“Relaxing, not "posh." Come to experience the spirit of Poconos Past...Still Alive and Kicking”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Shawnee on Delaware
Shawnee River Village 1
Reviewed 7 September 2012

I had a banked week with Interval expiring, and needed to take some vacation time from work. Shawnee was just the right match for me. I'm relatively local, but I've never really experienced the beauty our area has to offer to vacationers. I have now. From River Village 1, you can walk to the beautiful Shawnee Inn and experience the Poconos of the Past, marked by their incredibly hospitality and dedication to customer service. As a Wyndam guest in the legacy Shawnee units, you can request access to the Shawnee Inn indoor pool, which is gorgeous, and has great lounge chairs for your comfort. Your unit will be on the beautiful Shawnee golf course, which is a treat, if you play. The Inn and its properties are all ecologically and organically conscious. The food is wonderful...breakfast and dinner at the Inn, or lunch or dinner at the Gem and Keystone....it's all good (and locally grown. Even the beer is made in their micro-brewery).

Yes, the units are old and in need of refurbishing, the bathrooms leave a lot to be desired (that wierd little orange tub and tiny showers), and there was a strong sulfer odor from the hot water heater....but after a day one day, all of that is diminished by the natural beauty of the Delaware. Yes, there are lots of rustic steps outside the units to climb, plus more stairs inside. This is not the place for anyone with a handicap. But for those who love nature and are in good shape, try a week here...or stay a few days at the Inn. The beauty of the are will win you over. You will be a convert. Don't expect five-star fancy...it's not here. What is here is something that has to be experienced to be appreciated.

So my first impression was "eeewwwwww." Today, my last day here, I'm sorry that I have to leave.
\

Room Tip: Ask to use the pool and gym facilities at the Shawnee Inn. You just need to go to the front desk to...
  • Stayed: September 2012, travelled with friends
3  Thank Lori_Pocono
There are newer reviews for Shawnee River Village 1

Reviewed 5 August 2012

We stayed at Shawnee Village I in the top unit R10 July 2012. I was very scared about staying at this property due to all the negative reiews. Much to our surprise, the condo was fantastic. It was so peacefull. We loved the location being on the top of the other units. There were alot of stairs but that is what made it so fun with all of our kids. The unit was very clean and the beds were so comfortable. We are used to beach vacations so this was a nice change. THere were alot of things to do in the area that were not expensive. I highly recomend Bushkill Falls and the Snake and Animal Farm. We went to both of those plalces twice. Camel Back Adventure park is worth visiting. There are so many unique shops in the area. I was not impressed with the outlets. The mini golf at the activity center was great as well as the pools and the game rooms. We did a wine tour for $15 from the resort. It was amazing. We can not wait to go back.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled with family
3  Thank Darlene M
Reviewed 5 June 2012

We stayed at this resort in June 2012. Our first impression was what a Dump! The paint was peeling, the exterior had signs of advanced dry rot, it looked really bad. Once we saw the inside of the unit that changed to some degree, granted it is rustic and basic. Our unit (17) had been remodeled in 2008 and appeared ready for another. The ammenities of the resort were very basic as well, pool, tennis, game room etc. The fitness room was a few cardio machines that just did not cut it for me. There is no mid-week clean, which is a notch below what we are accustomed. The surrounding area of the golf course & Delaware river on the edge of the property were the saving grace for this stay. For future travelers, keep your expectations in check.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled with friends
3  Thank Hugemaniac1
Reviewed 28 May 2012

We stayed on this property in May 2012. Club Wyndham refers to this property as "rustic". I refer to it as very old and badly in need of renovation. I was amazed that Club Wyndham had the nerve to try to sell us such a timeshare.

On the positive side:

The unit was clean and the grounds were very nice thanks to Shawnee Inn and Golf Resort, the neighbouring property.

On the negative side:

1. This is the fifth timeshare company that I have stayed at in the U.S.in the last three years. In all other timeshares Housekeeping comes in AT LEAST once a week to change the sheets and replace towels if you so wish. Club Wyndham has the nerve to charge a fee for cleaning your unit even once, unless you are staying for more than one week. I inquired about getting clean towels and was told that I would be charged a fee for a fresh bag of towels, or, in the alternative, I could wash them myself in the laundry room under our unit. In the other four timeshare companies we have stayed at, either they brought you a fresh bag of towels for free, came in everyday and replaced the towels if necessary or, at least, gave you clean towels in exchange for the soiled ones.

2. There was an indoor balcony which let to an outdoor one. The indoor one was disgusting, I hated to sit out there. There were, at least, 10 large dead bugs stuck between the filthy screens. The screen door (if you could even call it that) that led to the outside balcony was very old. The bottom panel of the door was attached to the rest of the door on only two of the four sides. I was afraid in open it in fear that it would fall apart.

