“Worst Timeshare I Have Ever Stayed In”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Shawnee on Delaware
Shawnee River Village 1
Reviewed 8 July 2014

I expected great things from a Wyndham managed resort and was grossly disappointed. I have to say almost all of our issues are directly attributable to poor management, not the unit itself. We couldn't check in on time and had to wait two hours, as our unit was not ready. The person helping me indicated they had 580 units and were busy...not my problem! We didn't have any washcloths and were told they would be sent. The next day, at 3 p.m., we were told they "didn't get to it yet". One of the toilets was broken overnight until they could fix it, but I will say they did send a maintenance person right away. The unit was full of ants and spiders. The unit itself was decent - it was obviously remodeled within the past few years. However, you had to climb many stairs to reach it. From bottom to the top floor of our unit, there were 75 steps! This resort is in a great location and has the potential to be great. But, first, it needs to be properly managed.

Room Tip: If there are older people in your party, do not stay here. The 75 steps were a bit much for my pare...
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
5  Thank gr8day4sun
There are newer reviews for Shawnee River Village 1

Reviewed 28 June 2014

After reading the other reviews, I was somewhat fearful about out stay at Shawnee River Village. But the check in was smooth and the host was very agreeable to our concerns about too many steps. WE were 3 older women on a 4 day golfing trip. Our unit (R116), while a bit dated furniture, was very clean, with new kitchen appliances. Towels, were very thick and plenty of them. Missing hair dryer, we called and were provided with one immediately.Location was terrific to all golf courses we were playing. The Shawnee course (27 holes) is located on an island in the middle of the Delaware. The staff were extremely friendly and helpful. We had a terrific 4 days at Shawnee!

Room Tip: ask for one with only 14 stairs, units are quiet and easy to get luggage into. Others have 120 steps...
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends
2  Thank Sharon F
Reviewed 15 October 2013 via mobile

Booked a long weekend here with friends. Units are outdated and need a lot of TLC. Not your typical Wyndham Timeshare. Supplies were low. Activities were minimal. It appears they are remodeling the units although not sure what the upgrades involve. This has the potential to be a great resort if Wyndham can make it happen. Will take lots of money and effort.

Stayed: October 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank Minitrains
Reviewed 21 July 2013

This stay was so disappointing! We attempted to check in a few hours early, but our room wasn't ready. We were told it would be put on a priority list, and they'd let us know as soon as it was ready, which was fine. We were then told we needed to go the guest services desk to get our parking permits. There, we were asked to attend a "hotel survey" presentation, for which we would be compensated. We declined several times, after which the lady appeared to totally lose interest in us. We had to ask for the parking permits. Our room wasn't ready until the actual check-in time (because we didn't attend the presentation?!?)

Upon entering our condo, we found that it was really hot inside. The temp outside was very hot, but inside, the downstairs was bearable, but the upstairs must've been 90-95 degrees! It didn't seem like the a/c was working well at all - could barely feel any cool air coming through the vents. I called guest services, & was told to close the vents downstairs to help push the cool air upstairs. This was not possible on all vents, since some of them were broken, but we did the best we could. It did not seem to help. We ended up having to buy a couple fans. When it was time to go to bed, my son found bugs in his bed. I don't think they were bed bugs, but still disturbing! We also found ants under the nightstand. When I called guest services, I was told "Well, I could enter a work order to spray, but it'll take a few days for it to work, so what do you want me to do?" I asked to switch condos, and they eventually allowed us to do that, but without ANY apologies for the inconvenience of packing up two kids, all our stuff, and unpacking again. The new condo was also very hot, but appeared bug-free. However, the sheets were dirty on a couple of the beds (stains). There was a puddle of water in the ceiling tiles in the kitchen that was dripping, but when we reported that the next day, the front desk people could care less! They didn't really respond to our report, & nothing was done about it during our 4 day stay. The condos could be really a nice place to stay - lots of room, great location, etc., but the living conditions need improving!

Room Tip: The original condo with the bugs was R65. We moved to R163, which was more updated, but slightly sma...
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
6  Thank doylestownmama
Reviewed 21 June 2013

The room was advertised as a Wyndham resort room but it was not a Wyndham room. Wyndham should be ashamed of their association with Shawnee River Village 1. I don't have any good things to say about the room. The first thing you notice as you walk up the stairs to the room is the peeling paint and rotting clapboards on the outside of the building. As you approach the door, one can't help but notice the rusty metal door and the holes at the bottom of the door. Once in the room, you notice right away that you've stepped back into the early 1980's. It's immediately apparent from the dead bugs, broken floor tiles, crooked counter top and worn out rug that the room needs major updating and a thorough cleaning. Other problems included a broken hot tub, leaking chimney, rusting refrigerator and a barely functioning TV.

