“Perfect experience!!”
Review of Breakneck Tavern

Breakneck Tavern
Reserve with OpenTable
Breakneck Tavern is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #2 of 36 Restaurants in Mars
Price range: US$12 - US$32
Cuisines: Mexican
Description: Breakneck Tavern is an American restaurant with influences of Southern BBQ and Cajun foods. We are conveniently located on Route 228 in Mars, PA. Breakneck Tavern sits along the Breakneck Creek next to the railroad tracks in the valley that was once "nick named" the Breakneck Valley by the railroad companies that delivered goods here many years ago. We brought the rich history this valley offers into our restaurant with murals painted of the Velte Foundry that once stood in our location and a map of the famous Harmony Shortline route. Other accents can be found in the restaurant like antique railroad rail, railroad spikes, reclaimed windows, reclaimed wood and reclaimed antique barn doors. From start to finish we have been dedicated to Sustainable Construction. Our dedication to sustainability can be found in our construction materials, supplies and demolition process. During the Demolition all removed materials were recycled at Jon Garvin Salvage Yard. Many reclaimed materials were used from the old Building that once stood in our parking lot. The face of our bar is constructed of reclaimed lumber from the building that once stood in our parking lot. The windows that divide our bar and dining room came from that same building, as well as the large Barn Doors that close off our Private Dining Room. Throughout the construction process we chose as many sustainable building components as possible. Those components include, but are not limited to, ATAS International Sustainable Roofing Products, complete LED lighting package, Concrete countertops, Ecolab Sustainable dish Chemicals, Eco Friendly take packaging, Energy Star rated hot water tank/plumbing products. Water saver fixtures were installed in the restrooms and kitchens. Our dedication to Sustainability continues in our menu, kitchen supplies and chemicals. Our menu offers a large selection of Sustainable Seafood and Farm to Table responsible ingredients. Our chemicals are purchased from Eco-Lab a world leader in Sustainability. Our cleaning products and take out containers are Eco/Earth friendly. We have 40 beers on tap and many are from local craft distilleries with dedication to the same Sustainable process. When possible we choose paperless/electronic bill management and even advertise electronically to reduce bulk paper waste. We are open seven days a week lunch and dinner for your enjoyment of our responsible restaurant.
Reviewed June 15, 2017 via mobile

We were in town on business and it was suggested we try this restaurant. It turned out to be the best food we found in PA. The crab dip was absolutely delicious. The shrimp and grits had an unexpected twist (marinara on top)that turned out to be fabulous. They also accommodated us at the bar by letting us bring our own soda for rim and Coke because of a caffeine restriction and they didn't have caffeine free Coke. Dan was our waiter and he was helpful and gracious. I would definitely recommend this to everyone.

Reviewed June 12, 2017

Stopped here for dinner with my family and a friend's family while in town for the Bantam Jeep Festival.

We were seated in a very comfortable booth inside the restaurant. As other reviews have stated, the interior is somewhat industrial which isn't exactly what I expected, but wasn't bad either.

The food however was somewhat disappointing. I ordered the Seasonal Special of shrimp and grits. I was very surprised by what I received. I received a clump of grits that were very, very dry in the middle of a bowl with 4-5 good sized shrimp on top of it. On the shrimp was some sort of marinara sauce. I was anticipating something with much more spice, flavor, and consistency similar to what I've received at other restaurants where I've ordered shrimp and grits.

My wife ordered the scallops which turned out nicely and were very tasty.

My friend ordered a medium-well burger which he couldn't even eat because it was so grossly under cooked. To their credit, when the table was cleared, the waitress or manager noticed that the burger had been cooked incorrectly and took the item off of my friends bill and offered him a free dessert along with an apology.

Tips:
Scallops are very tasty and a decent sized portion comes with the meal.

The scallop appetizer only comes with two scallops.

Reviewed June 4, 2017 via mobile

I was very surprised walking into this place. Not quite what I expected but pleasantly surprised. Decor was very industrial and not what the exterior showed. Menu was very limited in choices but what was there appears to be good. Ordered the walleye special and was a bit disappointed in portion size but was good. Ordered a few different apps, crab dip, calamari and grill brussel sprouts which all were good as well. Drinks were ok, waitress had a hard time knowing what wines they had in stock.

Reviewed May 28, 2017

We went here with family for a birthday dinner. Very nice place. Clean service was awesome. She was very attentive and friendly. Bruschetta was awesome. The beard and dipping oil amazing.
Scallops were delicious .
Dessert list pretty awesome as well.
Thank you for a lovely dinner.

Reviewed April 24, 2017

Went for dinner on a Sunday with my parents and some friends. I was excited to try this place as I had heard that they have an excellent draft list and the menu seemed to be rich with items from which I was able to choose (vegetarian who eats fish). I LOVED it! I started with the rock shrimp which was excellent; not overly breaded, crispy and the sauce was a nice touch. My husband ordered the stuffed peppers and said that they were very good. I had the quinoa and baby kale salad and a side of brussels sprouts. The salad was exactly what I had been craving and was hearty and flavorful. The sprouts were well cooked and crispy, though I could have done with a little less oil. Mom ordered a side of fried green tomatoes; perfectly fried and tasty. Husband ordered a pastrami burger and felt that it was a little bland.
The draft list definitely didn't disappoint and they had a number of local brews.
Our waitress was friendly and attentive and the wait time for our food was probably about average.
There are a number of other items that I would like to try so I'll definitely be going back.