“HAD A GREAT TIME”

Ranked #33 of 39 Hotels in Lancaster
Bronx, New York
“HAD A GREAT TIME”
Reviewed 17 May 2012

Rooms were clean, beds very comfortable, bathroom was clean ,shower not the strongest, but the towels were fine.Staff was very accomadating ..Would agree with other reviews that the airconditioning wasn't great but since it was cool it really wasn't an issue... as it was a girls weekend i would prefer a room with the sink separate from the bathroom area but we managed..didnt go to the indoor pool looked nice ..Would really like to go back when the outdoor pool is open....It looks like so much fun......Our breakfast buffet was included and was delicious.... the wait staff was friendly and very helpful.......Since i booked 2 rooms using vouchers from an online deal, this was the bargain of the year.....

Room Tip: Bottom floor facing the outdoor pool gives u a patio, which is great if u have more than one room...
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank jamainthewind
Harry S, General Manager at Lancaster Host Resort and Conference Center, responded to this review, 21 May 2012
Thank you for staying with us at the Lancaster Host Resort. We were pleased to see you enjoyed your stay with us, and your visit to the Lancaster area.

Appreciate you taking the time to post a positive review outlining your personal observations, including our new guest linens and breakfast offerings. The hotel has a central heat and air conditioning system with individual thermostats in each guest room. During the spring with warmer days and cooler nights we have been operating one of our two chillers for the air conditioning side; this transition phase allows our guests better control over both the hot and cool air supply to their individual rooms.

The hotel’s outdoor pool season runs from Memorial Day through Labor Day, the pool area also features a children’s play area, shuffleboard and Splashes an outdoor food and beverage outlet offering many of our guests favorite food and beverage items.

Thanks again, we appreciate your patronage and look forward to having you stay with us in the near future.

Harry Stevens

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (198)
Nicholson, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 15 May 2012

Found the hotel to be "tired" looking and somewhat shabby. The room was pretty clean, but the beds were hard and uncomfortable, the pillows old and lifeless, air conditioning wasn't working, bathroom had no ventiliation, towels were thin, water pressure was low enough that it made rinsing shampoo out of hair difficult, TV was small and poor picture, fitness room equipment was in deplorable condition and barely useable, hallways poorly lit. We went to the bar area for lunch and never got served. Check out was a fiasco due to mix up in credit card numbers by staff. The only positive was the nice walking path. In all honesty, I would have preferred staying in one of the Amish barns.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled on business
2 Thank Cheryl M
Thank you for taking the time to post this review. We appreciate your comments and personal observations regarding your recent stay at the Lancaster Host Resort. We are disappointed to hear the hotel did not meet your expectations.

During your stay the hotel did experience an emergency issue were the water main pipe into the hotel suffered a rupture which decreased water pressure in some guest rooms, please accept my apology for the inconvenience. Our Chief Engineer informs me we did not have any air conditioning issues during that time frame. The hotel has a Manager-On-Duty, 24 hours a day; he/she is available by calling the front desk and can assist with issues such as air conditioning, changing pillows etc.

Our hotel team has a commitment to ensure that every guest has a positive experience. It is my management philosophy if during their stay, a guest communicates to us that they are not satisfied with any area of our hotel operations; we will make every effort to correct the situation, offer alternative solutions, up to and including full or partial refund of any/all hotel related charges.

Again we thank you for your feedback and patronage; if I can be of any further service please feel free to contact me directly at 717.299.5500

Reviewed 14 May 2012 via mobile

With so many places to stay in Lancaster, this hotel would be at the bottom of my list. I chose this hotel as my sister was staying there to attend a conference. We decided to make it a family weekend for Mother's Day. The hotel has the potential to be a very nice resort but it is in need of updating. The lobby was beautiful but everything else was lacking. The rooms were old and although clean were very dingy and old looking. The indoor pool was cold and the kids could not swim. Although we were told that they were turning up the heat, this did not appear to have happened. The worst part of our stay was the special Mother's Day brunch in the resturant. Although the menu looked wonderful and it was presented well, the majority of the food was in edible. Between the dead fly in my daughters tea to the over done eggs benidict stale desearts and watery chocolate fountain, I could have served a better brunch if I had wanted to cook. In addition the serving staff did not seem to understand what they were doing and we were overcharged. Perhaps this hotel could be a winner with some major updates and upgrades but with so many choices it is doubtful that I will be back to find out.

Stayed May 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank Kim S
Thank you for taking the time to post this review. We appreciate your comments and personal observations regarding your recent stay at the Lancaster Host Resort. We are disappointed to hear the hotel did not meet your expectations, please accept my apology for the inconvenience.

The management staff and I have investigated each of your comments and rectifed the issue as warranted. Diemayed to read your comments about the Brunch as many other other guests, who come back year after year were very complimentary.

Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 11 May 2012

I recently attended a conference at the Lancaster Host with six of my coworkers. The seven of us have a combined 253 years on this planet, and we all agree that this was the worst hotel experience any of us have had. We tried to keep open minds as we took in the unpleasant smells and balked at the seriously stained furniture in the common areas, but when we arrived in our rooms, the disappointment continued. Between us, we had four rooms reserved, each of them as unpleasant as the next. The most immediately noticeable issue was the total lack of climate control, which resulted in damp sheets and carpet, and actual steam on the bedroom mirrors. We all had fun playing roulette with the thermostats throughout the week and learned early on that our choices were damp or freezing and nothing in between.

That in itself may have been manageable, but when taken with the filth of the place, we considered at times sleeping in our rental car. We were quite sure that not only had the lighting, furniture and fixtures not been updated since the 1970s, but we suspected that was also the last time the place was clean. Nowhere was the lack of cleanliness more apparent than in the bathrooms, where the shower heads were so caked with lime and calcium, they were almost completely blocked. The floors of the tubs were grey with age, and ours had hair on it from previous inhabitants. I'm pretty sure I felt fresher before my showers than after. The grout in the floor tile had some kind of white scum in it that I didn't care to study long enough to identify. The sink offered no solace, as alas, the deep cracks in its surface were full of mildew. The sink fixture was old and yellowing, such that I did not feel comfortable touching it with a freshly washed hand, and instead used my elbow to shut off the water. That, of course, was when we had water. There was an alleged water main break while we were there, and the sinks and showers worked infrequently. When calling the front desk to ask about when we could expect the water to return, attendees of our conference heard such suggestions as:

"If you come to the front desk, we'll be happy to give you a key to another room where you can shower, but you'll have to hurry, as we have another guest checking into that room shortly."

I am very understanding about circumstances such as a water main break that may be beyond the staff's control. It turned out, however, that the hotel restaurant Legends counted amongst those things out of the staff's control. Famished from traveling, we tried Legends immediately after check-in and realized quickly it would be our last visit. We ordered seven relatively expensive meals, and waited for them for an unacceptably long time, considering we were the only occupied table. An hour and 20 minutes later, when our meals finally arrived, only one out of seven of them was edible. Although all of their issues are too numerous to list, highlights include: a steak ordered well-done that came out bleeding, salads that purported to have chicken breast (which turned out to be cold and artificial, complete with fake grill marks), and a $10 salad that came out with nothing but lettuce, tomatoes and Bacos on it. We thought we'd toast our misfortune with a bottle of champagne, but the server explained that her manager would have to go retrieve the bottle from lock-up. Not only was this never accomplished, but the server never even mentioned it again.

Admittedly, the manager-on-duty remedied the situation by comping our meals, but these things are traditionally done to encourage guests to return, and by the end of our experience, we were certain there would be no such visit. (We later learned from attendees of an annual conference held at this venue that this kind of performance is typical at Legends.)

Between the horrible smells, the half-eaten box of Cheerios behind our bed, the arctic temperatures in the business center and the apparent unwillingness of the staff to accommodate us, we really tried to find a silver lining. It didn't find us until we checked out and realized we were never so happy to be going home in our lives. (OK, I admit that the walking trail that winds throughout the golf course and neighboring farms was pretty great too.)

Reading through some other reviews here, I expect some kind of lengthy response from the hotel's General Manager, but I would encourage him to save his time and direct that energy to making some serious improvements in the operation of the Lancaster Host Resort.

Room Tip: There is a Holiday Inn Express down the street that looks pretty nice.
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled on business
3 Thank Anonymous A
Harry S, General Manager at Lancaster Host Resort and Conference Center, responded to this review, 17 May 2012
I would like to thank you for taking the time to share your personal observations and feedback regarding your recent stay at the Lancaster Host Resort. I apologize that we were unable to provide you and your associates with a positive experience.

During the second day of the conference, through no fault of our own, one of the main water supply lines to the hotel did experience a fracture which reduced overall water pressure to some of our guest rooms. The hotel did check the water pressure in every guest room and offered to move guests to alternative rooms which had sufficient water pressure. For those guests who did not want to move to another room, upon request, we did offer the alternative to utilize a shower in a vacant room. The water line has been repaired, and the water pressure has returned to normal.

We appreciate the itemized list of observations included in your anonymous review. They were shared with the appropriate department manager for follow-up. However the review neglected to mention that the hotel, as a result of the water main issue, refunded and/or discounted a significant dollar amount charged to each conference attendee.

I am disappointed I could not speak to you personally prior to your check out. As reflected in many other reviews, our efforts at the Lancaster Host Resort are to exceed our guests’ expectations and provide one of the best experiences in Lancaster County, Pennsylvania. We were pleased to read that you did enjoy walking along our fitness trail.

I applaud the efforts of our hotel team and I am proud of their many accomplishments in these past few months. We make mistakes, we know we have more work to do; renovations and facility updates are accomplished as time and capital dollars allow.

If I can be of further assistance, feel free to contact me personally at 717.299.5500 or hstevens@lancasterhost.com.