I complained and the staff acted as if I was making up stories about dilapidated state of the room. It took a day but my family and I were moved to another room and it was not much better.

Room Tip: Be absolutely positive you're booking a Wyndham resort unit that's been completely refurbish...
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank Joe B
Reviewed 25 May 2013

Recently stayed here after getting a free week from Interval. We knew going in that the reviews were not great so had limited expectations. The check-in was a mess since we had booked River Village 1, and they checked us into River Village 2. I mentioned that we really wanted the golf course view and open porch. He asked if I was sure which unit I booked. I was and when I asked if he wanted to see the confirmation he was dismissive and said we would have one with our unit and it was nicer.

They immediately sent us to a Guest Service specialist who I also mentioned the switch too and she said "it happens" and immediately tried selling me a unit. I mentioned but for now just wanted to go to the unit. that I might go to the presentation the next morning.Went to the unit at River Village 2 and saw we had a nice view of the neighbors deck about 5 feet away. Drove back to check-in and spoke to the woman at Guest Services.She immediately asked if I wanted to sign up fort the sales presentation the next morning. When I mentioned not sure I just wanted to switch to River Village 1 as I had booked. Her tone changed as her whole service apparently was just trying to bring me into the presentation and not really help.
She told me to get in the check in line (which I had stood in once and now faced with another half hour wait) and to beg them to switch me to unit i first booked.

The new clerk was able to move us. I thanked her repeatedly and mentioned that one of the reasons we wanted that was for the outdoor deck. When we got to the new unit it was nice but we found out the upper units only have the enclosed porch and not the additional outdoor one like the lower ones.

The unit itself was nicer than what I expected. The kitchen was well stocked with equipment and utensils. It also seemed clean.

The living room was disappointing as it was very dated with old ski lodge type seating (cushions on wood). The cushion seemed very dirty and we stopped sitting on them the 2nd day when a 3inch bug/spider hybrid looking thing crawled along the cushions as we watched the old, small tv.

The lower bedroom had two beds. It was nice and dark in the bedroom. 2 beds which were too soft for my tastes, but the biggest complaint was the fitted sheets were not big enough for the bed so we woke up laying in the bare mattress which was gross.

The upper bedroom had one queen bed and a TV. The room had plenty of light and windows and a small bathroom right outside it. It was a little warm as there was only one small floor vent. The bathroom was like a sauna since there was a small heater that worked non stop. Total waste of energy for the resort as we had to open a window.

Even though i pointed out a lot of negatives, we liked the unit for the privacy. The other offerings at this resort look private from the online pics but seems like River Village one has the most privacy when sitting outside on your deck. Also, enjoyed the view of the golf course.

If you do not like stairs or bugs this section of the resort will be a problem. Many, many moths in the unit. They were in every room and in every curtain. I was fine with them but the bugs in he cushions definitely made us uncomfortable in the living room to the point we never went in it all week.

The resort has a lot of offerings for kids. Big pools, basketball courts, volleyballs and indoor rec center. The fitness room was disappointing for a resort with a thousand units as it had 2 steppers, 2 treadmills, and 2 bikes.

Some staff were very pleasant (rec center staff) and other couldnt care less (check-in) or too focused on making a sale to listen to a guest (Guest Services).

There was a shared laundry room by the car port which was nice, especially considering it was free. Parking here was tight since if you have more than one car it probably better to leave one at Shawnee Inn or REc Center.
Overall we probably wont book here again but would take another free week. Be prepared for bugs older units but at the same time you can enjoy the sights of the lower Pocono Mountains.

Room Tip: rooms are diverse throughout resort. In River Village 1 if you want less steps and an outdoor deck...
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank lyoto
Reviewed 27 April 2013

First, I tried to submit this review through Tripadvisor back when we came home from this trip, which was June 2009. It was rejected because it was a timeshare resort, which is mentioned in other people's reviews, so I'm not sure why they rejected the review. I've decided that I needed to add my two cents because these units at this resort are awful and people need to be warned.

So I shall begin: I initially researched this resort online and was quite hesitant to take it based on the awful reviews. But, at the time there were limited openings at this resort so I went ahead and booked it for one week for my husband and myself to celebrate a belated honeymoon. I tried to reason with myself, that since the resort is owned by Wyndam their properties were typically well cared for and somewhat upscale I figured since Wyndam took over, that these older units would've been upgraded and re-vamped. Well, I was very wrong!

