“So creative, delicious and closing forever any day now.”
Review of Salt of the Earth - CLOSED

Salt of the Earth
Cuisines: Contemporary
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Reviewed July 18, 2015

Owner is an architect by his first calling; this great restaurant was a diversion. Cool design has community tables and kitchen bar seating downstairs, with 4-top table seating on 2nd level balcony.

VERY reluctantly accommodated food allergies as they don't like to deviate from chef's crafted entrees. And they are excellent. But modify an ingredient and it's like there isn't a single chef in the kitchen able to adapt, just assembly-line sous chefs. But... they did make a (very, very plain) filet and green beans for IBS-stricken husband, with advance notice. I had very best pork belly dish of great imagination and skill; I may never eat pok belly again because it will never be as good. I've been ruined. (Portions were way too large and, sadly, could not take any back left-overs to our hotel.)

This place was a great addition to the dining scene in Pittsburgh. You may only have days left to try to get in. It's worth it... but not if there are ingredients you definitely cannot eat. They don't like making changes to their artwork. But the artwork is pretty darn amazing.

Reviewed July 15, 2015

I'm fighting my subjectivity to give this restaurant a good review. So I'll just start with being objective. The food was exceptional and portions were fair, I had the salmon and the thing melts in your mouth, out of this world. My friend had the chicken and it was as good. So, as far as menu they're high class. The drinks are great as well, and even though it's an open kitchen it's not as smelly. Subjectively speaking now, the tables are communal tables, so you're seating on a stool, next to strangers, trying to have a conversation with your friends and having the person next to you spits all over your $30 salmon as they also try to have a conversation with their friends. I just don't get why purposely cut privacy out, as if we were at a college cafeteria. Oh and by the way, don't even think about bringing a jacket, or a purse for you ladies, you won't have a place to put it other than your lap or the floor. So, even though the food's great I'd rather spent $160 at another place AND get some privacy (and a place to put my jacket), but again, that's my subjective opinion.

2  Thank Lontanicus
Reviewed June 2, 2015 via mobile

Great dinner on a Monday night. Staff were beyond professional and friendly. The restaurant has a comfortable, unpretentious vibe -- good lighting & music, plenty of different seating options.
Some reviews we read mentioned the drink & food were pricey but we found them to be pretty standard for this style of restaurant and well worth what we paid. The cocktails were interesting and there's a decent wine selection. The food was creative and delicious. The steak tartare was pretty bad @$$ - it was refreshing not to have it prepared in the traditional style and the flavors, although unconventional, worked so well together. The rhubarb dessert screamed of almond sweetness and we just about licked the plates.
We enjoyed our meal and if we were local would add it to our rotation.

1  Thank meredithspear
Reviewed May 24, 2015

Our food was very high quality and prepared perfectly. Our server was pleasant and helpful. Also, the atmosphere was great. They have communal seating, although we sat at a regular table on their second floor. The menu isn't huge, but what they have on it is very unique and delicious!

Reviewed May 20, 2015

If you don't mind sitting at a large table with people you do not know and adore great clean sophisticated down home food this restaurant is a great experience. All of the flavors combined were magnificent.