysitter from the childcare team for the evening but this was not necessary and the hotel kindly did not charge us the cancellation fee when we explained that we felt the listening service would suit us better (saved us £50) even though they clearly say they charge if cancelled within 24 hours. My only suggestion would be to add a separating curtain in rooms with cots to eliminate parents disturbing their sleeping babies when settling them or returning from the restaurant, would've just made our evening run a little smoother.

The staff were all friendly and helpful, if slightly dishevelled in appearance, the uniform is a little questionable!

We didnt really have much time to enjoy the local area as it was a short break but it is clear that there is plenty of outdoor fun to be had and the views are spectacular!

I was surprised by the amount of reviews/guests who were appalled/shocked at the amount of children in this hotel. It is clear that this hotel is outwardly child friendly and as such, non-child friendly guests should stay elsewhere.

All in all we thoroughly enjoyed ourselves and i will recommend this hotel to any friends who have children.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled with family
Thanks for taking the time to post such a lovely review about your stay at the hotel. I am so pleased to hear that you enjoyed your stay and that you were able to enjoy some of the treats you used to before the little one arrived. We try very hard to make sure that we have a balanced mix between family fun and then some time and space for the adults to relax and enjoy themselves too.

We are really proud of the modern feel and look that we have created around the hotel and the new Food and Beverage areas bring these spaces into the same style. I’m really pleased that you enjoyed the food, the new allocation system is designed to offer guests more flexibility andw e are working on ways to explain and operate this in a more simple fashion, but I am pleased that you were able to see how it operated in practise.

We are very proud of being able to offer a great family holiday but we are also able to offer a great adult experience outside of the main school holidays with some great breaks and special offers.

I hope we can welcome you back soon.

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 17 February 2012

We have been to Bedruthan on six occasions because it is - and remains - an excellent family hotel for adults and children for all the reasons positive reviews state; great location, amazing views, fantastic service, wide range of facilities for kids, especially younger children, and for adults too. The building outside is fairly ugly (which the owners don't shy away from) and inside it's the opposite. Also the building design is what allows for the sea views at all levels.

The big issue is that there are some changes this year, particularly to the dining arrangements. This was not helped by the fact that there was no notice of this before we (and others) arrived for half term breaks. The hotel accept they have had teething problems but they were already making changes and were hampered by the fact that the opening of a new "fine dining" restaurant was delayed. If those complaining actually spoke to the management during their stay, they would have found this out and the genuine steps they were making to address any problems.

Whilst some of the food was a bit hit and miss this week and the service started out a bit chaotic, the quality is still high and the introduction of day time food as part of the price was very welcome, particularly for kids. Also, some of the "problems" were presentational such as how the menus were set out and were being reviewed as we left. The kids menu still needs improvement to provide for simpler choices in our view but again we found that if you asked for something different, you got it every time and without any fuss.

Any of these criticisms needs to be set against the context that our previous experience has been 100% perfect, except for the lack of day time food without paying more.

We would still recommend this hotel to anyone particularly those with smaller children and have only given 4 out of 5 due to the need to bed in the changes. If you have any doubts still, give the hotel a call.

Room Tip: Sea views are amazing. If you want quieter rooms go for the second floor and sea views (but this is...
3 Thank df_walthamstow
Thanks very much for such a honest and balanced review. I think you have summed up very well what our approach is from understanding that the external ‘look’ is not to everyone’s taste but that there is a very modern feel to the changes that we have made in 2012 to our food and beverage department.

We have learnt some very valuable lessons about communicating the changes that have taken place and we are well on the way to overcoming the teething problems that you experienced. The extremely supportive feedback we have received from our guest’s like yourself has enabled us to move very quickly on tweaking and improving the product and service.

We are very excited about what we are able to offer in 2012 in terms of all day dining and the flexibility of dining in either The Wild Café or Red Herring.

I hope that we can welcome you back to Bedruthan soon.

Bristol, United Kingdom
Reviewed 15 February 2012

Our room was great with a stunning view overlooking a beautiful bay and wide sandy beach. The staff bent over backwards to make our stay enjoyable. The food was delicious and excellent value. The restaurant serves fresh locally sourced food all day which was great as after all the beach activity our children were hungry at unpredictable times. There is endless activities for the kids and a tranquil spa with lovely views for adults only. Everyone left refreshed and happy. Thanks for a wonderful stay.

Room Tip: Paying a little extra for a sea view room is definitely worth it
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled with family
Thanks for such kind words, we are all delighted to hear that we were able to have such a positive impact on your family holiday, that is what we strive for everyday.

None of it would be possible without our caring team so it is so rewarding to see them being recognised.

We look forward to being able to see you again at the hotel.

cornwall
Reviewed 15 February 2012

My daughter, grandson (age 2) and I spent a night last weekend at this hotel. Everything was very good from the staff to the childrens play areas, the spa and the family bedroom.
The evening meal arrangements were terrible. We were shown into what can only be described as a temporary area with plastic tables and plastic fold up chairs and given a menu that consisted of burgers and pizza. Not anything like the sample menu shown on the web site. We were expecting fine dining in comfortable surroundings worthy of 4 stars. When I complained I was told the restaurant was being refurbished - but was not told this when I booked my stay. An agreement was reached on a price redudtion which was fair but as a special treat for my daughter the stay was spoilt. Check out the restaurent situation before you book.

Room Tip: Family rooms with sea view are roomy enough to sleep 4.
2 Thank angcorn
Thank you for your helpful feedback. I am glad to hear that you found the staff and facilities good at the hotel but I am sorry to discover the impression our new restaurant has had on you, but pleased you received swift recompense.

The contemporary feel of our Charles Eames retro designed chairs and tables may not be everyone’s ideal dining style but it is in-keeping with the design themes that run through the hotel. We understand this and fabric upholstered banquette seating and chair cushions have also arrived this week to accommodate different style choices and form part of the completed design.

Wild Café offers a wide range of contemporary Bistro dishes of a 4* standard; our menu did not make this clear for which I apologise. Our more elegant fish restaurant, Red Herring will be opening soon and our website is updated to this effect; we hope to tempt you back.

Brighton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 11 February 2012

Our two night and one day stay was amazing - we need to highlight the staff on reception, always smiling and chatty they were so friendly and helpful (especially Julia). The bedrooms were immaculate with very tasteful furnishings - lovely fluffy pillows and comfortable bed.
The meals improved as our stay progressed but to be fair their dining room had just opened that day so the problems experienced are only small.
Once again I need to highlight the staff in the dining room area - again certainly chosen for their charm and warmth and here we need to mention Barry - quite the entertainer!

Room Tip: You have to get a sea view
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled on business
2 Thank amabokkebokke
Thank you very much for your review and for your recognition of our staff, I will make sure that both Julia and Barry are aware of your comments I am sure that they will be delighted to hear that they have enhanced your stay with us.

I am so pleased to hear that you enjoyed your stay and we look forward to being able to welcome you back to Bedruthan in the future.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Mawgan Porth
25.4 km away
The Carlyon Bay
The Carlyon Bay
#1 of 9 in St Austell

Been to Bedruthan Hotel & Spa? Share your experiences!