“Thirty-seven year customer tells all.”

Big Jim's Restaurant & Bar
Ranked #95 of 2,288 Restaurants in Pittsburgh
Price range: US$1 - US$20
Cuisines: American, Italian
Good for: Groups
Dining options: After-hours, Dinner, Lunch
Reviewed April 9, 2017 via mobile

I love this place. And if you're like me, you'll love it too. Most times when I go out, I want good food at a reasonable price and to be well-treated. I don't need a whole lot of fancy. Big Jim's provides me all that and more. Enormous portions, fantastic soups, sandwiches and entrees. Delicious!
Highlights: the Veal Parm dinner (easily enough for two normal people) or sandwich (served on half a loaf of bread for your carb loading needs). The Reuben, corned beef piled high on great rye. The pizza is just great.
I cannot comment on their dessert menu because I can't conceive of eating any dessert after the regular meal.
It's also a lot of fun watching other people almost keel over at the sight of other folks' bounty.
Big Jim's makes me smile. Every darn time.

Reviewed March 29, 2017 via mobile

Thought this place looked like a great casual place to catch some grub! Did not disappoint! Portions were large and we came away full with leftovers!

Reviewed March 16, 2017 via mobile

I was just at Big Jims this past weekend and I hadn't been here in about 5 years and the food is still phenomenal. I had the small fish sandwich with fries and slaw and Everything was good even the slaw. Everyone can't make slaw but at Jim's they can. Trust me, give them a try if you've never been here before. I'll be back to get the Big Fish next time..

Reviewed March 13, 2017

I hesitate to post this review, because I fear this well kept secret is going to become too popular. We went on Dr Suess' birthday, and the greater/waitress was dressed up in Dr Suess (cat in the hat?) garb. Friendly and welcoming. Thankfully, there wasn't a wait on this Thursday night about 8.

Food was good and plentiful - chicken parm dinner comes with a large salad to start. Wasn't only that the quantity was good, but the quality too. Beers were reasonably priced as well.

Parking is on street, or there's a small parking lot around back - you'll find it.

1  Thank M B
Reviewed February 20, 2017

My wife and in-laws have learned to trust me to find great places to eat when we travel and this was one of the best. Visited the city for the weekend and this was the first restaurant I took them too. No one was disappointed. We came hungry...left full and took some home with us. I learned about Big Jim's from Diner's, Drive-ins and Dives. When we finally found the place we were seated quickly and our orders taken promptly. Among the four of us we had a Stromboli, Spaghetti with meatballs and Chicken Parm. All of them were absolutely fantastic. I didn't realize just how big the stromboli was until it arrived at the table. There was easily enough to feed 3 people, but I did put a pretty good dent into it before boxing up the rest to take out. Excellent bar and great people made this a great night for all of us. Definitely will go back and recommend this to anyone who loves good food and great service in a neighborhood bar atmosphere. Get there early, 'cause it gets very busy, especially on the weekends.