Hotels.com
Kara B
Southington, Connecticut

A bad experience turned wonderful

4.0 of 5 bubblesReviewed Apr 12, 2024via mobile
This was almost a one star review. So how did it get to 4 stars? I’ll explain. I booked a king room with bunk beds villa, thinking it would be awesome for our 9 and 11 year old boys. We arrived early and our room was ready. The first thing that hit me when I entered the room was an overwhelming bleach smell. I figured they’d just cleaned and it would wear off with some ventilation. We went out to enjoy the hotel’s amenities (great indoor pool, the kids loved the basketball and pingpong outside). We went back to the room - same smell. From what I can gather it was the toilet, probably a bleach tab or something. We went to bed and our kids immediately were unhappy. They were scared in the tiny room with no windows and no fan. I told them to tough it out, we would see if we could get a rollaway in the morning. Sheets were polyester scratchy and the bed was lumpy and stiff in the wrong places. I finally fell asleep to be awakened an hour later by a sound that was like an airplane taking off. Upon investigation it was the HVAC system kicking on (but the thermostat was turned off!). Turning the AC on helped but it still whined all night. Between that, the sheets/bed, and the bleach smell giving me a headache, I didn’t get more than 2 hours of sleep. The kids said they were sweating in the tiny room. At 6am, we packed up, prepared to leave, and went to the front desk.

I explained to the staff at the desk (who was wearing a sweatshirt, not a hotel uniform) that the HVAC in our room was broken and the bunk bed room wasn’t for us. The guy said, “Are you sure? We have no bunk bed rooms.” I blinked at him and said, “Building 5?” He said, “Oh! The Villas! Hang on.” And he disappeared. A few moments later a disheveled manager arrived, looking like he was on his way home, I explained the noise of the HVAC and told him it was like a plane taking off, and he attempted some joke by saying, “Was the noise like this? (Airplane noise:) Whoooooosshhh wwwwhhhiiiinnnneee” He seemed to be making fun of me! I said, “Also, my kids are afraid of the bunk bed room. Can we move rooms please?” He said, “Fine, but what kids don’t like bunk beds???” While trying to move my room, he took a personal call, saying, “Yes, I’m just moving a guests room, then I’m leaving.” Highly unprofessional.

He gave us a 2 queen/1 king room saying it would be an upcharge, but I was so tired I didn’t argue. We went to room 169. Upon entering the room, an insanely powerful musty smell. Inch of dust on the dressers. I have allergies. We trudged back to the front desk (quite a walk!).

Sweatshirt man was there, but he said he didn’t have the authority to move our room, we needed to wait until a manager arrived (around 7, he said), so we sat in the lobby until a lady arrived at 7:15.

This is where the bad service and crappy rooms ended. The supervisor was so kind. She knew about our ordeal (sweatshirt man must have told her), and was sympathetic. She gave us a room on the third floor - no upcharge. The room was spacious and spotless. High ceilings, AC worked, beds comfortable, no scratchy sheets. When my son realized he left his stuffed animal in room 169, the supervisor gave him the key to retrieve it, no questions or hassles. The rest of our stay was wonderful. It was like a different hotel.

Things that I liked: clotheslines in the bathtub. Doors between two rooms with their own thermostats. TVs that allow you to connect to your phone to watch Netflix or Amazon Prime (if you have a subscription obviously). Fast WiFi. Doorbells. The amenities are fantastic. Parking was adequate with lots of entrances.

Notes to booking: Villas are near the highway and there’s a lot of noise, at least there was in our room. The bunk bed rooms don’t have ceiling fans and very little ventilation if your AC is broken.

All in all, I’d stay here again, but I’d make sure I requested to stay in the main building.
Date of stay: April 2024
Room Tip: Avoid king villas with bunk beds
Trip type: Travelled with family
    C$164
3.1 km from Eden Resort and Suites, BW Premier Collection
View more hotels in Lancaster
6,136 results
All reviews indoor pool putting green ping pong shuffle board beautiful resort full kitchen basketball court queen suite breakfast buffet dutch wonderland lancaster area visit lancaster amish country villa brunch arthurs poolside
Selected filters
Reviewed April 4, 2024

used to come here regularly and stay in a suite. loved it. but lately they dont clean the rooms like they used to and they are dusty. I put all the light on upstairs and the fan was full of dust so I had to take a towel wet it and clean the top of fan. then I noticed it had been like that so long the ceiling had dust all around the fan that looked like 3 inches long all the way around, since its a popcorn ceiling I wasn't trying to clean that. I have bad allergies to dust. I had to take an allergy pill. stayed one more night. but my nose was runny even with the pill. the new owner or manager I dont know what or who, but the cleaning staff do not clean like they used to and it shows. sadly it is not only this hotel but many I have stayed at are showing this trend. I didnt bother complaining to the desk. if you let your hotel get like that, then the quality control is gone. time to find a different place. and sometimes the jacuzzi room the jacuzzi is broken. and they all leak water down into the kitchen ceiling. the bed up stairs is comfy but I cant stay in a dust bucket. I didnt bother checking above the bedframe or on top of the photos, but obviously the cleaners didnt put all the lights on in the room when cleaned. im sure it will stay they same or get worse. and we used to love this place, and the jacuzzi next to the heated pool is just great. but sadly wont be going back.

