“Great place!”

Steel City Coffee House
Price range: US$7 - US$18
Reviewed February 11, 2018 via mobile

We were looking for a place to just relax and grab a coffee, and we stumbled upon this gem! As we entered, we could see they were setting up for a band that evening, but the owner immediately greeted us and told us we were welcome to hang out and have coffee. The selection of coffee drinks is amazing, and the treats they have (cookies, cupcakes, biscotti) are yummy. You MUST try the homemade ice cream. Omg!!!!! Best ice cream I ever had. And yes, Mrs. Owner, people will eat ice cream in the winter. Ha! Had to get that one in there for your hubby. I had the Nutella coffee and hands down it was th best coffee drink I ever had.
This is a fun, friendly, relaxing place. We will definitely make the hour drive to hang out here again. Oh, and to try the other ice cream flavors.

Reviewed February 13, 2017 via mobile

Favorite relaxation place for a cup of joe and great people watching. Desserts are good too and the guys behind the counter make it fun.

Reviewed January 5, 2017

Had a "little" breakfast bowl that was almost more than I could eat. Enjoyed it with a nice coffee. Great spot to have in the neighborhood! Haven't been in the evenings yet, but often see they have bands.

Reviewed December 30, 2016

This place is awesome, and for the thousands of repeat customers they have, it is hard to find any truth in the posts of 2 (perhaps) people that have actually gone there. Everything is above standards. You cannot get better coffee anywhere. The food is tasty, and in many cases reaching Gourmet level. and you always feel welcome. The music adds to the ambiance ( look it up, people that wrote bad reviews) . As for the other reviews, I would ignore them and go for an opinion of your own. Then write a review about the other reviewers.

Reviewed September 9, 2016

Steel City, what can I say? It keeps rising and dying and even under new ownership that remains the same. The food quality is less than stellar. I had the flatbread and was greatly displeased by the taste as well as the quantity presented to me. The portions are chintzy, like the owners are trying to reduce food costs by slimming down the food portions. If I am going to eat a meal in a restaurant I want to feel satisfied and full, knowing that I got my money's worth, which I do not feel I did. The coffee, while good, is not enough to sustain a dying business. I can buy HoboEd's coffee in multiple restaurant in town and a few stores, so they really need to step up their food game if they want this business to survive.

The night life, as in the concerts, is the real driving force for this house, and they do not have enough of it going on during the week. They have gone weekends without any entertainment whatsoever and it's not a great place to have a decent supper. When they finally get an act, the house can get packed, but then you run into issues of crowding by the registers and bathrooms. That is because they have placed obstructions in the way and I am sure that alone presents a safety hazard, but it's not like the owners care, because they are too busy being hateful to one another to notice they run a place of business.

I am subjected to images of the business owners kissing. This is a place of business, right? Shouldn't personal and professional be two separate entities? If that is the case, these two have failed miserably at separating them and that has left the community members feeling uncomfortable about coming into this place of business. The female owner feels the need to tell the community the two are getting married which makes no sense considering the animosity between the two, but that is neither here nor there because as a community, we don't care. We want coffee. We want music. We want good food. I don't care about your personal life. Maybe that's the first thing the new owners need to learn. Take the personal out of it and treat it like a business.

Steel City has always had issues getting people in the doors during the daylight hours and the way this place is being run now, I don't doubt that issues will continue to plague them. This place has been through more ownership changes than any normal business, which begs a question: why would anyone continue to resurrect it if the business alone doesn't make any money?

1  Thank WDrudger
Ed S, Owner at Steel City Coffee House, responded to this reviewResponded December 30, 2016

We are terribly sorry that you did not enjoy your experience at Steel City.
"...they are too busy being hateful to one another to notice..."? You dare to say that our personal lives have no place in business, then pretend to know enough about us to pass judgement?
We would hope that you would have expressed any dissatisfaction directly with us during your visit, but obviously you would rather trash a small business from a safe distance.
We will not be addressing all of your individual comments, as much as we would like to, particularly those regarding our personal lives, as it is clear that your issues go far deeper than just a bad experience at the local coffee shop.
Thank you for your support of small, local businesses!