Bear Creek Mountain Resort
  • Restaurant
US$90
US$110
US$116
All reviewsoutdoor jacuzziski slopessnow tubingdisc golfqueen suitetrail's endclose to homewedding venuedaughter's weddingsteam roomlehigh valleyhot tubcommon areasgreat weekendlift operatorsstayed for two nightstrails end
Reviewed March 6, 2012

This was our first time at Bear Creek and also our first time skiing. We had a great time. The hotel met all of our expectations. The staff was friendly, the rooms were clean, We arrived 2 hrs early and our room was ready so we were able to check in early. The ski instructors were great! They were very knowledgeable and patient. The food at both restaurants was very good. Overall it was a very enjoyable wknd and we will return next ski season. Highly recommend Bear Creek Resort.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Silvia W
Reviewed February 28, 2012

A beautiful hotel/resort not often found in the Pocono Mountains. Our rooms were at the bottom of the mountain. Beautiful, clean decor. Something for everyone, Skiing, tubing, hot tub, pool, restaurants, kid's game room, etc. Upon arrival, there was wine and cheese at the desk. If you stay at the hotel, there is a separate ski rental/storage area just for hotel guests! No waiting in lines-terrific! The restaurant, The Grille, is cozy and had a nice bar with TV's.Fireplaces in the ski lodge. Free coffee/paper in the lobby in the morning. They just have some very nice touches. We will go back each year.

Room Tip: Slopeside rooms are available and overlook the mountain.
Reviewed February 28, 2012

First time going...Had a wonderful time. The room was huge, clean and beautiful. Top Notch place and reasonably priced. The only down side is you can't check in until after 4PM, and even then you are not guaranteed that your room will be ready. We got there at 2PM, went swimming and couldn't get into our room until after 5pm. It was hard to get settled, order food for dinner and then get out to our prepaid tubing session at 7pm. Other than that, the place was absolutely AWESOME!!! I will definitely be back with my family.

Room Tip: Microwave, coffee pot and small refridgerator in the Queen Suite.
2  Thank kbrunelle
Reviewed February 25, 2012

We have friends who ski here a few times a season, and also stay here a few other times a year just to get away. At their urging, on exactly July 1st we made our Presidents Day weekend reservations (reportedly, that's the first day that ski season hotel reservations are available, and they sell out quickly). For Presidents Day weekend, there was a 3-night minimum stay.

We had a great time. We were very pleasantly surprised by the quality of the hotel property. Amenities. Cleanliness. Friendly service. Everything was superb.

We paid for a huge room, a suite. The room category was "Queen suite - Slopeside south." We had a very large main room that included a kitchenette (fridge hidden in cabinet, sink, microwave, huge counter space, food storage area hidden in a different cabinet), round kitchen/dining table with 4 chairs, desk and chair, large sofa and comfy easy chair, old-school TV in a large entertainment center/bureau, a neat area with hooks (where we hung our ski pants and ski jackets, keeping them out of the way but not interfering with closet space), and sliding glass doors opening to a tiny little balcony (wide, but only about one foot deep) overlooking the outdoor pool below and the entire ski resort everywhere else.

The bedroom is accessed through a door from the main room. Two comfy queen beds, a bureau with a proper flat panel TV on top, a tall bureau, and windows overlooking the same view as the other room has.

The bathroom has two doors, one from the main room and one from the bedroom. In between the bedroom and the bathroom is a large dressing room. The bathroom has a toilet and shower/tub, the dressing room has a sink, large counter, ample closet and cubby space, hair dryer and safe. There is a locking door between the dressing room and bathroom (and one between the bathroom and main room). The dressing room is separated from the bedroom by what I can best describe as a sliding pocket door, except there's no pocket.

We are a couple with a 12 year old and 9 year old. Whenever we travel (several times a year) with the kids, we prefer this type of room, a suite; we all sleep in the same room, but we enjoy having two rooms so we can spread out during downtime and have it be more home-like. The bedroom was about the size of a standard hotel room. The main room was much larger, which meant that we had a HUGE amount of space for the four of us, and I can't tell you how nice that was.

I know that the hotel is relatively new, but it is nice to see that everything is so "fresh" ... no peeling paint, no worn carpets, and so on.

As for the skiing, it's a great place for beginners (my wife and kids) and intermediate skiers (me). But this isn't the place to ski if you are a very very serious skier who wants long and very challenging runs. It was plenty for me and I loved it, but I'm sure that very serious skiers would find the skiing itself lacking.

My son and I had a great time snowtubing on the late-afternoon of our arrival day. This costs extra (as does the skiing, of course) and reservations are recommended. You pay for tubing in a pre-set three-hour block of time. You grab a tube (with handles), ride a carpet lift to the top, and then wait until it's your turn to slide down one of the four straight tracks. Great fun! If you have good snow boots, wear them. The only way to stop at the end is to drag the toe-end of your shoes. By the end of the three hours, the fake suede on the toes of my cheapo hiking boots was peeling off.

My wife and 9-year-old daughter got mani-pedis at the Spa (while my son and I went snowtubing), and my wife said it was just as good as any other spa experience she's had.

