“Love the place will go back again” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Huron Sands Motel

Huron Sands Motel
We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Manitoulin Island
Huron Sands Motel
Ranked #11 of 16 Hotels in Manitoulin Island
Toronto, Canada
“Love the place will go back again”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 August 2010

I went there with my family and had a great time. I didn't have any problem with the reservations and So on. I have to disagree with the other comments. My husbands got along with the owner and we didn't hear him swear at all. Maybe when you guys called he was having a bad day. I would recommend going there it's alot of fun.

• Stayed July 2010, travelled with family
      Sleep Quality
4 Thank ginnyginnn

Solo
Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
Sudbury, Canada
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 August 2010

I have stayed at the Huron Sands years before and had a wedding to attend this Aug. 2010. When I first contacted the motel, a lady took my call. She reported the motel was already fully booked up for that particular wknd, to which I then gave my contact info should a cancellation come up, I could then reserve a room. She told me they would be in touch should something come available. About 3 days later, I rec'd a phone call from the owner, a "gentleman" (to say the very least) was calling me to "follow up on a message I had left"....so, I then believed that a cancellation had come up and he was calling to book us in...but it was not that easy... right away I noticed he was "short" and "abrupt" with me when I asked to clarify why he was calling me... "do we have something wrong with our phone lines??!!" he demanded of me...."you apparently have a "thing" to go to on this wknd, right??!! right??!!" he asks me impatiently ....when all I was trying to understand was why he was calling me....was there a room now available? At this time he became completely rude and sounded "frustrated" with me....to which I then asked him why he was talking so condescending with me?? At this point of the conversation he was confused (as was I because he couldn't give me an answer as to whether or not a room had come up for availability)...he then puts me on hold....comes back and sputters a bunch of nonsense about Google had put them under the Spanish, Ontario location and there was a mix-up and started ranting about Google to me......???????? (I don't know where he was going with all this talk) The end result was that he had no clue as to why he was calling me because after all...they were still booked up and there was still no availability for that wknd. He may have muttered a "sorry"....I don't recall, all I know was at that point (and while I was on hold) I decided even if a room was avail. , I wasn't giving this a-hole 1 cent of my hard-earned money ....at this point, I'd rather pitch a tent in my friends' yard than stay here!!
I own and operate a small business (for 15 years now) that requires a significant amount of customer service ~ all my business starts with a phone call and if I ever dream t of treating any of my potential customers in that way, I'd sell out before I got to that point! This guy needs to attend some serious cust. service classes and learn how to treat ppl with dignity and respect...after all....they're the ones lining his bank account. Its sad that there are so few motels in this area.....he's become complacent and has forgotten why he got into this business. I wish and hope that when ppl read this comment (and the other persons' bad review) that you'll think twice about spending your money here.... he may feel he's got a "monopoly" with his motel in this area but ppl need to call him on his crap!
To the owner: I hope you give a crap enough to read this review (and the others) and perhaps "listen" to what customers think and expect and better yourself. Treat everyone like you appreciate their business.....even if you've got to do it with your fingers crossed behind your back! You never know who is on the other line buddy.... You can be sure I'll be passing this info/warning around to all my customers that pass through my doors that are heading to the island buddy.... You're pathetic.

• Stayed August 2010, travelled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
5 Thank kimelu

Travellers are raving about these Manitoulin Island hotels

Toronto, Canada
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 August 2010

We had the same experience as the other negative feedback. We also had to cancel and gave several days notice. The man who dealt our cancellation at the motel used several swear words and other negative comments. I am glad now that we cancelled.

Stayed August 2010, travelled with family
3 Thank Ventura1
London, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 July 2010

We stayed here on a Sunday night, we didn't want to sleep in the rain as it poured all day and as our last night there just wanted a nice sleep and no trailer or tent, a motel room is just what we wanted.... I thought for $99 was a bit pricey for any hotel on the Island, especially for a quiet dead Sunday, but besides that the room was really nice, very clean, had A/C, fridge, coffee, tv, couch, was a cabin like feel to the room with the wood ceilings and fancy decorative lamps.... bathroom was clean, shower worked really well.... the store that is located inside the motel open til 9pm, has lots of food/snacks/ice, whatever u need.... yes the staff is a bit "sarcastic' when it comes to being friendly or funny, older couple who runs it, but I thought they were polite.... I really liked the rooms, was very spacious... nice motel.

• Stayed July 2010, travelled as a couple
      Sleep Quality
1 Thank Jeff S
sudbury
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 October 2009

This motel is wthin walking distance of Providence Bay...one of the nicest sand beaches in all of northern ontario...within walking distance of the School House restaurant...unbelivable place...great fish and chip place minutes away The motel has a convinience store with fresh breads, baking goods. The rooms are o.k ...enjoy the experience allan g

• Stayed August 2009, travelled as a couple
Ontario
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 June 2007

I had made a reservation with this hotel, I hadn't stayed there yet, but someone told me it is just down the road from where I wanted to go. So I went on their website and it seemed fine enough for the area we were going. I called and made the reservation the man on the phone gave me all the information I needed and I made a reservation. Just before I hung up I asked him if he had CAA rates and he said " What do you think I gave you, which I thought was odd but said okay see you next week. I called about 2 days prior to the event that we decided not to attend because there was 85% chance of rain and our event is weather dependant so rather to disappoint my son decided to cancel so I called the gentlemen back. I told him I was going to cancel the room due to weather and he said 'really I have had alot of reservations in the past day or two' and I said great you won't have a problem getting the room rented I just didn't want to get out there and have it rain, he proceeded to say I didn't know the event was cancelled and I told him it wasn't but my son is young and he spent last weekend in the mud and we thought we would pass. Just before I could he finish he says ' Ya, Ya what the %^& ever and hangs up the phone. I can't believe that this could ever happen in a customer driven industry and was totally insulted.

22 Thank justFYI