“A hidden gem”
Review of The Priory Hotel

The Priory Hotel
Ranked #13 of 71 Hotels in Pittsburgh
Reviewed 16 May 2017

Loved this place. From another era - it's plush, comfortable, relaxing, has a certain dignity, definitely not a cookie-cutter chain hotel. Located in a very quiet neighborhood, Deutschtown (Germantown), that is also convenient for getting to other parts of the city. We walked to a good German restaurant from here. Convenient free parking right across the street. Bed was comfortable. Breakfast was excellent - real European continental, with German cold cuts, yogurt, fruits, and a large selection of baked goods from their own bakery (maybe still being baked by monks?) - including the best cheese Danish I've ever had. Will definitely stay here when I visit Pittsburgh again.

Room Tip: We liked our third-floor rooms. Probably all are equally good. Two wings, a new & an older. W...
  • Stayed: May 2017, travelled as a couple
1  Thank JMD_and_LFD
There are newer reviews for The Priory Hotel

Reviewed 10 May 2017

Great location in central Pittsburgh but on a quiet street. An old monastery converted to a hotel but retaining all the charm/décor of 100+ years ago. A family owned hotel with attention to detail. Possibly the best continental breakfast we have ever had, with many locally sourced items (more a buffet breakfast than continental). The bed was very comfortable. Convenient free parking across the street. Staff was friendly and knowledgeable. A hotel shuttle is available to take you out and pick you up later. Very good value and highly recommended for all those that want accommodation with classic charm.

Room Tip: Rooms are various sizes - some with bay alcoves
Reviewed 1 May 2017

Well appointed, upscale feel. Beautiful old building, complete with squeaky floors (no extra charge). Very responsive staff. Parking is a bit unusual, as is the location. But its a very pleasant night. If I return to the downtown area of Pgh, this will be high on my list.

• Stayed: April 2017, travelled with family
Reviewed 1 May 2017 via mobile

Absolutely enchanting place, The Priory Hotel is a nice change of pace from your typical hotel experience. The European breakfast and fitness room were enjoyed during our stay. Also location is within walking distance of downtown.

Stayed: May 2017, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 28 April 2017

We were attending a program at the Allegheny Center, so this was a great location for us. I was a little concerned about the location after some of the reviews. As you drive down Pressley St., I was a little dubious- there are a few boarded buildings on the other end of the block and my husband was questioning my choice. HOWEVER, the Priory is at the end of the block and was another story. Let me be clear, this is a safe area but if you don't want to walk, the shuttle is at your service.

Henry (who drives the shuttle and knows everything about the hotel and the town) was at the door. It is a unique and historic property that has been beautifully maintained and renovated with nice amenities (robes, quality coffee, etc). Our room was on the 3rd floor (elevator) with a king bed, and well appointed. I think the bed was a bit big for the room (or vice versa I suppose), but the room was not small, and the bathroom and sink areas are nice and spacious. Other convenient touches: shuttle phone number and schedule, along with the wifi password are printed on the room key itself. (However, the front desk clerk never pointed that out and he seemed a tad grumpy when I asked for the password).

Breakfast (included) was fresh (delicious baked goods from their bakery), and tasty but while I saw breakfast cold meats, I didn't see any hot items. It was exactly as advertised, but in case you were expecting scrambled eggs and bacon, you won't find them. We took the shuttle to dinner (Henry was helpful with suggestions and also quickly came for a pickup in the evening. Once I got my bearings, I was quite comfortable walking in the evening.

It is true that it is 'in the shade of the highway' (see photo view from our room). While I could see the train and the highway, I didn't find it particularly loud or intrusive.

If I needed to be in the area, I would happily stay here. We really enjoyed the character and comfort of the hotel. It was well priced and a very good value.

Room Tip: If there is a view other than the highway, it would be nicer. There are also some brand new rooms.
Reviewed 12 April 2017

Staff is very nice. Room was small but clean. Shower is barely large enough to stand in but had good pressure. European breakfast was as advertised; I liked it. Neighborhood wasn't so nice. Didn't feel safe walking. They have a shuttle, which is good. The place isn't far from downtown (across the river), but the shuttle doesn't go to the museums and gardens.

• Stayed: April 2017, travelled solo
Reviewed 6 April 2017

Since we typically go to chain hotels when we travel, this hotel was a breath of fresh air. The building had so much character. I loved the creaky steps and the big old windows. The room was clean and neat. The staff was friendly and helpful. We enjoyed the breakfast that was served. It was definitely a lot more classy than a typical chain hotel breakfast. Another nice, personal touch was the shuttle service. Henry, the driver, was fun and had a lot of knowledge about the town. He was also very honest when he needed to let us know that he would not be able to pick us up after a concert and that we would need to make alternate plans. Great experience! We will definitely come back if we are in the Pittsburgh area again.