“Great Birthday Dinner!”

Feng Hibachi & Sushi
Ranked #1,259 of 2,429 Restaurants in Pittsburgh
Reviewed March 7, 2015

Had a wonderful birthday dinner at Feng. We had the Hibachi dinner. Everything was fresh and delicious. The chef at our table was polite and made the whole Hibachi experience a lot of fun. The staff was extremely attentive- they anticipated our needs at every turn. The manager stopped over several times to ensure we were happy with our meal. The price was fair, and we will definitely go back.

Date of visit: March 2015

Reviewed February 23, 2015

We decided to go here when we were looking for somewhere open on Sunday afternoon. The place looks nice on the inside, but the disco lights do tend to flash in your face so we also asked them to turn them off, which they did.

There weren't very many people there at this time of day. Service was attentive. We ordered teriyaki steak and some rolls. The steak was nicely prepared and yummy. Miso soup was somehow bland. The rolls we got were all good. I liked the spiderman roll best.

I don't really live in the area so probably wouldn't go out of my way to eat here again, but I definitely would if I was in the area.

Date of visit: February 2015
Reviewed August 16, 2014

If you want to visit this establishment, go quickly because they will not be in business very long. The prices are moderate dropping about $22 per person but the value is poor and we left a third of our sushi order on the platter. It looked lovely coming out but one bite was enough to tell the story. The sushi rice had the wrong texture: grainy and rough. Also, it missed the vinegar taste and was clearly not prepared by an expert. The real kiss of death was the yucky fish. If you can't cut a decent piece of yellow tail, salmon or tuna then you might as well hang it up. On the flip side, the miso soup was solid and served hot.
When we walked in, we asked them to turn off the laser disco lights which they did. Had they not done so, we would have had to change tables or depart as it was so distracting. I did not try the hibachi but our daughter did: she finished about half her plate and had no desire to bring the rest home. Unless there is a major revision, Feng will tank fast so go quickly before the doors are shuttered.

Date of visit: August 2014
Reviewed July 4, 2014

Feng has literally just opened today. Replacing Tokyo that had replaced something else that replaced Young Bin Kwan that was there for close to 30 years. Unfortunately, the old Chinese man that owned Young Bin loved his Johnny Walker more than the restaurant. Thus, setting off a chain reaction of one new place after another. My mother is in a skilled nursing facility nearby, so we stopped in after spending July 4th with her. The dining room is still the same layout, with waterfall and Koi pond (with no Koi, yet) separating the sushi bar from the main dining room and Hibachi tables. It's had a paint job and been redecorated and is quite comfortable as it always was. Given that today is their first day open, I'll cut 'em a little slack and give 'em a few weeks to get their groove going. However, it wasn't THAT bad. We split a sashimi app which was nice. Unlike sushi, sashimi is hard to mess up. I had the udon noodle soup w/ chicken and tempura shrimp. It was quite good. The noodles are made in-house and taste great but, they need to work on the broth. Not too much flavor. My Dad had the Pad Thai (why in a Japanese place he would get that, but that's him for ya). It was very good but lacked the bean sprouts. My Dad having spent years in the orient was a little miffed, since he's so particular about his Asian food. But again, it did taste very good. The service was very good and quick. I'll be going back in a few weeks to see how they've progressed.

Date of visit: July 2014