Erie, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 10 May 2012

Very nice overall; room was large, clean, comfortable and overlooked beautiful golf course. Kids eat free and they loved the indoor pool and play area - I think its called kidszone.
Great location; wife got to go shopping at outlets and I got to play golf, what could be better?
Staff was efficient, pleasant and professional. They feature great selection of local beers and some nice wine by glass. Breakfast and dinner were very nice.
We will be back in the summer when that huge outdoor pool opens. Don't believe all you read here; you want flashy and new you have other options. You want comfortable room and great amenities, for the price this hotel is for you.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank James B
Dear James B.,
Thank you for staying with us at the Lancaster Host Resort. We were happy to see you and the family again! Am pleased to hear you and your family enjoyed your visit with us and took the time to post a review outlining the how you enjoyed our various amenities.

We appreciate your patronage and look forward to having you stay with us again in the near future. In June we will start our unique family drive-in movie night utilizing golf carts, hope your family will join us.

Monongahela
Reviewed 10 May 2012

Location location location. Historic Lancaster is overflowing with wonderful places and the Host is a gem. great staff eager to please, good food and lots of places to explore around the hotel.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple
Thank you for staying with us at the Lancaster Host Resort. Am pleased to hear you enjoyed your visit to Lancaster as well as your stay with us. and took the time to post a review.

We appreciate you taking the time to post a review and your patronage; we look forward to having you stay with us again to explore all the wonderful summer activities in the Lancaster area.

Connecticut
Reviewed 7 May 2012

Visited with a convention. Got seriously ill due to mildew, mold and some funny smell which permeated my room. One attendee had bed bugs in his room; the staff did immediately reassign a new room.
They need a new chef in their kitchens since the food served in the two restaurants was inedible and flavorless. Several dishes on the buffet table had hardened egg on them. Product quality was poor. You would think that they would purchase local products from the Amish farms! Scrambled eggs tasted like plastic, coffee tasted like dish water, steak was tough.
Ice machines are out of order on ALL floors. The pool is drained supposedly for repair although older posts record the same. Rooms have peeling paint.
One elevator that provides service to the Handicap Accessible rooms needs to be rested when overworked during the day. This means that handicapped customers will be stranded on their floor.
The Conference Rooms are poorly lit. The hotel does not provide courtesy coffee and tea to the events. Nor do they provide staff to check to make sure that needs are met.
When one stays at this kind of hotel, a decent bar is a necessity. Once again, Lancaster Host fails. Limited selection, out of stocks AND a VERY UNFRIENDLY BARTENDER.
You are not getting a deal here. Pick some place else.

Room Tip: Go somewhere else.
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled with friends
4 Thank MonetsMom
Harry S, General Manager at Lancaster Host Resort and Conference Center, responded to this review, 10 May 2012
Thank you for your comments and personal observations regarding your stay at the recent convention hosted here at the Lancaster Host Resort and Conference Center in Lancaster, Pennsylvania. Given the wonderful feedback we received from other guests who were at the same convention, I am disappointed that we did not fully meet your expectations.

When I read your review I was dismayed it contained a secondhand report that “One attendee had bed bugs in his room; the staff did immediately reassign a new room.” Let me be very clear on this particular point. During the convention the hotel did not reassign any guest rooms due to the presence of, or evidence of bed bugs. In fact, after reading your review we called our pest control company, who along with hotel managers inspected every room assigned to the convention attendees and we found zero evidence of bed bugs in any of the rooms, none, period.

Am sorry to learn that you were feeling ill; we do experience high pollen counts during the spring here in the heart of Lancaster County, especially this year due to the abnormally warm February and March. We hope you are feeling better now. The hotel is adjacent to open farmland, the “funny smell” you reported is probably the animal manure that the Amish farmers use as fertilizer, which they recently spread over their fields.

I will follow up with the Executive Chef relative to your comments about the taste and quality of the food, although we received many positive compliments from other guests about the food service during the convention.

As to the ice machines, yes, you are partially correct; two of the six ice machines in the guest hallways are out of order. Signage on these out of order machines request the guest to please call the front desk and hotel staff will deliver ice to your room.

Not sure where you live, but the outdoor pool is empty because it opens for the summer season on Memorial Day and closes on Labor Day, we do not keep water in the outdoor pool year round. However, the heated indoor pool was open every day during the convention from 7am to 11pm.

You indicated “rooms have peeling paint,” The hotel has 318 rooms, plus 93,000 sq. ft. of meeting space; as a result, there may be some peeling paint, and for that I apologize. We are continuously addressing these cosmetic maintenance items on a daily basis.

Our elevator works fine, it may be a tad slow compared to more modern elevators, but it was recently inspected and has a preventative maintenance contract to ensure its smooth operation.

Your opinions and personal observations relative to conference room light levels, absence of courtesy coffee, limited selection of bar items are all driven by your specific personal preferences, and probably would not occur to most other guests; but, we will review these options for future events here.

As you can see we take guest feedback very seriously here at the Host. We thank you for your observations and appreciate your time and effort in sharing them. If I may be of any further assistance please feel free to contact me directly.

717.299.5500