3. The sheets in the master bedroom were too small for the queen sized mattress. We woke up in the morning to find that we were partially sleeping on a bare mattress (disgusting). The cheap vertical blinds on the windows allowed light to come in so the room was nice and bright at six o'clock in the morning. Fortunately, there were only the two of us staying in the unit so we were able to move to the second bedroom to alleviate these problems.

4 The telephones were the old fashioned ones that probably have not been in stores in the last ten years (without a word of exaggeration). The TV in the master bedroom was also very ancient.

5. There were bedspreads on the beds covering old blankets (something that you don't even see in lower end hotels any more).

6. There were 27 stairs to climb just to get to the front door of the unit which made it difficult with suitcases. There were an additional 13 stairs if you were in one of the higher units.

7. The shower stalls were the tiniest I have ever seen. The floor became slippery when wet and there were no bars to hang onto.

8. Wyndham claims to have renovated the property in 2010. I can't imagine where. At least not in the unit that we stayed in.

One thing that I know for sure, I will never stay on a Club Wyndham property again, let alone, every dreaming of buying one.

Room Tip: Stay somewhere else.
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple
4  Thank Linda129
Reviewed 24 October 2011

September 2011: It was the worst experience of my life. The rooms were dirty, mold on ceiling, cheerios left near frig, showers dirty, and leaves not swept up inside back door. The steps were unbelievable...60 just to front door, then another 14 or so to main level, and another 14 or so to upper bedroom. View of golf course and mountains was beautiful. No bathtub, just a single person 3 ft deep soak tub so that you could not bath small children. Building was not located convenient to most amenities; pool, bbq grills, playground, or mini golf, etc. Mini golf by the way was an extra charge. We did get a room change, but then had to deal with a faulty smoke detector which continued to alarm whenever you did laundry (battery change didn't help-poor construction/ventilation). Glad weather permitted us to sightsee & not spend it in this resort...I don't think it ranks as high as a Motel 6.

Room Tip: Find a different resort in the area other than the Wyndham's.
  • Stayed: September 2011, travelled with family
4  Thank Me M
Reviewed 24 October 2011

The unit (R24) itself was very nice... lots of room, full kitchen, *extremely* comfortable beds, and very clean. The seating in the main living area was quite hard and may be a bit uncomfortable if used for extended periods, so I wouldn't recommend it for the "additional sleeping space" advertised. As the complex is built into a hillside, and R24 is a top-floor unit, it has a significant number of steps to traverse to get to it; but they are not narrow or steep. The screened-in deck is a nice touch, great for relaxing in the evening without having to worry about the local winged bloodsuckers. The resort is far enough from any major roads to be pleasantly quiet, with the exception of the occasional cursing golfer. There is a nice hillside trail (accessible from the back door, avoiding all those steps!) that connects the two River Village complexes for a pleasant morning/evening stroll. It also has a branch that leads to the check-in/recreation building. The resort is well-placed for those wanting to explore the Delaware Water Gap Recreation Area, which boasts many excellent hiking trails (a main trail-head for the AT is nearby), great fall foliage, and lots of Geocaching. :-)
For those days when the weather makes outdoor activities awkward or impossible, the TV was dated (not HD) but watchable, with a decent selection of channels. The wireless internet was quite reliable, though outsourced to AT&T and expensive ($30 for the week). I *still* can't understand why so many resorts do this when the same service is available for free at most chain hotels. Sorry, pet peeve.
A few other observations: Some reviewers have remarked on the stinkbugs, and we did see a couple, but this year they've been a plague on the entire mid-Atlantic region so I don't place any responsibility for them with the resort. The side road that runs the length of this building cluster could use some repair but wasn't too bad. Parking is very limited, so if you have multiple parties staying in one suite try to carpool if possible.
Note: If you're used to chain motels/suites rather than resorts/timeshares this would probably be considered a 4/5, especially if you're into golf or spa, both of which are on-premises but not used by us. Also, we deliberately left the "Value" rating blank, since we traded a timeshare week to stay here and have no idea what it would cost otherwise.

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Mark_and_Neida
Reviewed 26 January 2011

Stayed here 1 year ago -different unit. Great people at check-in.
Upon arival, found a heat problem, which was repaired by the time we returned from dinner. (nice little card from Vincent-maintenence). Condo was very CLEAN. Most furniture looked new. Plenty of towels. Great view of mountains. Outside on units needs to be painted -lot of peeling. Very Relaxing.

• Stayed: January 2011, travelled with friends
7.5 km away
Hampton Inn Stroudsburg / Poconos
3.6 km away
Staybridge Suites East Stroudsburg - Poconos
Staybridge Suites East Stroudsbu...
#4 of 8 in East Stroudsburg
5.5 km away
Budget Inn & Suites
Budget Inn & Suites
#2 of 8 in East Stroudsburg
4.9 km away
Wolf Hollow at The Water Gap Country Club
Wolf Hollow at The Water Gap Cou...
#1 of 3 in Delaware Water Gap

Been to Shawnee River Village 1? Share your experiences!