Date of stay: January 2024
Reviewed March 29, 2024

Sadly we were disappointed by the hotel's management.

We picked this hotel because we were excited about the indoor pool. The pool was so cloudy from inadequate cleaning that we could not see the bottom. It was so crowded that we couldn't swim, just tread water in place amongst the crowd. The attendant did not have enough towels for everyone so we waited until they laundered more; we managed to get a couple for our family before they ran out again in minutes. Afterwards we read about cloudy water pools and had anxiety about what we might have done to ourselves from being in there.

Our room was not clean. There was pubic hair on the bed sheets and the bathtub. There was a dirty sock a previous guest had left on the floor next to the bed.

I hope the hotel management improves because it would be a lovely hotel if it was not so dirty.

• Trip type: Travelled with family
Eden Resort Team, General Manager at Eden Resort and Suites, BW Premier Collection, responded to this reviewResponded March 30, 2024

Rachel, thank you for your review. We sincerely apologize for the issues that you encountered during your recent stay here. The cleanliness issues that you experienced in your room do not align with our high standards, and they are not common occurrences; they have been addressed by our Housekeeping manager. Please be aware that we regularly clean our pools and perform the necessary diagnostic tests to ensure that the water is within the safe levels for our guests. We hope that we will be able to welcome you here again to provide the exceptional stay that is typical for our guests. -Greg Kavanagh, General Manager

Reviewed March 25, 2024

My husband books a birthday vacation every year and this is by far my favorite hotel. Although we are BW members and have stayed at many different BW hotels this resort and its accommodations are truly game changing. This should be an example for all other hotels that want to succeed in the business. It’s not just that they have two restaurants, a lounge and the best Sunday brunch in Lancaster that draws you back. The rooms are so spacious and comfortable. Constantly improving the decor and anticipating your every need. Inside and outside pools and fun areas. Amenities to numerous to mention. But the best part is the staff. Willing to help make your stay the most enjoyable and relaxing time possible. Like I said my husband takes us to many BW hotels and they are great. If an example is to be set this is the hotel to do it. Stayed in the Hershey suite this past couple days with granddaughters and my sister. It was her birthday also. You don’t want to leave!
This may have been a review that I didn’t sent but should have. We come here often and have stayed in many different rooms and suites. Have gotten away from using TripAdvisor since the pandemic started since we were elderly then and worried about our health. Well knock on wood we’re still elderly and doing fine. Still our favorite hotel and although the pandemic has changed the way businesses are run Eden Resort is still our favorite home away from home place to go for a vacation or weekend getaway. Thank you again for continuing to offer a unique and caring experience.

Room tip: Don’t be afraid to ask questions. The staff is there to help with any questions you might have.
  • Trip type: Travelled with family
Eden Resort Team, General Manager at Eden Resort and Suites, BW Premier Collection, responded to this reviewResponded March 27, 2024

VernaS, thank you for your review. We're glad to be your favorite hotel, especially to help you celebrate your husband's birthday. We appreciate your detailed comments about all that you enjoyed and your recognition of our staff. We hope to be able to welcome you back soon. -Eden Resort Team

Reviewed March 24, 2024

I would avoid this hotel at all costs if you want to have an enjoyable night of sleep. Given its close proximity to Spooky Nook, it attracts a ton of teenagers and youths who run the hallways at night and keep you and your family up at all hours of the evening. When I reached out to security at 2:30 am for some assistance, they didnt do much to help to solve the problem -- luckily the kids tired themselves out at 4 am. And when I complained to the front desk, they offered to extend my checkout by a measly 2 hours -- didnt do much when I needed to start my day. If you want to party all night and babysit kids (not your own) in the hallways of this hotel, please feel free to stay here. Service is non existent.

Room tip: Bring earplugs
  • Trip type: Travelled with family

Sam, thank you for your review. We sincerely apologize that you did not have an enjoyable night of sleep here. We have Quiet Hours starting at 10:00pm, and we have managers on duty to enforce this policy. We also appreciate our guests who comply with this policy and ensure that any children are not left unattended. We will ensure that we do a better job of enforcing our Quiet Hours policy so that all guests may have an enjoyable stay here. -Gregory Kavanagh, General Manager

Reviewed March 24, 2024

Do not come here if you are looking for a quiet evening with your partner or traveling solo. Young teenage girls and boys run the hallways regularly at night, screaming, and yelling, and using profanity. Called the front Desk And they did nothing to resolve the problem.

Date of stay: March 2024
Trip type: Travelled as a couple

John, thank you for your review. We sincerely apologize that you did not have a quiet evening here. We have Quiet Hours starting at 10:00pm, and we have managers on duty to enforce this policy. We also appreciate our guests who comply with this policy and ensure that any children are not left unattended. The issue you encountered is not a regular occurrence here, and we will ensure that we do a better job of enforcing our Quiet Hours policy. -Gregory Kavanagh, General Manager