“Drinks and appetizers”
Review of Acorn

Acorn
Reserve with OpenTable
Acorn is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #173 of 2,444 Restaurants in Pittsburgh
Price range: US$10 - US$60
Description: At Acorn, guests can expect to find a menu of Modern American cuisine that is refined without pretense. Simple, beautiful plates. Local ingredients cooked to season. Care and comfort with our guests in mind.
Reviewed October 3, 2018 via mobile

First visit to this place. A friend of mine wanted to “experiment” Although they seems to have a good list of biers and wine, they cocktail menu was very limited. I was not very impressed by the Colla based cocktail I chose. The food menu was on $$$$$ side and limited and very complex.
We ended up ordering the escargot and crave dishes. It was OK.
The restaurant/bar was mostly empty. I sincerely wish them the best but as far as far as I am concern my favorite remind Soba on all account.

Date of visit: October 2018

Reviewed September 15, 2018

We shared a meal at Acorn with our son and his partner last Wed. We shared several wonderful plates and enjoyed great service. The most memorable part of our dinner was the delightful basket of breads..Small crisp biscuits, little corn muffins and good baguette. We couldn't get enough and they were very generous in bringing more!

Reviewed September 11, 2018

We had lunch at the Acorn a couple weeks ago. The food was wonderful--our table enjoyed the outstanding Tossed chicken salad and yummy burgers. The champagne and cocktails were delightful and the service attentive. The atmosphere is relaxed and it's not loud. Acorn will be a must visit restaurant when we head to Pittsburgh next time!

Date of visit: August 2018
Reviewed September 8, 2018 via mobile

I travel often - weekly. All over US and occasionally globally. To set expectations I eat out at least 3-4 nights every week. My daughter picked Acorn for a dinner on a weekend visit in a Pittsburgh neighborhood we really like. Acorn just celebrated their first anniversary and I am thrilled we found it.

We always look at menus ahead of time to prep for what I want to try. There was an appetizer called “Bread and Butter” (which is a lot like calling a river a creek) and I curiously thought it was odd to charge $12 for bread. So wrong. The bread, toasted and deliciously oiled, was served with butter churned in the kitchen, herbs, honeycomb, apricots. We devoured it. The craft cocktails we watched being made for the first 30 minutes at the bar were amazing, Ice cubes were uniquely done for each drink. We all had different wines by the glass, a very nicely curated selection.

Now to dinner. Our server expertly moved us to the right choices. For 4, we had decided on 2 sides and two entrees. He alerted us that one side (carrots, roasted w goat cheese) was well represented on the beef tenderloin already so we ordered tomato salad with salmon instead. That and the roasted cauliflower just continued the awesome meal. The crusted sea bass and beef tenderloin (for “two” but would have easily served three) entrees were excellent. One of the sides with the beef was smoked potatoes that had then been fried, served w endive. Sigh. We all loved it. The crusted sea bass was over a purée that included caviar. I was so full at this point I can’t do justice to even describe it but the others raved over it. Throughout the evening our server (who was surprisingly newish considering how great he was) was attentive to all - including specific questions about a food allergy with one that we can’t have mistaken. He and the bartender were wonderful recommending wine pairings and encouraging samples before ordering.

The restaurant is beautiful - modern, tasteful, good music that isn’t so loud you can’t have a conversation at your table. The clientele was diverse, nice mix of patrons.

Please- if you are in the area — go. You will love it!!

1  Thank BCOS_7
Reviewed September 1, 2018 via mobile

Five of us had brunch on a Saturday. We started with pancakes, which were delicious. I ad the chilaquiles, which were excellent. My wife and friend had the chicken salad, which according to my wife “was good, not great..the chicken was dry.” Daughters the all everything and biscuits and gravy. Both liked their dishes, though the all everything portion was small.

Very attentive service and really nice space. A very nice option!