Shawnee River Village 1 overlooks the golf course, which is beautiful but the units are ancient and depressing. Plus, there are no elevators or easy way to get to them but to haul your stuff up a flight and half of rickety stairs (we were on the second level). We felt very bad for the people on the third levels.

We checked in a day late and in the evening. So we had to check in at the Rec. center where there was only two people waiting in front of us and check in went relatively fast. They do ask you for a $50 deposit that gets credited back after you check-out (if you put it on your debit card it takes 30 days to credit back to you).

When we walked into our unit we were immediately disappointed and depressed. The furniture and decor seems to date back 20 + or so years. The only nice feature is that it does have a screened in porch that leads onto an open porch with a gorgeous view. The living room furniture is dark wood benches with hard foam cushions covered in an old fashioned plaid material. The cushions tended to slide apart when you lay or sit on them for extended periods of time. The master bedroom mattress was hard as a rock and I woke up in the middle of the night with horrible back pain. We had to move to the second bedroom and choose the softest of the two double beds in there. The master bath is partly out into the bedroom,( the large mirror and sink and counter), the commode and small shower stall are thankfully separate. The second bath has a weird red tub that is deep but not wide. It was actually kind of creepy. We found out it is called a "Japanese soaking tub". The housekeeping was also sub-standard. We even found a balled up dirty kleenex in there and dead bugs on the kitchen floor. There is no laundry area in the unit, you have to go downstairs outside to get to the laundry room. There was also a terrible odor of raw sewage outside where we were parked.

After a day and a half there of staying in that horrible unit, combined with rainy weather and we agreed to sit through their timeshare sales pitch which lasted 2 hours. We did manage to complain about our unit to our sales rep who said we had to complain to the company we booked our trip through (Interval). So we called the company that night and complained that the unit was sub-standard and not even close to your typical Wyndam resort. Their offer was for us to leave that night and we'd get our week back to use some other time, somewhere else plus associated deposit fees. They didn't have any other availabilities in the Poconos. It was 8:00 at night and we had 3 hours to decide, plus we lived 11 hours away and had come by car and to top it off I was horribly sick. We didn't have the funds to stay in a hotel since we had budgeted for this, so we called back and got a different rep and asked if we could at least stay the night and leave in the morning instead of that minute. Well, they had another unit available in Ridge Top Summit which they said was Wyndam's newer units, so we jumped on that opportunity and said we'd take it.

Well, come to find out from the wonderful front desk supervisor, Pat, we didn't need to go through all that hassle, we should've come directly to them at the Wyndam check in desk, the sales rep had been wrong to advise us to call who we booked the trip through. When it was all said and done, Pat ignored the unit our booking company wanted to put us in, which was still an older unit, and she put us in one of Wyndam's beautiful units with a huge jacuzzi tub, updated decor and furnishings and beautiful outdoor foliage. We also were presented with 2 bottles of wine, courtesy of the manager via Pat for congratulations on our marriage and honeymoon.

These older units might be fine if you don't want any type of 5 star accomodations, don't mind hard bedding or sofa and plan on sight-seeing, doing outdoor activities with the kids, etc. Otherwise, these units are horrible and I would not even refer my worst enemy to stay here.

There are wonderful restaurants nearby (Sam Snead's Tavern which is right on the golf course, awesome upscale place w/ great food and service) and some great local attractions. The golf course looked beautiful to play on. It rained most of the week so we were stuck doing a lot of indoor things - Pocono Candle Factory, where we made our own candle. One of the local winery's for wine tasting, we did get to the Delaware Water Gap on one good day for some great pictures.

Room Tip: DO NOT waste your money and book a vacation at Shawnee River Village 1 or 2. The other units on the...
  • Stayed: June 2012, travelled as a couple
7.5 km away
Hampton Inn Stroudsburg / Poconos
3.6 km away
Staybridge Suites East Stroudsburg - Poconos
Staybridge Suites East Stroudsbu...
#4 of 8 in East Stroudsburg
5.5 km away
Budget Inn & Suites
Budget Inn & Suites
#2 of 8 in East Stroudsburg
4.9 km away
Wolf Hollow at The Water Gap Country Club
Wolf Hollow at The Water Gap Cou...
#1 of 3 in Delaware Water Gap

Been to Shawnee River Village 1? Share your experiences!