“Tremendous Pad Thai”

Cuisines: Thai
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed April 4, 2018

I won't be coming back, but I will explain later.

I arrived close to 2pm and asked the girl (waitress) if they were still open. She signalled five minutes on her hand and said 'kitchen closing in five minutes'. I asked her if I would be able to order and dine in. There were no people in the restaurant. As I had arrived a family of three were leaving. She said I could eat in 'but hurry, kitchen close at 2'. I told her I could order pretty quickly. So I sat and she handed me the menu, including the specials.
I must admit I don't normally order pad thai as I usually find it tasteless and a bit dry however the description of this on the menu sounded delightful, so I threw caution to the wind and ordered it. With prawns. And hot. Most places around Merimbula have the same specials, but none have the descriptions, so you are ordering not knowing what they are, just a name which in most cases is non-descript. At least at this restaurant, whilst still having no images, has a good description of each.
I will state though an error. The description was 'thin rice noodle' on the menu. What was received was 'thin Pad noodle'. There is a difference, so was a bit surprised to get the noodle I did. It was delicious though, and the correct noodle to be served with a Pad Thai dish, but it was not what is 'thin rice'.

Being the only person there and obviously the chef wanting to get out pretty fast, the meal arrived very quickly and was piping hot. It was still warm to the end which in itself is a feat. This was a terrific meal. No denying it, it was great. Sad thing, only three prawns. I felt that was a little lame, even for a lunch time special. Admittedly, they were very well cooked and not overdone, but three was sad. I had water which was given via a bottle and it was chilled which was great. The chef left the restaurant by the front door the moment my meal was put in front of me. Obviously had somewhere to be. So note to others, do not expect a meal if you are two minutes late.

The reason I won't be back is, as with many of the Asian stores around this town (and many others) they have a ridiculous minimum spend with Eftpos which when you dine by yourself is a problem. So I will not return. The other thing I didn't notice until I arrived home, no receipt. I am normally onto that and make sure I get a full tax invoice, but today I slipped up. Paid the cash and have no receipt for it.

Review collected in partnership with HP Windows 10
1  Thank Annamarie D

Reviewed April 1, 2018

I went here expecting something like Noodlebox but was surprised at the low quality of the food. Mind you it could have been a one off, but I never went back again.

Reviewed March 31, 2018 via mobile

This restaurant was a great find by my teenage daughter who loves Thai food. The food, service and friendly atmosphere was great. Prices quite reasonable and would definitely visit again. We started with the Roti Duck Wraps (2 Pieces) for $10.90, massaman beef curry $17.90, stir fried chicken in oyster sauce $16.90 and rice. Another big attraction was BYO was not limited to wine. We were allowed to bring in Canadian Clubs and found that to be an extra saving. Sorry no pictures of the roti duck wraps as we were too hungry

Reviewed March 22, 2018 via mobile

Whilst Merimbula is a small beautiful coastal town, I did not expect to find excellent Thai food in the township.

What a wonderful surprise to drop in for dinner this evening and receive great service with quick delivery of our dishes as well.

Started with Sate Chicken as Entree. Chicken covered in a beautiful peanut sauce said to be their own recipe. I believe it.

I would have given 5 if the chicken was just a little more tender. Very nice and will go back.

Pad Thai Seafood was excellent.

Reviewed February 3, 2018 via mobile

My partner and I took takeaway as we didn’t want to go out tonight. I rang up and wishing 15 minutes it was ready. Very delicious