See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed January 8, 2009

We stayed at Shawnee River Village 1 from Dec 27, 2008 through Jan 2, 2009. The villas are showing there age, but with young children this can be an asset. You don't mind if they jump on the furniture or track mud inside. The units are better for 4 because the sleeper couches aren't much to sleep on especially for adults. The rec ctr has a beautiful pool. Zero entry for tots or handicapped is a big plus. The locker rooms need better attention. The fitness center, make that room, should be enlarged. Some free weights jammed into a corner with treadmills, elliptical and bicycles inches apart. The center has plenty of room and this was planned poorly. The Poconos in the winter is for the ski/snowboard set. Not much to do if you're not a skier. I do not recommend staying a full week. Long weekend is suffice. Wyndham has just taken over management of the property. It will be interesting to see the improvements over time. I hope they tear down and rebuild and not build new on some beautiful landscape.

Date of stay: December 2008
  • Trip type: Travelled with family
    • Check-in / front desk
2  Thank James B
Reviewed December 9, 2006

We have a last minute getaway to do some early snowboarding. The resort is very quiet in early December. The Shawnee Mountain just open this weekend and it was great. Only two trail are open for opening day but they did a great job. The Fairfield Shawnee itself is very clean and quiet. Commen areas are well maintain and the view from River Village units are georgous. It is closest to the Shawnee Inn by the Delaware River with a golf course and mountain/river view.
We have a two bedroom unit which is on a smaller scale than the two bedroom Ridgetop unit I have stayed in. The kitchen and dining area is clean and updated. Two part section porch, one screen in with roof and one not. The living area has old fashion fire place and three sided sitting area. Both TV is small in the unit. The bedrooms are on upper level with one queen and two queens rooms. Bathrooms are small but efficient, not fancy. The unit is definitely older but well equiped.

Date of stay: November 2006
  • Trip type: Travelled with family
    • Check-in / front desk
6  Thank schong
Reviewed June 7, 2006

My family and I recently returned from our trip to the Poconos and Eastern Pen. Overall it turned out to be a good trip, however, upon check in at RV1 it got off to a shaky start. The main check-in/recreation building is very nice, new, and well kept. While I was checking-in, my family looked around, and became excited about our home away from home. When we pulled up to our unit, we started getting the feeling that Shawnee's attention was directed at the rec center, and not the resort as a whole. The buildings were very obviously older, with what landscaping that remained being overgrown and overrun with weeds. It was apparent that the siding hadn't seen the spray of power washer, let alone a hose in many years. When we entered the unit itself, our first impression was that the unit needed some updating, but that it was clean. Upon further inspection, the uncleanliness of the unit came into light. The carpet in the living room was thouroughly stained from many years of use and neglect. Actually, a very dirty throw rug was used in one spot to cover up the dirtiest patch of carpet. The master bathroom wall surrounding the toilet had not seen cleaning solution nor a rag in a long time, and the remnants of many a middle of the night bathroom trip in an unfamiliar room were obvious. From the stale, dirty rags left in the middle of the bedroom floor, it looked as though cleaning personnel were present at one time. The tub in the hall bathroom was one of the most bizzarre sights I had ever seen. It soon became known by my 4 and 6 year olds as "the can" It is essentially a bright red 4 foot deep cylinder in which you bathe. I actually had visions of Burt Renolds soaking in it holding a cigarette--it was very, very dated; cool at one time, but not now.

All in all, aside from wearing shoes from the time we arose, until we went to bed, and performing some spring cleaning ourselves, the room was bearable. Not up to the standards of the many other timeshare resorts we have exchanged at, but a place to eat breakfast, get ready for days of visiting the area, watching the weather channel, and sleeping at. We were informed that the resort has been purchased by the Fairfield group, which based upon our experiences at other resorts within their family, will potentially make this a much better managed, more enjoyable place to visit and stay.

Date of stay: May 2006
18  Thank Curiosity38282
Reviewed March 18, 2006

I have been coming to the Poconos for well over 20 years. Now that I have a family, I love having a place to go where the kids are safe, there is beautiful scenery, golfing,canoeing and rafting on the Delaware River is right on site, indoor rec center with pool, outdoor pools, basketball, golf courses. During the week, they have a campfire with marshmallows. Horseback riding is near by, as is Shawnee Water Park and CamelBeach water park. Did I mention they have an activity program for the kids? The units in RV1 have been updated. The one we stayed in was awesome, overlooking the "famous" white bridge on the golf course from our screened in porch. There is lots to do with the kids along Rte 209, and the flee market on Rte 209 North is not to be missed. We also go back every fall for the Balloon Festival held on the grounds. Sort of a Country Fair, Oktoberfest and Balloon Festival all rolled in to one. Rides and games for the kids. Good Value for the money. If you are looking for charming...this is it.

Date of stay: August 2004
8  Thank Zart1
Reviewed September 8, 2005

The condo was updated in 2004 but the livingroom had a major mold problem that after 4 days we checked out. Management did not seem to be worried about the baking soda that was spread all over the couchs and pillows to fix the smell. But I did not feel that my 2 & 5 year olds should be around the mess and smell.

Date of stay: August 2005