“Great to explore”

Lord Howe Island Walking Trails
Reviewed October 8, 2017

Walkimg trails are mostly well marked, safe and graded. Many are only reachable by bike or car. Maps of the tracks are readily available

All reviews
"boat harbour"
"every turn"
"including mt"

Reviewed October 7, 2017 via mobile

Pick up the walks brochure on arrival to Lord Howe Island. Each walk is graded, from an easy stroll, to strenuous walks such as Goat House (2.1km) and Malabar (1.5km); to Mount Gower (4.5km) that takes 8 hours and requires a guide.

Each of the walks we did was well marked and offered a beautiful nature experience.

Reviewed October 7, 2017 via mobile

We bought the LHI Ramblers book by Ian Hutton from the tourist information centre to assist us in deciding which walks we felt we could complete as neither of us are regular walkers and having stumbled through the Malabar and Kim's look out walk we thought it would probably be a good idea to plan a little better!!!!! The book was worth every cent. It graded the walks and gave very useful information about flora along the routes. We completed many walks but by far the most challenging was the Goat House. To be honest I don't know what I was thinking!!! But when all said and done we managed it although I was beginning to think the reason it was called Goat House was not because of the introduction of Goats in the 1800 but because that's exactly how I felt scrambling up the rocks being assisted by ropes. There were a few gnarly sections at the end that knocked my confidence a little but if you are comfortable with heights and narrow ledges with steep drop offs and scrambling up rock faces with the assistance of ropes I'm confident you will have no problems. I managed to get into the cave and sit with my back to the wall and couldn't move for fear!!!!!!!! My husband did manage to walk around the corner of the ledge and said the views were spectacular. I would recommend this walk for experienced walkers as although we managed it I'm thankful that we had no mishap because our fitness levels and experience was not really up to this. It will be an experience I will never forget and not all negative!

1  Thank TinaBendigo
Reviewed October 6, 2017 via mobile

Lord Howe Island has many walking trails that vary in difficulty. They are well maintained and provide access to the magic rainforest and views that available on the island.
Some are quite difficult, like Mount Gower(guide only) but there are sufficient walks to find one that you can conquer!
A great place to improve your fitness!