“fantastic way to celebrate my birthday”
Review of Ship Inn

Ship Inn
Ranked #24 of 34 Mevagissey B&B and Inns
Reviewed 16 November 2011

Have just returned from a 3 day break at The Ship Inn Mevagissey and I can honestly say it was brilliant, everyone was so warm, friendly and welcoming, the food at The Ship was great and really good value and the meal we had at the Salamander was brilliant. Cant praise the staff at the Ship enough, we even got breakfast in bed because i was too chilled out to get up in the morning and they very kindly offered to bring it up to us in bed!! I want to go back as soon as possible and highly recommend anyone to go there!!

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 15 September 2011

Saw "Opium" here - great band. Problem is they filled the pub and there were simply not enough bar staff - one at one point. We'd have spent more, given the opportunity!

Stayed: September 2011, travelled with friends
Reviewed 12 September 2011

We went in for an evening meal and sat at a table.. There were no coasters on any of the tables for our glasses. We ordered our meals and picked up our cutlery, which was wrapped in damp paper napkins. There were no dry napkins available - even when we asked the staff. When our meals arrived we were disappointed with the presentation - cold plates, overloaded with white chips and stale salad. The cajun chicken was like cardboard covered in cajun seasoning, the rump steak was small, thin and stringy. There were no steak knives available. The home made gamon was a round piece of bacon ham which was overcooked, hard and dry. The final meal, of lemon sole, was a four by two inch rectangle of fish (could have been sole?) drowned in a cheezy peppery sauce. The new potatoes, YIPPEE! were hot and tasty. At the end of our meal we were not asked "have you enjoyed your meal" hence we feel obliged to write this review. We will not be going back, nor recommend it.

Stayed: September 2011, travelled with friends
1  Thank L A W
Reviewed 14 August 2011

On the official scale (as provided by the Met Office......we're not muckin about here yu knooow!) I would rate The Ship Inn, Mevagissey as Very Very Very Very Good!! (OK I dont expect you to understand.......but if you visit this place......and ask the wonderful staff..... you may do!)

Ok I'll go on.

I visited for 3 nights in August 2011 with two friends so we could cycle the Cornish coastline. Apparently it's easier by bus!....... I'd never have guessed!!

I'll go on....

The rooms are perfectly clean and more than adequate for a stay of a few days or more. If you like to wake up early, that's good. Because the flamin seagulls will wake you with the loudest dawn chorus in history! This is rumoured to be very very very very very loud (according to the seagull society) and I think you'll find this is a record!

The food in the pub is very very good and you get decent sized portions too! The beer is also good.....actually very very very good.......You'd have to visit The Ship at Portloe to get a pint of equal quality. (I cant say a better pint because the staff in Mevagissey would lynch me......actually they'd probably make me walk the plank!!!! AAAAAAAAARRRRRRRR!!.......SO THERE IS A CURSE!!!!! ......AAAAAAAARRRRR CAPN!

All in all a more than acceptable stay. If you want 4 star or 5 star go somewhere else. But this was just fine for us, and if we weren't happy we would have said so whilst we were there. I would return definately. AAAAAAAAARRRRRRRR!!

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled with friends
1  Thank NPP62
Reviewed 17 June 2011

We recently went to stay in Mevagissey and really quite late on one night were looking for a place to eat. We came across the Ship Inn. We liked the look of the place as we went in. The welcome we received made us want to stay. The staff were so friendly so I have to mention Belle, Kay and Sam. I have special dietry requirements but this was no problem and the food was fast onto our table. We really enjoyed our meal and would recommend this establishment for friendly, good and enjoyable serevice. Would definately go again.

1  Thank frogloverNantwich
Reviewed 12 June 2011

We are so pleased that we booked in at the Ship Inn.
On arrival we found the staff very polite and helpful. We were shown to our room which was very clean and presentable.
We chose to stay at the Ship for our evening meal which was delicious and of a good sized portion.
The evening entertainment (kareoke) was most enjoyable and allowed us to meet other people, both holiday makers and locals alike.
The Ship Inn was in the perfect location for our midnight stroll around the harbour and walk around the shops the following day.
Breakfast was lovely and I'm pleased to say was 'Full English'.
Conclusion - We went away for an enjoyable weekend and got exactly what we hoped for, much of it was thanks to the Ship Inn.
Thank you for a lovely stay. We WILL see you again soon.

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 31 May 2011

Four of us vistied the Ship Inn for lunch and were so disappointed.
From the outseide it looked so promising but i think I would of rather of missed lunch altogther,
We had missed the lunch time rush and sat down and ordered at around 2pm, Placed an order took our seat and then was approached to be told what I had order was unavailable-Not a problem I ordered a roast dinner instead and cancelled the portion of chips I had placed with my previous order.
When our groups order arrived 45mins later I had to get my diving equipment out to discover my lunch under a sea of gravy, The veg was solid, The pork unrecognisable it was awful!
My husbands chips never arrived and when we asked a waiter he never returned!
When i eventually spoke to a someone with an ounce of common sense she explained yes i do work here but not today but you can tell me (I think she was the owner) I explained the above to be told "shame about your roast dinner I had one and mine was great" (I guess she thought it was funny?) When i explained I was waiting for the waiter to return with a refund for our food we never received she then said "You need to understand that the waiter is young and lacks communications skills" as though that was the reason our food was terrible.

Customer service just doesn't exist here at all, The staff are ridiculously undertrained, have no idea what was going on and seem to be taking guidance from imbecilic and the most rubbish pub owners ever! Dont waste your money there are plenty of other places to eat in Mevagissey, But saying that eating leftovers out of a bin would taste better!

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled with friends