The hotel does a great job of catering to its skiing/snowboarding guests. One of the greatest amenities is that the hotel has a private equipment rental shop exclusively for hotel guests. Day trippers, who comprise the huge majority of skiers, rent equipment at the main rental shop at the other end of the complex, which I'm sure can get very crowded at times. In addition, the hotel has an "equipment check" room where you store your skis/boards, boots and poles when you're not skiing. If you are there for several days, you just check your stuff overnight ... no need to go back to the rental shop the next day, and so on. VERY convenient. And no extra charge.

One good tip we got from a helpful front desk clerk: If you arrive the day before you intend to ski (like we did), go ahead down to the hotel rental shop that evening, when it's empty, and get all your equipment then, then bring it down to the equipment check room. By doing this, you avoid the crowds in the morning, when many other people are going to be getting their equipment. Getting fitted for equipment is a slow process, so if there's a crowd you can have a decent wait on your hands. By doing it during a relatively dead time of day, if you can, you save yourself a lot of time when you're raring to get to the slopes.

We ate at all three restaurants. The Mountain Eatery is, technically, part of the ski resort and not the hotel (but you can get there from the hotel without going outside). Cafeteria/food court type of place, decent-enough food given the low expectations you'd have for that type of food. VERY crowded during lunchtime on a ski weekend; most tables seemed "reserved" for the day by piles of coolers and bags, or non-skiing Moms with their laptops. It seemed hopeless to even try to wait for a table, since it looked like most weren't even being actively used but yet were tied up by absentee squatters. It was warm enough one day for us to eat outside at the tables on the deck. Another ski day, we checked our equipment, and my son and I got take-out (on trays) for the four of us and we walked it all the way back up to our room. If you're going to do that long walk, I strongly advise changing out of your ski boots first.

We had two very good dinners at The Grille at Bear Creek, the resort's "nice" restaurant. I was very pleasantly surprised by the sophistication of the menu. It wasn't plain and stodgy and boring, but it also wasn't too artsy for non-foodies (for example, prime veal porterhouse with porcini risotto and asparagus, grilled salmon with clams and chorizo and broccolini in a saffron broth, interesting pasta dishes, blank angus steaks). My 9-year-old was satisfied with the kids' menu. An interesting selection of Belgian-style beers, too. Reservations are recommended (I was surprised that they do their reservations using www.opentable.com).

The food is also good at the hotel's casual restaurant/take-out, Trails End Cafe. I got take-out breakfast there each day. This was the only place where I had any problems with service, and it came in the form of attention to detail. It says on the menu that they use egg whites on request. Three mornings in a row I ordered an egg white omelet, and three mornings in a row they made it with whole eggs and I had to wait to have it redone. In addition, the prep time itself took a long time ... I was usually there around 7:15 a.m. (they open at 7) and was the only customer, yet it took about 10 minutes for an omelet platter and some pancakes for my kids (the 10 minutes is NOT including the extra time I waited while they re-cooked the omelets with the egg whites I ordered) ... there were two short-order cooks and I was the only customer ordering; on one hand, I guess I shouldn't complain about a 10-minute wait for made-to-order food, but on the other hand, I can't imagine what the wait would be like if there were several orders ahead of mine. We also had a sit-down dinner there one night, just as the restaurant was changing over to host karaoke night in the bar section, which was fun as well as kid-friendly even though it was in the bar. The food, mostly burgers and sandwiches and veggie wraps, took a long time, also. But all of the staff ... the cashiers, the hostesses, and the one waitress we had ... were friendly and pleasant and made it all a nice experience.

The outdoor pool was a lot of fun. This isn't one of those combination indoor/outdoor pools where you start out inside and then swim under a divider to a small outdoor portion. This is a large, stand-alone outdoor pool. It is very nicely heated, but then you must get out of the pool and face the elements. It wasn't even that cold out, maybe it was in the low 40s, but man, was it rough to get out and get dry and then scamper inside. I live at the Shore and do the Polar Bear Plunge every New Year's Day, and let me tell you, getting out of that nice warm pool was a lot harder then getting out of the freezing cold ocean. It was a wondeful treat, playing with the kids in a pool that has steam rising from it, while watching the skiers on the slopes just yards away.

I paid and arranged in advance to have a dozen roses in a vase waiting in our room (for my wife) when we arrived, and they were there as promised; I did this directly through the hotel, not through an outside florist. $85 wasn't cheap, but they did it correctly and as promised.

We had a great time. I highly recommend this property. I can't wait 'til July 1st, when I'll be making my reservations for the next ski season.

Reviewed February 24, 2012

Laura helped me a number of times, when I called with questions about making reservations. She was extremely helpful and instrumental in making our ski trip a success.
We had a mountain view from our suite, which I recommend. We stayed in a Queen Suite with kitchenette. The room was spacious for the 5 of us. Sleeping was comfortable. Room very clean. We had a huge porch to sit on and enjoy the view. Everyone at this place is friendly and seems to genuinely want you to enjoy your stay. The indoor pool is small, but was adequate. We were there to ski, not swim! The ski school is worth it, especially if you have kids who haven't skied before. The mountain is perfect for beginners.

Room Tip: Ask for a mountain view if possible.
1  Thank T_W_M0319